Author Topic: Number of dogs by breed competing in NADAC  (Read 4187 times)

J Rushman

Number of dogs by breed competing in NADAC
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »
Is this info available somewhere?  I'm looking at the Top-10 list by breed is was just curious how big the different categories is.   Obviously getting Top-10 in the Border Collie group is much tougher than if there are less that 10 dogs of a breeds competing.

Kathy Phelan

Re: Number of dogs by breed competing in NADAC
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »
So are you saying one is less valuable than another?
Kathy Phelan
Dusty Boots A'Flying (Dusty)
Dusty Boots Desert Fire (Shaleeh)
McCall, Idaho

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
Is this info available somewhere?  I'm looking at the Top-10 list by breed is was just curious how big the different categories is.   Obviously getting Top-10 in the Border Collie group is much tougher than if there are less that 10 dogs of a breeds competing.

It is interesting that the "border collie" which has the highest number of dogs competing (more border collies than all other breeds) didn't make the top ten class list as often as one would think they would........... there are a lot of non-border collies represented in the Top Ten by Class for the past two years!!  I am thinking that is might be really tough to have a non-border collie!  They seem to take the highest number of Q's home!! 

On the light side......

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

A Jussero

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:05 PM »
My 11-year-old mini poodle attended four trials, is only in one Elite class, Touch & Go, and made the top ten for minis.  Not a bunch of them but to me--priceless!

Thank you, NADAC, for even presenting these numbers.  So much fun to see all the names I recognize.
Ann J.

Sara9889

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
I have to say it was so fun to browse through the top 10 by breed. My utmost favorite is the beagles! I so much love to watch Ritzy and Courtney and Kinsey when traveling up north. Brought fun memories to mind seeing their names.

Sara McKinley
Sara McKinley

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »
I love cruising through all of the Top Ten lists...... so many names, familiar faces and the images of those dogs running a course!!  So many smiles, what a great time of the year!!

Congratulations to everyone!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 03:45:09 AM »
They are not saying one is more valuable than another- it is simple math- if there are more competing then it is harder to make the top ten.   

Mary P.

Kathy Phelan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
It's also helpful to be able to trial a lot. There are some geographical areas where a person could enter a trial almost every weekend, and then there are other areas that are lucky to field 1-3 trials per year within a 300 mile radius. So the simple math might say it's harder for a dog of any type in a remote location to make a top 10 list. I'm so impressed by huge variety of dogs (several breeds I've not heard of before) on these lists. Congratulations to all of you!!!

I LOVE the way NADAC presents lots of opportunities for all of us to highlight our pups' achievements.  Thank you, Sharon and the rest of the NADAC crew!
Kathy Phelan
Dusty Boots A'Flying (Dusty)
Dusty Boots Desert Fire (Shaleeh)
McCall, Idaho

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »
I have to say it was so fun to browse through the top 10 by breed. My utmost favorite is the beagles! I so much love to watch Ritzy and Courtney and Kinsey when traveling up north. Brought fun memories to mind seeing their names.

Sara McKinley

I have to say my favorite is the beagles too.  Of course I am biased because I run a beagle!  My goal for Cee Cee, who doesn't run much, was to make top 10 in tunnelers for beagles this year.  She came in #1!  I was so excited because we don't trial much and she trains only in the backyard periodically.  She does love her tunnel courses though!
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Cynthia & springers

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:43:05 AM »
Even though there are not very many English Springer Spaniels competing in the NADAC elite classes, I am still very proud to see my dogs ranked the top ten (or less).  It confirms that we are trying something different
and having success in our own way.

Cynthia and 3 "top ten" springers: Heather, Ivy, and Eero-- and Rosie, Novice class resident
Cynthia Gilliland &
Iris & Eeli
Wilder, VT

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »
I love seeing the breeds listed that aren't the "normal" agility breeds!!  Even if there aren't ten dogs represented in the "top ten", is brings so much joy to see those breeds listed!  Those handlers have trained those dogs that aren't considered "easier" for agility and what a great job they have done!  Some of the breeds only have one listed and what amazing dogs they are!

Congratulations to all!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Jean Sather (McCreight)

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
My feeling has always been that if you are one of just a few (or the only one) in your breed group -- you have accomplished something at the Elite level that few others or no one else is even attempting with that breed (or if they are, not yet succeeding at) -- you totally have "bragging rights" in my book!!  :)
Jean & Tux
Montana

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
I would like to congratulate everyone who appears somewhere on these top ten listings.  I always enjoy seeing the names of so many of the folks I get to trial with, at least occasionally.  It is also fun to see breeds of dogs that aren't often thought of as "agility" dogs.  At any rate, I know you all have trained hard and maybe trialed hard to be there so congratulations!  And also thanks to Sharon and everyone at NADAC who helps put the information together...seems lots of us appreciate your hard work!
Lee Anne

Jo Benn

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
I am ecstatic and so proud of my Weimaraner, Jake, for being #1 overall and in several classes for top ten Weimaraners for 2013!  No, there are not many Weims listed (3 or 4) and until last summer, I had never seen another Weim at a trial (except for my baby dog, Rashi.)  I love my Weims, though, and can't imagine not doing agility with them.  They are very athletic, but not necessarily natural agility dogs.  Jake will be 9 in March and, although I hope he will still be competing for a long time to come, this may be the zenith of his career.  He is not going to get a NATCH, let alone a NATCH 2, 3, 8 or 12!  He recently earned 1000 lifetime points.  Getting his name on the top ten is probably his highest lifetime achievement in agility.  So even if he were the only Weim competing, I would still be proud because he did make it to the elite level and earned enough points to be on that list.  It is very meaningful to me.  I know the many awesome Border Collies who have ten times more points than Jake, but didn't make the top ten have accomplished many other awesome goals.  I know their owners are equally proud of them.

I hope to see Jake's name on that list again next year!
Jo Benn

Cindy

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 05:39:43 PM »

Sara McKinley

Thanks Sara!  Ritzy, Kinsey and I love it when you come up here as well.  Congrats to you and Sinner!

Cindy and the Beagles