Author Topic: Veteran Division vs Veteran handler  (Read 679 times)

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Veteran Division vs Veteran handler
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:34:13 AM »
Currently I run as a veteran handler so Cocoa jumps at 8 inches instead of his 'normal' 12 inches.   When he turns 8 years old, he will run as a veteran dog.   We can only run in 1 division, correct?   So I do not sign up as vet handler and he will still jump at 8 inches.   Only if we changed from proficient to skilled would he jump at 4 inches.

Are my conclusions above correct?

Thanks.

Isabel
Isabel and Cocoa

DeafSheltieMom

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • Course builder
Re: Veteran Division vs Veteran handler
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
Yes and no.  As a Vet Dog, Cocoa would be entered at 8" in the jumping classes (Chances, Regular and Jumpers), but at 12" in the games (Tunnelers, Touch n Go, Weavers, Hoopers).  Entered with a Vet Handler,  Cocoa would be competing with the 8" dogs in the games--you would get the time that 8" dogs have, vs. the 12" dog time if entered as a Vet Dog.  Make sense?  Vet Handlers also must enter all of their dogs as running with a Vet Handler, whereas you can enter a dog as a Vet Dog individually.

Also, also....  I believe there is an age where a Vet Dog MUST be entered in Skilled and take both height breaks.  I think it is when they become double-digit dogs (10 and over), but I'm not sure.  Sharon?

-dayle
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to: Hutch and Tesla;
              Alva, Wilbur, Orville, Misty - Beautiful sheltie
                                 souls waiting at the Bridge

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
Re: Veteran Division vs Veteran handler
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
Entering as a Vet Handler automatically puts Cocoa in the Vet Division (jumping 4" lower) in the jumping classes and has afforded Cocoa 10% more time in the non-jumping classes, so there should be no change in how you enter when the dog turns 8.  You can just keep entering as VH since that enters Cocoa as a vet dog in the jumping classes.  If for some reason you do not want to enter as VH anymore, then you would have to indicate Vet Division on your entries.

If you enter Vet Division or VH and Skilled category, yes he will run at 4".
Jeff L.