Author Topic: Using barrels in Funraisers  (Read 1327 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Using barrels in Funraisers
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
Hi, group.
At some selected Funraisers this year, we will be beta testing the use
of barrels on some courses as a replacement for tightly u-shaped tunnels.
We did inadvertently have one used at a non-funraiser this weekend, but
they will be reserved for only funraisers in the future.
We will let you know how they are working and post some videos of
their use! We are very excited about their use and a cut-back of those tightly
turned tunnels that dogs fall down in!!

Sharon

Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

JulieG

Re: Using barrels in Funraisers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:40:33 AM »
What are the rules with the barrel? Since I will now start training this, I would like to know what my goals need to be. Are they always bi-directional or will there be a direction of flow? If the dog goes part way around and pivots and comes back around the original way is it a fault? What if the barrel knocks over? Are the barrels staked/pinned down so they can't be tipped? What if the dog jumps up against the side of the barrel? Boots use to help me 'tear' down the arena by knocking my plastic barrels over when I use to barrel race...ugh, now have to try to reverse that behavior!

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »
Rules are the same as if it were a tunnel..... it isn't faulted if your dog  goes into a tunnel and turns around and comes out and then goes in again..... a waste of time.... if a dog jumps on the tunnel, it is a waste of time....

Most of the time the tight u-shaped tunnels are bi-directional, just like the barrel would be.... if there is a "logical" and obvious correct direction, then it might be named....

Just think of your dog going through a tunnel with a barrel in the u-shaped part.... all the same rules apply.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »
Hi Sharon . . .

I hope that the use of barrels to replace the tightly curved tunnels in ALL NADAC classes happens MUCH sooner than later!!!  We've run some Tunnelers courses where, in hindsight, I would have MUCH preferred to have seen a barrel than the U-shaped tunnel that was used, most often due to the type of course that was advantageous to a "sligthly smaller than ideal" ring size.

Just as hoops have replaced some jumps in Regular and Chances . . . and some tunnels in Weavers and Touch N Go, the use of a strategically placed and thoughtfully inserted barrel in classes will simply be another improvement as it involves making agility just that much safer for our dogs!!!

I really don't understand "the fuss" . . . we teach our kids to run around furniture pieces, like an ottoman or end table as a game for something to do inside on a rainy day . . . it takes them about 2 minutes to catch on to the game!!!

Now, when I'm setting up new sequences for my dogs, I just collapse the tunnels and set them on the ground "vertically" . . . and practice "go arounds" for fun!!!

If you worry about the "what ifs", you'll NEVER get to the FUN part . . . of just DOING IT!!!

When I first became involved in this sport 20 or so years ago, the mantra was that agility was "a very simple game" that we play with our dogs . . . somewhere along the way, we forgot how to keep the simple things, simple . . .
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

JulieG

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »
Can you copy the 'barrel rules' that you replied to into the rules section so they are easy for everyone to find?

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »

Just as hoops have replaced some jumps in Regular and Chances . . . and some tunnels in Weavers and Touch N Go, the use of a strategically placed and thoughtfully inserted barrel in classes will simply be another improvement as it involves making agility just that much safer for our dogs!!!

I really don't understand "the fuss" . . . we teach our kids to run around furniture pieces, like an ottoman or end table as a game for something to do inside on a rainy day . . . it takes them about 2 minutes to catch on to the game!!!

If you worry about the "what ifs", you'll NEVER get to the FUN part . . . of just DOING IT!!! 

Al, I agree with you on most things, but I must respectfully diagree here!   8)  Whenever a change is made, I think it is only logical to ask questions about it and "What ifs", and that's the value of a forum!
Sheila & the Shelties

ykozuki

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
I usually go to Fundraisers  at the Canby site and/or sites in Eastern Washington. Are they the sites where we will encounter barrels in regular courses (or other courses?) as early as this month?  Thank you for the information.

Yoriko Kozuki
Yoriko Kozuki

Cathie Cage

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
So Sharon can you say that 99% of the time the barrel will be bi-directional? I would need to know this for bonus lines, I am in the process of naming one side right now.  If Clayton is going thru a tunnel under the dogwalk wrapping a barrel and then to the dogwalk he will most definitely need a verbal, because he has to look at the barrel as an OBSTACLE because I can't draw a path being that far away.

Thanks, Cathie Cage

Rules are the same as if it were a tunnel..... it isn't faulted if your dog  goes into a tunnel and turns around and comes out and then goes in again..... a waste of time.... if a dog jumps on the tunnel, it is a waste of time....

Most of the time the tight u-shaped tunnels are bi-directional, just like the barrel would be.... if there is a "logical" and obvious correct direction, then it might be named....

Just think of your dog going through a tunnel with a barrel in the u-shaped part.... all the same rules apply.

Sharon
Cathie Cage