Author Topic: Pet Car Restraints  (Read 2411 times)

Grasshopper

Pet Car Restraints
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
For reference - here is the link regarding pet car restraints:

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/03/07/german-law-requires-pet-car-restraints-do-you-restrain-your-pets/

Another factor to take into consideration - the crumple zone.
Susan Mizzell

Kathy Thacher

Re: Pet Car Restraints
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:39:22 AM »
I agree--the crumple zone is a huge factor for me.  That's why my dogs ride in the back seat where they are protected by the structure of the car. I use the Roadie seat belts by Ruff Rider. I have two of the older style, and one in the new style.  The new style is just fine and I like not having to mess with attaching the two parts.

As for the video that makes it look like harnesses don't work, keep in mind that it had more to do with the style of that harness.  It failed at the place where it clipped to the car.  Roadies don't have clips.  They have loops that you put the car's own seat belt through.  Since the harness is tested to be as strong or stronger than the car's seat belt, failure is almost impossible.

Kathy Thacher (in case my auto-signature doesn't work)
Kathy Thacher

Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
Another link with more information regarding pet car restraints and safety.  It also has link to a first responder decal for your car window.

http://www.squidoo.com/dogcarsafety
Susan Mizzell

Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
There is an article regarding this topic on page 13 of Clean Run's June 2012 issue.  It includes information about a crate that has been crash tested, along with information about barriers, harnesses and booster seats.

Safe travels,

S Mizzell
Susan Mizzell

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »
There is an article regarding this topic on page 13 of Clean Run's June 2012 issue.  It includes information about a crate that has been crash tested, along with information about barriers, harnesses and booster seats.

Safe travels,

S Mizzell

Yes, it's called the Variocage.  The first time I saw it, I thought it looked like a guillotine or a jail cell.  But it's not so bad when you look at it closer--it's meant to be indestructible..  Right now they only sell them in Europe, but Clean Run says they plan to carry them soon.  But expensive, though...I did the Euro conversion and the ones I was looking at were $500.00 to $800.00.  Admittedly, I think those were the double crates, i.e.  two separate areas connected to hold two dogs, but still...  But can we put a price on our dog's lives?
Sheila & the Shelties

Heidi Konesko

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
RuffToughKennel was Re: Pet Car Restraints
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
I got a RuffTough Kennel for my dog, fits well in my Honda Element, it's well made and quiet, doesn't rattle at all.  Well ventilated too.  I have it strapped in with shock cord (not bungee) and it's not in the rear crumple zone.  Not crash proof of course but it's the best I could find.  The downside is that I can't see her in it the way I could with a wire crate.  I do worry that I'm going to forget she is in there some day. 
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

Menmy3dogs

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »
My dogs ride in the Veri Kennels in the back of my SUV. I have a Rav4 and there are 8 airbags in it. I am afraid if an airbag goes off it will kill one of them if they are not in plastic crates.

Grasshopper

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »
For those who use the LATCH system with dogs weighing more than 65 pounds:

Interesting article in USA Today regarding LATCH system weight limits.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/basics/story/2012-06-06/child-safety-seat-latch/55452346/1
Susan Mizzell