Author Topic: old dogs  (Read 1254 times)

rnhende

old dogs
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
I have a dog who will be 12 in August.  He still loves agility but is having some speed and jumping challenges.  Are there (will  there be) any additional concessions for 'old' dogs besides Veterans and Skilled?
Bob Henderson

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
Re: old dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
Other than Veteran Handler, which would benefit time-wise in the non-jumping classes, no . . . and while I cannnot and will not speak for Sharon, I'll comfortably say that no other allowances will be forthcoming.  We have two 13 year old BCs . . . and have had two previous 14 year old BCs that LOVE(D) agility all of their lives; but whose jumping, contact climbing and weaving careers ended between 12 and 13 . . . and correctly so . . . just normal aches and pains made those performance activities NOT as much FUN as they once were.  Our current 13 year old kids get to play the game in Novice Tunnelers, Skilled, with their veteran handlers . . . and in Hoopers, if it's offered . . . and with Extreme Games sequences that we set up at home for them.

Just because a older dog can no longer make time or jump, doesn't mean that they still can't play the game and HAVE FUN!!!  Not making time, dropping bars, refusing to climb contacts, etc. are all signals that our kids still want to play . . . but they just can't do it all anymore . . . and may not be able to qualify . . . but they still LOVE their moments of time "center stage" where the "spotlight" is on them . . . and they've EARNED the right to enjoy that!!!

JMHO,

Al, "the old fart", "the elders", Dred & Gael . . . and my soon to be "veteran", Pellinore

Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Sionnach

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
 JMHO, but if your dog is having jumping issues in Skilled Veterans, then it's probably time to think about not doing classes with jumps - one of the many things I love about NADAC is that we have the option to choose classes that give handling challenges and the fun of running without the stresses of jumping, weaving, or whatever obstacle(s) a particular dog may have problems with. 
  As my first agility dog aged, I gradually phased out things that were giving him difficulty - first to go were weave poles... we stopped doing Regular when he was 12 or so, and if there were weaves in Chances, I made up my own course and bypassed them (asking the judge's permission every time). Then, around 13 or so, even Skilled Veterans height jumps began to be too much, so we did only in Touch & Go, Tunnelers, and Hoopers. Next to go were contacts, then tunnels... at the end of his career we did only Hoopers, and I would cut the run short as need be.  And the day we stepped on a course and he looked wobbly at the second hoop, I stopped the run right there & retired him.
Sarah F
Cenau Goch - Novice Versatility, Novice Triple Superior, Novice All-Around; S-OAC,  O-OCC, S-OJC, O-TNG-O,  S-WV-O, S-TN-O, S-HP-O; EAC, O-EJC, O-TN-E
Cerys Coesau - NAC, NCC, NJC, TNG-N, O-TN-N
Always in my memory: Brenin, Morag Thistledown, & Rocsi Cadarn, w/far too many titles to list....

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
I have a dog who will be 12 in August.  He still loves agility but is having some speed and jumping challenges.  Are there (will  there be) any additional concessions for 'old' dogs besides Veterans and Skilled?
Bob Henderson

You can get a lower height and more time (10% more time) by entering Skilled.... and then you get another lowered height and more time (20% more time) by entering Skilled Veterans.

There are no additional concessions for older dogs other than you can drop from Elite to either Open or Novice.... When one looks at the times from Elite Proficient to Novice Skilled Veterans the time has doubled, the courses will be shorter and the challenges would be less.  There really aren't any other possibilities allowed other than no longer entering the jumping class or classes that are no longer fun for the dog.  If they are still fun for the dog then one can run for fun without the need for a qualfiying run... just to enjoy the time well spent with their canine partner...!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility