Author Topic: NADAC website  (Read 1903 times)

LeeAnne McAdam

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
NADAC website
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Wow...I went to the NADAC website tonight and really didn't know if I would get anything or not.  I see it says a lot of stuff is still missing...but I like the looks of it a LOT!  Good job to everyone who has worked on that!
Lee Anne

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: NADAC website
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »
Wow...I went to the NADAC website tonight and really didn't know if I would get anything or not.  I see it says a lot of stuff is still missing...but I like the looks of it a LOT!  Good job to everyone who has worked on that!

Yep, it is missing a lot for what we "wanted" to have then when we unveiled the new website......... but we got rather rushed into the change...... so one should see most of what we used to have and we will continue to add in the "perks" as we go along and will end up on the same timeline, we just won't get there via the route we thought we were going to use by working on the new web site until finished and then moving over to it.......... so we are there now before it is done and everyone will see new perks added as we go along on the original schedule.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

agil8ek9

• Mary-Anne.net - dog agility and personal blog
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »
Thanks, LeeAnne - glad you like it!

As Sharon said, we had been working on rewriting the site - redesigning it, reorganizing it and moving to a different back-end technology and host - when the old host pulled the rug out from under us.  We had "legacy software" (<- technical euphamism for "really really old" :) )  running on the old site which wasn't compatible with the environment they wanted us to move to, and newer versions of that software lacked features we were relying upon in the old. So it was frying pan  vs fire -  either way we were looking at some downtime.  Rather than wasting time trying to fix new issues on the old site, we opted to move forward, which meant (among other things) quickly rewriting a bunch of things from one "language" to another -  still no trivial matter.

Biggest thing holding us back right now is that something is blocking access to the remote databases where some data resides.  Once we straighten that out, point and registration number lookups will be back in minutes.  I still have to rewrite registrations, but if all goes well, that should be done this week or early next,  The titles and certificates program  is more involved (AND uses the data I can't currently access), so that will be back online last, along with cleaning up some "shortcuts" I took in the mad scramble to rewrite the site.

All forms and rulebooks are all back, FunRaiser/EGC premiums are back, club/judge lookups are back, trial calendar is available, contact form is up, I temporarily put up pdf's of the dog and associate registration forms that can be snail-mailed if need be. Since we reorganized, some page names have changed, but you should be redirected to the right place even if you use the old name.  If you have bookmarks, you should probably update them.

One new perk that's already there  - the new site is (mostly) "responsive", meaning it reflows and resizes if you are using a desktop, tablet or phone.  Minimal pinching, zooming and squinting :).

Mary-Anne G.
Webmaster for nadac.com

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
Thanks, LeeAnne - glad you like it!

As Sharon said, we had been working on rewriting the site - redesigning it, reorganizing it and moving to a different back-end technology and host - when the old host pulled the rug out from under us.  We had "legacy software" (<- technical euphamism for "really really old" :) )  running on the old site which wasn't compatible with the environment they wanted us to move to, and newer versions of that software lacked features we were relying upon in the old. So it was frying pan  vs fire -  either way we were looking at some downtime.  Rather than wasting time trying to fix new issues on the old site, we opted to move forward, which meant (among other things) quickly rewriting a bunch of things from one "language" to another -  still no trivial matter.

Biggest thing holding us back right now is that something is blocking access to the remote databases where some data resides.  Once we straighten that out, point and registration number lookups will be back in minutes.  I still have to rewrite registrations, but if all goes well, that should be done this week or early next,  The titles and certificates program  is more involved (AND uses the data I can't currently access), so that will be back online last, along with cleaning up some "shortcuts" I took in the mad scramble to rewrite the site.

All forms and rulebooks are all back, FunRaiser/EGC premiums are back, club/judge lookups are back, trial calendar is available, contact form is up, I temporarily put up pdf's of the dog and associate registration forms that can be snail-mailed if need be. Since we reorganized, some page names have changed, but you should be redirected to the right place even if you use the old name.  If you have bookmarks, you should probably update them.

One new perk that's already there  - the new site is (mostly) "responsive", meaning it reflows and resizes if you are using a desktop, tablet or phone.  Minimal pinching, zooming and squinting :).

We really appreciate all of the extra work that Mary Anne has put in during this emergency web site move.  She has done great!

This has been in the plans this year and we have been doing sections and testing, but never planned on throwing the entire product out so soon!

It will be fun to see the upcoming updates as each new piece is completed!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
Love the new look of the web site!  Can't wait to see all the new "perks" when you all are able to have the site completely done.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 04:55:26 AM »
Looks great !!

Question regarding calendar of events-will we be able to search the whole US or multiple states at a time?  Right now, I can only click on one state  at a time and I am a traveling girl so need to see lots of states at once :) :)
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:55:13 AM »
One question.  On the calendar look up on the new NADAC.com website, all the states, territories, etc., are listed, however, there is no ALL option as on the old website.  Is that possibly going to be added???  I like to see what clubs are offering trials on a particular weekend for all states, not just one at a time.  Thanks. 

Sara Langston
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

James Bell

• Judge
NADAC website
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
Lisa makes an intriguing point. Does the format of the trial calendar database allow you to say throw it into a graphical format? Say a Google Maps stream? I'm imagining looking at a map of world/US/AUS (depending upon preference) with lots of flags of trials filterable by time frames, different colored flags for fun raisers and standard trials etc, with drill down capabilities to each trial entry.
James Bell

James Bell

• Judge
NADAC website
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »
Oops, my slashes and autocorrect got me. Didn't purposely mean to exclude our neighbors to the north. :-)
James Bell

djhamele

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
I had no idea the NADAC site was down until I went on it tonight.  I wanted to register a dog as I had a change in plans so can enter a trial that closes on Monday.  Is there a way to get him a registration number before then?
Thanks
Deb

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »
I had no idea the NADAC site was down until I went on it tonight.  I wanted to register a dog as I had a change in plans so can enter a trial that closes on Monday.  Is there a way to get him a registration number before then?
Thanks
Deb

It hasn't been down, but seems to be for the past hour.

You can always email all of the info to either Chris or myself and we can email you a number.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

djhamele

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
Just e-mailed you, thank you!

agil8ek9

• Mary-Anne.net - dog agility and personal blog
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
One question.  On the calendar look up on the new NADAC.com website, all the states, territories, etc., are listed, however, there is no ALL option as on the old website.  Is that possibly going to be added???  I like to see what clubs are offering trials on a particular weekend for all states, not just one at a time.  Thanks.

You will have the ability to select multiple states.  Just haven't done that yet, given the other issues. 

Does the format of the trial calendar database allow you to say throw it into a graphical format? Say a Google Maps stream? I'm imagining looking at a map of world/US/AUS (depending upon preference) with lots of flags of trials filterable by time frames, different colored flags for fun raisers and standard trials etc, with drill down capabilities to each trial entry.

The addresses aren't geocoded, we'd need to do that on the fly. Would be a fun feature, but not trivial to implement. Up to Sharon if the demand isworth the effort or if something simpler would suit most folks as well or better. 

Mary-Anne G.
Webmaster for nadac.com

merinda

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
Any idea when the "new dog registration" part will be back up?

We have our only truly local trial coming up & we are really trying to get a lot of new people to come give NADAC a try. Unfortunately, most of them need numbers  :(  They've already missed the "early bird" entry due to not having numbers...

Thank you!

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »
Any idea when the "new dog registration" part will be back up?

We have our only truly local trial coming up & we are really trying to get a lot of new people to come give NADAC a try. Unfortunately, most of them need numbers  :(  They've already missed the "early bird" entry due to not having numbers...

Thank you!

I understand and they can email and get a number.  Hopefully an exhibitor who wants to enter a NADAC trial would know and prepare for that before the final week before the trial.  If they have been in classes and have a dog prepared to trial I would hope that they did "everything" necessary to prepare their dog for a trial and one of those things is registering with the sanctioning organization.  Entering a trial shouldn't be a "last minute" decision... it takes months and months of preparation to get a dog ready to trial.

If they have been trialing in other venues, then they already are familiar with the rules that a registration number is required to enter.

I am never quite sure why getting a registration number for a trial is an emergency or last minute rush.... all instructors should be teaching "how to prepare for your first trial" in their classes.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility