Author Topic: Dogs 8 or older question  (Read 3435 times)

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
Re: Dogs 8 or older question
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
Mary - I am not sure of the answer 100% but I can tell you that Nika (12" skilled vet) is scored with the 16" skilled dogs in non-jumping.
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »

So can someone please confirm this- does a 12" skilled vet get 16" skilled time in non-jumping classes?

That is correct.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
Thanks- now I can look at her times vs. 16" skilled and decide what the best place (12" or 8") would be for us.   Time is not usually what causes us to NQ- I am a big factor in that equation.   Roxanne is perfect.
Mary P.

Kristine Doll

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Thank you Sharon for the information that the Small Skilled (4/8") dogs are supposed to get 5% more time in the Non-Jumping classes. 

However, looking at our club's October trial results I'm still confused as there was no extra time given to the Small Skilled 4/8" dogs.  Using Friday and Saturday TNG and WV results as examples the 8" Skilled dogs had the same SCT as the 12" Skilled and Proficient dogs.  There was even one Skilled 4" Novice dog in TNG Saturday and the SCT is the same as the 8" and 12 dogs.
Kristine & Thane

Sionnach

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »

I think the problem is that they DON'T want to jump 8", they want to stay at 12", so the only way to do that is to switch from skilled to proficient. So will they be proficient 16" dog in the non-jumping classes (since you say there isn't a vet dog class in those categories) --and have to make a
Lower time in those classes than they did as a skilled 12" dog

Ah, I bet you're right.  I didn't think of that, since I, personally, would want the lowest possible jump height if I had a dog that NEEDED a time break in the non-jumping classes.
Sarah F
Cenau Goch - Novice Versatility, Novice Triple Superior, Novice All-Around; S-OAC,  O-OCC, S-OJC, O-TNG-O,  S-WV-O, S-TN-O, S-HP-O; EAC, O-EJC, O-TN-E
Cerys Coesau - NAC, NCC, NJC, TNG-N, O-TN-N
Always in my memory: Brenin, Morag Thistledown, & Rocsi Cadarn, w/far too many titles to list....

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 01:46:23 PM »
Thank you Sharon for the information that the Small Skilled (4/8") dogs are supposed to get 5% more time in the Non-Jumping classes. 

However, looking at our club's October trial results I'm still confused as there was no extra time given to the Small Skilled 4/8" dogs.  Using Friday and Saturday TNG and WV results as examples the 8" Skilled dogs had the same SCT as the 12" Skilled and Proficient dogs.  There was even one Skilled 4" Novice dog in TNG Saturday and the SCT is the same as the 8" and 12 dogs.
Kristine & Thane

Two of the software vendors stay udated on NADAC requirements.  Those are Agility Unscrambled and FAST.  If your club uses other software, then it is possible that they do not update their software to recognized the SS dogs.  If your club uses AU or FAST, then the extra time should be indicated.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Cheryl Gilbert

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
OK, This whole conversation/thread has me confused (hopefully it's not NADAC related dementia)   :-)

Just to clarify... I have an older dog...9y/o so a veteran dog that is originally 12 inches but eligible for the breed exemption so their normal jump height is 8".  I am using the handicapped handler due to a bad knee and they are jumping skilled.  Is this possible?  Is this the best entry option for speed allowances and jump heights?  I think this would have them jumping 4" with the largest amount of speed allowances available.  Am I correct? 

I also have a young dog who is 2 years old, measures about 12 inches, and I have entered her with me as a handicapped handler and her in proficient without using the breed jump height exemption.  She would jump 8" and be scored with the 12" dogs with 12"times in the nonjumping classes?.  Is this correct?  If I wanted her scored with the 8 inch dogs for nonjumping classes then she could be entered in skilled and/or use the breed jump height exemption but if I used either of these with the handicapped handler then she would jump 4"?

Sorry if this is confusing...Trying very hard not to be dense....
Cheryl Gilbert
with Wally, Benny, Daisy and Emmy
 Show message history
Cheryl Gilbert with
Emmy and Allie
Rachel, Becky, Twinkles, Honey, Lucky, Wally, Benny and Daisy waiting on the other side....

Kristine Doll

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
Hi Sharon,
I checked and three out of four of our local clubs who host NADAC trials use Freeware Agility Secretary Tool, either 26 July 2013 or 20 May 2013 versions. 

But their latest trial results (August for one club, October for the second, and this weekend for the third club) show that this software does NOT add any extra time for the 4/8" SS.  All dogs P/S 4" through 12" (unless Veteran Handlers) at these shows have same SCT for Non-Jumping classes.

The fourth club uses Agility Unscrambled which does add the 5% extra time for the 4/8" SS dogs :)

So one more question, would the clubs whose FAST software is not changing the SCT currently need to update/fix it so that it adds the break for future trials?  Or is it an individual club's decision?  I don't want to cause any problems, but if the software can be fixed easily so SS dogs get their time break it would be great.
Thank you!
Kristine aka teammate to future SS dog Thane who may need that break :)