Author Topic: Barrel Rules  (Read 2588 times)

rnhende

Barrel Rules
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
I can't find anything on NADAC Forum or Rule Book regarding barrels.  Are dogs required to go a specific direction around a barrel (clockwise / counter clockwise) .  How is it marked?  Must the dog be sent from a particular distance?  Haven't see  them on  a course yet
Bob Henderson

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
Re: Barrel Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »
Based on my understanding from Sharon's posts on the forum on this subject, barrels can be directional (clockwise, anti-clockwise) or bi-directional.  If used in Chances or Extreme Chances, they could be directional or bi-directional from behind a restriction line.

Al & Pelli in OH
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
I can't find anything on NADAC Forum or Rule Book regarding barrels.  Are dogs required to go a specific direction around a barrel (clockwise / counter clockwise) .  How is it marked?  Must the dog be sent from a particular distance?  Haven't see  them on  a course yet
Bob Henderson

Novice and Open will be bi-directional.  Elite "could" be mandated, but it would be because that is the direction with the most flow, not to enhance challenge.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

nsonenfield

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
How about rules about where the handler can stand or direct their dog from on a standard course?  There was some discussion about this at a trial I attended in NJ.  The thought was the handler could not move about the barrel with the dog on the inside - but it was ok if the dog was on the outside- I don't know if that is correct though.  What about the movement of the handler's arms and hands-ie could the handler reach over the barrel or around the barrel with their arms for a novice dog who doesn't send around the barrel yet?  Thanks for clarifying!
N Sonenfield and
The JGJ scottie pack from MD

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
How about rules about where the handler can stand or direct their dog from on a standard course?  There was some discussion about this at a trial I attended in NJ.  The thought was the handler could not move about the barrel with the dog on the inside - but it was ok if the dog was on the outside- I don't know if that is correct though.  What about the movement of the handler's arms and hands-ie could the handler reach over the barrel or around the barrel with their arms for a novice dog who doesn't send around the barrel yet?  Thanks for clarifying!

In EGC, the handler cannot be between the dog and the barrel.  But when a barrel is used in NADAC non-EGC classes, the obtacle is just like any other obstacle.  The handler can run around it, extend their arm past it.... as long as you don't touch it, you are fine!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Wild Terriers

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Barrel Rules
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
So, in regular agility it is ok for the handler to be between the barrel and the dog?  Learn something new every day. . . .  Guess I can call it a day now ...

Karen
Karen and the Wild Terriers

AnnG

• GREEN MOUNTAIN DOCK DOGS
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
I tried EGC Barrels with my novice dog in May, he loved it but I was so confused over which way I was supposed to send him around the barrel as there are no course maps and the cone was inside the barrel. we were faulted/ Eliminated because I sent him the wrong way around.   How should barrels be marked so you know which way to go.  We are entered in another EGC Barrelers this Friday July 5 and I would like to get it right this time!
Ann and Otie

Erin Wajda

• Judge
    • Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Barrel Rules
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:21:16 AM »
Ann all you have to do is ask.  :). We number the barrels as best we can and then we do a general briefing.  If you are still confused we are always available to help.
Erin Wajda
Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Sand Lake, NY

Karl Schulzki

• Judge
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
I was at a trial in Lacrosse Wisconsin on the weekend and the judge replaced a "C" shaped tunnel with a directional barrel in an Open Regular run.  We were told since the tunnel wasn't bi-directional the barrel wouldn't be.

Karl and Halo

A Jussero

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »
Another question on barrels:  In Beginner Agility when using the barrel option, do we use stricter EGC rules or can the handler be between dog/barrel, put hand over barrel, etc., as was indicated we could do on regular courses.
Ann J.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 09:43:26 AM »
I was at a trial in Lacrosse Wisconsin on the weekend and the judge replaced a "C" shaped tunnel with a directional barrel in an Open Regular run.  We were told since the tunnel wasn't bi-directional the barrel wouldn't be.

Karl and Halo

That call would be at the discretion of the judge if they felt that the course would be "harmed" by a lack of flow if offered as a "bi-directional" barrel.  If the course was originally designed for the use of a barrel, then the barrel would always be bi-directional.  But if the barrel is being put in to replace a tunnel in the original design then the judge might feel that they must keep the original intended flow path that the original course had.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

A Jussero

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:45:56 AM »
Another question on barrels:  In Beginner Agility when using the barrel option, do we use stricter EGC rules or can the handler be between dog/barrel, put hand over barrel, etc., as was indicated we could do on regular courses.

Never did get an answer on this and we have another BA trial 11/10 so wondered if someone would give me the information???

Thank you.
Ann J.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »

Never did get an answer on this and we have another BA trial 11/10 so wondered if someone would give me the information???

Thank you.

Sorry, I missed that one.  The barrel rules for BA will follow EGC rules.  We are trying to prepare the upcoming participants to all types of NADAC classes.  When they pass BA under the stricter rules of EGC, they are much more prepared for the trial arena!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

A Jussero

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
Thanks for the response--and we have been following EGC rules so I guess we're okay!   As for seeking a new home, much as I would love it, North Dakota is not a good place to be right now, sorry.  Good luck on your search.
Ann J.