Author Topic: Shipp Belting rubber matting on dogwalk  (Read 1538 times)

Tracey Kroll

Shipp Belting rubber matting on dogwalk
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »
Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the rubber mats from Shipp Belting to stay on my dogwalk for more than a few weeks before the last two feet from the end start peeling up. The mats are attached to a wood dogwalk and I used a 3M glue I bought at Home Depot that gets applied with a brush like a paint. Don't remember the exact name but it smelled stinky  ;)

Is there a better adhesive I should try? It seems last summer that the extreme heats (95 degrees+) were when it would peel up the most. Has anyone screwed the skins to the boards in addition to the glue? I would try this but think that regular screws would rust and since galvanized screws are coated with something to rust-poof them, I'm not sure if they're OK if the dog's feet to come in contact with.

Thanks!

-Tracey Kroll
Kansas City area, MO

StefanElvstad

• Judge
Re: Shipp Belting rubber matting on dogwalk
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
Rubber reacts opposite to most other materials to heat - rubber shrinks when it gets hot and expands when it cools off, while most other materials expand with heat and shrink when they cool off. This is what makes it very challenging to get the matting to stay attached when it gets really hot - the contraction force of the rubber is stronger than the strength of the glue.

I've use contact cement, and it seems to work reasonably well. I have seen people staple the matting using monel or stainless (neither of which will rust) staples. That has the advantage of allowing you to restaple it if/when the staples get losend. By putting the staples in the "valley" between the ridges of the matting, the dogs' feet won't touch them. Using a pneumatic stapler makes the process much easier, but I'm sure a regular roofer's hand stapler would also work.
Stefan Elvstad
Liberté Agilité Fraternité

Roger Coor

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
I have also seen in addition to the glue to use screws with a grommet type washer along each side about every foot, and that works great.

Amy McGovern

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:35:03 AM »
We used a staple gun and it seems to be holding well.  Oklahoma sun isn't kind and I think the rubber matting is on its 3rd year outside and looking good.  The wood before it only lasted a few years.

-Amy and the schnauzers
Amy and the schnauzers

dmadrid

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
My club had the same problem you did. Eventually, we did screw the rubber down. While that has helped, it's not a perfect solution (we are now having problems with the wood under the rubber).

We are planning on replacing our wood/black rubber dogwalk with aluminum/rubberized surface. A friend has these contacts, and they have held up really well in the Texas heat.
Danielle

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
I use Chemrex 948 - it's an industrial adhesive originally recommended by RB rubber for the older 3/4" heavy matting we used to use. I usually purchase the large caulk tubes, squeeze it on, then use a grooved trowel to spread it around. Give it a quick spritz with water, let it sit ~20 min, then apply the rubber. I usually weight it down to help it adhere really well and leave it for 2 or so days. I always let it cure at least a week before I run dogs across it. It can probably be used sooner, but I've never been in a rush.

You can find the adhesive online or you can contact the company to see if there is a flooring store in your area that carries it. There are only 2-3 place in the Denver area that carry it.

I've used it for both the old, thick matting and the newer thin stuff and it's held up really well! The edges where I didn't get enough glue sometimes try to stick up, but it's never even come close to coming off and I haven't had to use rivets, screws, or anything else.

My older set of contacts sit outside year round in CO and last year we had a ton of days in the 90's (and currently have that now). The older set is mats on top of sealed plywood.

My newer set is the thin matting on top of aluminum. Those stay in my equipment trailer, but are used at trials four times per year.

Lindsey
www.mountaindogsports.com

Tim Evans

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »
This is a link to a YouTube video that Shipp sent me on how to install their matting: Or you can search YouTube for "dog agility matting" to find the video. I used contact cement and screwed the edges down with screws & grommets and we haven't had any problems, although the equipment hasn't been out in the weather.

...Tim
(Tim Evans & Kobe)

Tracey Kroll

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
Thanks all for the advice!! Have brought the dogwalk in for "rehab" and will be securing it with more than just glue this time!

-Tracey Kroll
Kansas City, MO (where it's probably gonna be a hot summer....again)