Author Topic: Strategic Hoopers  (Read 2831 times)

ljstringer

Strategic Hoopers
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
Is strategic hoopers still being offered as a class at trials?
Lynn Stringer

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: Strategic Hoopers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
Is strategic hoopers still being offered as a class at trials?
Lynn Stringer

It can be, but it is rarely used.  We used to include in in every "course set", but I don't anymore.  We just design them for the occasional times they are needed.   There are 6-8 clubs that still offer strategic hoopers.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:04:56 PM »
Only sort of kidding...but WHERE are those clubs?  I *loved* strategic hoopers!

;D

diane

Linda

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:09:16 AM »
Most clubs around here don't offer any hoopers at all. Makes it hard to get an All Around when you can't even find the class to run in.  :( I'm wondering if maybe Hoopers is going to be eliminated completely and that's why it is not being offered?
Linda with
Con and Sawyer
At the bridge NATCH/VNATCH Pony

"The real joy is in the privilege and ability to step to the start line with your dog by your side, not in crossing the finish line victorious over others."

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:32:40 AM »
Most clubs around here don't offer any hoopers at all. Makes it hard to get an All Around when you can't even find the class to run in.  :( I'm wondering if maybe Hoopers is going to be eliminated completely and that's why it is not being offered?

The All Arounds will change to also allow Extreme Hoopers too.  Lots of clubs offer Numbered Hoopers, but only a few offer Strategic Hoopers.  If the trend continues, then Extreme Hoopers will replace both Strategic Hoopers and Numbered Hoopers.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
Woo-hoo!  I like any kind of hopers, but we would love to see more ex. Hopers!
Lee Anne

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »
I always offer one type of hoopers at the trials I host (Play~Bow in NY) - In the fall we do strategic  hoopers (as I LOVE IT and it's MY trial so I am having it! LOL!) , in the spring we do numbered hoopers -
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Debbie Lean

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
Woo-hoo!  I like any kind of hopers, but we would love to see more ex. Hopers!

By far I prefer XHoopers of all the Hoopers
Debbie

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »
Or even "Hopers"!  Freudian slip maybe! ;D
Lee Anne

Cathy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 06:45:14 AM »
So sorry to hear that strategic hoopers is on the decline.  I enjoy it a lot.

Cathy
Cathy

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
mdt-AA in Reno offers bother types of Hoopers. We enjoy the thinking challenge of Strategic Hoopers and the ground speed thrill experienced in numbered Hoopers. Come join us ! We offer all classes except for EGC, not enough interest and no way to haul more equipment in trailer.

LinB
mdt-AA LLC 

gm5bkc

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »
We had a Strategic Hoopers run at the Mountain Dog Sports trial this weekend, and it is fun!  That was the 2nd time we have had that in about 15 months in the Denver area (that I know of).  I like it much better than numbered hoopers, numbered is too much like another jumpers run.

Please encourage trial organizers to have more Hoopers courses, we finally got our HP-N title and would like to keep working at Hoopers!  NADAC is fun partly because of the varied courses (and also the great people at the trials) !

Glenn, Merri, Hildie and Katie - EAC,
OJC, WV-O, TG-O, TN-O, HP-N,
NADAC Novice Versatility Award,
Glenn, Merri, Hildie IJC, WV-I
and V-NATCH Katie, HP-O

http://www.hoopsandjumps.com/
http://funagility.webs.com/

DeafSheltieMom

• Course builder
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »
To play the devil's advocate...   I love ALL Hoopers, particularly Strategic Hoopers, and would hate to see it go.  It is the only game in NADAC where the handler is allowed to choose the course best suited to his/her dog and handling style (yes, folks, it makes YOU think!).   I also adore Ex.Hoopers, and would love to see more of it.  We are VERY fortunate that we have had all Hoopers classes held here in Southern California trials, and hope we continue to see that trend.

However, to replace the Hoopers classes with Ex. Hoopers is a very big burden on clubs.  There were complaints with cost and storage problems when Hoopers was added, then when hoops were added to most classes.  And now you are going to include 12-18 gates on top of it all???  Hoops are relatively easy to store, but the gates are much harder.  And especially that many of them.  To replace the Hoopers class with Ex. Hoopers will probably eliminate Hoopers altogether from most parts of the country.  I know a local club here does not have Hoopers because they do not have enough hoops to hold the class.  Getting gates would be impossible.  It is not so much they don't want to provide the class, but the equipment requirements make the choice impossible. 

If you WANT Hoopers in your area, then TELL the club!  I know I've heard people tell me they wish they had such and such a game or more of such and such...  Sometimes the club just doesn't realize YOU want it!  YOU are the customer...  you pay to play.  Tell them what you'd like to play in :-)   If you have the ability, offer to help make hoops.  Introduce them to trials near the practice jumps.  We've done that with a gate, a barrel, and a hoop near the practice jump, just because we realize many instructors don't provide those pieces of equipment to practice on.  The familiarity helps the handlers relieve their anxiety, and when they finally run the course and figure out how much fun it is, they are hooked :-)  We've seen that with the extreme games, and will continue to do so.  We noticed the newbie handlers are MUCH more open to the 'new' stuff than the seasoned handlers...  and they are the future of the sport and NADAC... we're hoping this keeps their interest, and desire, to enter more of our trials.

Just my 2 cents...
-dayle
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:59:39 AM by DeafSheltieMom »
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to: Hutch and Tesla;
              Alva, Wilbur, Orville, Misty - Beautiful sheltie
                                 souls waiting at the Bridge

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
Clubs can offer which ever type of Hoopers that their exhibitors want them to offer.  Clubs have three choices, so they have lots of options for what "works" for them and their competitors.

No one needs to have negative responses just because they prefer their own "style".  Please politely ask clubs to consider offering the type of Hoopers that you prefer!  Then it is a win-win solution!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

MoabDiane

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
Sharon said, "The All Arounds will change to also allow Extreme Hoopers too."

So, I am interpreting this to mean that a competitor *could* count their Extreme Hoopers Qs towards an All Around Award.  Is this correct?

If that is correct, then clubs could continue offering Numbered or Strategic, and those that can, could offer Extreme Hoopers.

Yes?  (hoping to relieve some anxiety here, and VERY sorry I missed MDS's Strategic Hoopers last weekend!!)

diane