Author Topic: Hoopers  (Read 1190 times)

marycallaway

Hoopers
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
Having trouble finding trials that have Hoopers.  I would like to title in that class but not many clubs in my area have Hoopers.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: Hoopers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
Having trouble finding trials that have Hoopers.  I would like to title in that class but not many clubs in my area have Hoopers.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Get together with others and VT!!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

marycallaway

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »
Kind of new here........what is VT?

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 06:10:35 AM »
Can we title in Hoopers doing Extreme Hoopers only?

Isabel
Isabel and Cocoa

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
Kind of new here........what is VT?
You may set courses listed in the Media section, video tape your run and submit it to NADAC for a possible qualifying score.  The cost is $5 per run submitted.  It must be the first run on the course.  Courses are changed every 2 weeks or so, so you can try several over a 6 month period.  I believe you may earn 50% of your title points with video runs, but double check that.  Good luck!
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
Don't know where you are located but I always offer Hoopers at my trials in NY (Play~Bow) and SCOR in NJ/NY always offers Hoopers also.
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

marycallaway

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  I am looking for a club that offers Hoopers at their trial that is within 100 miles of Dover, DE.  If the trial clubs won't offer Hoopers at least on one day of the weekend I'm curious as to their reasons why.

Again, thanks!

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 04:32:44 AM »
I can tell you that as a trial host - Hoopers classes do the the worst entry wise so that might be why - people who do not do NADAC regularly do not enter it (I have found) - I offer it b/c I like to play it and I am the trial host :)

PS: Dover DE is only 165 miles from Madison, NJ where SCOR hosts their trials and often offers Hoopers both days  - a mere 3 hours by car - not that far to go for an agility trial weekend (IMO) :)
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

Debi Hutchinson

• PAWZAZZ Agility
Hoopers
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 05:43:33 AM »
The PAWZAZZ trials generally offer hoopers at least one day of each trial!
Terry for Team PAWZAZZ
Debi Hutchinson
PAWZAZZ Agility
Pasadena, MD

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 06:25:58 AM »
If the trial clubs won't offer Hoopers at least on one day of the weekend I'm curious as to their reasons why.

In my area of the country (upper midwest) Hoopers is often not offered because it receives such low entries -- thus driving down total entries for the trial as compared to offering, say, Tunnelers. Our NADAC trials are small as it is and don't need to be any smaller.

We used to see trials that would offer 7 runs per day and you could enter 6 of your choosing. This was a nice way to offer Hoopers for those who wanted it, but eventually that fell out of fashion (who knows, maybe that practice is no longer allowed for some reason).

When Hoopers is offered around here now it is often the numbered variety and it is so stated in the premium. When that is done, the entries for Hoopers are significantly higher than when the premium states that strategic Hoopers will be run -- or if no statement is made as to the version being offered. People seem scared of the strategic version for whatever reason and you'll see about 10 entries for all of the levels combined (versus maybe 25-30 for numbered).

My preference is for the strategic version, but I do not miss the briefings that would go on forever and a day thanks to needing to explain the game and tests over and over and over and over and over to people who were either new or just cannot grasp the idea of the game.

Personally, I rarely enter Hoopers because it doesn't offer anythings towards the way of titling goals for me. I have not chosen to go for the All Around path, so Hoopers has no value to me other than Lifetime points. I feel that is largely why the class has suffered, because it is not part of the more popular titling paths. This is unfortunate for those who do choose to go for the All Around awards and struggle to find opportunity to run in this class.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

marycallaway

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input.  You've given me some options.

bill fehn

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
Does Hooper have value?

The only thing of value I have ever taken home from an agility trial is the knowledge I gained from the experience. If I can learn better handling by running a hoopers course then it has value. Whether the points lead to something or not, isn't the object to improve?

Bill Fehn

LeeAnne McAdam

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
Using your definition, Bill, I think Hoopers has tons of value.  I believe it will help show where your handling is good/bad and what your dog does/doesn't understand about your handling.  JMO.
Lee Anne

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
I think Hoopers has HUGE value - it tells you a LOT about your handling - or lack thereof
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

marycallaway

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree, BF.  Any ring time is good time.  Never a waste.