Author Topic: Running Order at Trials: Starting with 12" or 16" dogs sometimes?  (Read 646 times)

tag team

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
You know what I'd love to see?   Run orders that sometimes start with 12" or  16" dogs so 4" and 20" dogs don't always  run first one day and last the other day.

I assume the reason for running "small to tall" one day and then "tall to small" the other day is because the software can't print run orders any other way but perhaps there is a simple fix.. to draw a red line on the run-order sheets to show where the run order begins...and work down  the sheet from there, and then continue with dogs at the top of the page and work back to the middle.

I would not call being the first dog on the line a "huge issue" :), which is usually the case for me and my 4" dogs on Saturdays (classes with jumps), but on Sunday, when we are running last, I find it advantageous to watch at least a few other teams run a course before I do to point out any "surprises" I may not have noticed when walking the course.

Devorah Sperber, Jake and Lil

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: Running Order at Trials: Starting with 12" or 16" dogs sometimes?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
There is no reason a club can't start with 12" or 16".  You might send a note to the clubs.  They just have to put the pages in a different order or as you say, draw a line for where the first dog will be!

NADAC certainly has no rules about tall to small or small to tall.  Clubs can choose a different start order.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

MoabDiane

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Even though we're now at 16" ("in the middle"), I would LOVE to see some different start heights!  I actually like being first (most of the time...LOL!), and at 16" that never happens.

One things done at Champs the past few years, is to rotate the starting height each day - the advantage of a four-day "trial!"

Clubs:  Just do it! 

diane

A Jussero

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
As a 4" team, I love that idea, especially when Sunday is tall to small and I have my 7-12 hour drive ahead.  NADAC, however, is great about letting me run my tiny one ahead of the class to give me some extra time to pack.  Love those clubs for that!!
-Spike
Ann J.

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
While I can appreciate not always wanting to be first or last- the software is not the reason our trials run small to tall/tall to small or visa versa (but I admit it is easier).   We choose the run order to accommodate our workers and especially the ones who do major jobs (chief course builder, trial chair, trial secretary etc).  Our core workers are not in the 4" or the 20" so going 4-20 or 20-4 gives them time between finishing working and walking the course to warm up their dogs.    Since we can't run the trials without volunteers it is the least we can do to accommodate them as best we can.   

Mary
Mary P.

tag team

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
Mary,

You bring up a valid point. I tend to jump in to help build courses to keep small trials moving along...plus its a good way to stay warm in unheated barns. Regardless, I still like to warm up my dogs muscles right before we run, especially when its cold out.. so I tend to leave walk throughs a little early to do that when I am running first.   Hey, I'm used to it at this point so no BIGGIE!

Which day will you be running small to tall at Scor's Dec trial?  I'm either blind or it is not listed on the premium.

Your trials are always fun!  Looking forward to it.

Dev Sperber (Jake and Lil)