Author Topic: Number of dogs by breed competing in NADAC  (Read 4958 times)

Cindy

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Number of dogs by breed competing in NADAC
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
I love seeing the breeds listed that aren't the "normal" agility breeds!!  Even if there aren't ten dogs represented in the "top ten", is brings so much joy to see those breeds listed!  Those handlers have trained those dogs that aren't considered "easier" for agility and what a great job they have done!  Some of the breeds only have one listed and what amazing dogs they are!

Congratulations to all!

Sharon

It's funny, as someone who runs Beagles, even I used to discount the achievement of being on the top 10 list when there were less than 10 dogs.  I mean, all you had to do was get 30 Elite points and you were guaranteed to be on the list.  Compare that to the hundreds of points needed by some breeds and it just felt like it wasn't quite the same level of accomplishment.  And then one year it hit me, that was exactly the point!  Getting 30 Elite points when there were less than 9 others of your breed who had that many IS an accomplishment, and it is one I have treasured ever since.  I'm not sure if that change in thinking came about as Ritzy was getting older and her runs and potential points were limited, or when I started running Kinsey and realized just how much Ritzy, and Bailey before her, had spoiled me....and everyone who knows Kinsey is now nodding their heads in understanding, or if it was just one of those "duh" moments!  Regardless, I am now just as much in awe of the single dog with 30 points as I am of the ones with hundreds and even thousands of points, and every dog in between!

Congratulations to every dog and handler on this list, and to all those who play their own way and make the Top Ten in Fun!

And I second the thank you to Sharon for all the work it takes to put this list together!  Being on this list isn't what makes my dogs special, but it sure is fun to have their accomplishments put out there for all of NADAC to see!
Cindy and the Beagles

Jean Sather (McCreight)

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 05:47:56 AM »
Awesome post, Cindy -- hope we see you and your beagles back in Montana one of these days!!  :)
Jean & Tux
Montana

BetsieCorwin

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 07:15:51 AM »
I always love to see the Top Ten by Breed and check out not only my friends who made the list, but the variety of breeds represented.  It was always a thrill to see my mini-schnauzers Sophie and Snickers on the list with all our other schnauzer buddies.  Now that my young cattle dog Dazzle is moving up to Elite soon, we hope to share a spot on the list with Red, Angie and the other ACDs. Thanks Sharon for compiling the list.
Betsie Corwin
Oakdale, CA

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:55 AM »
I was absolutely thrilled to open up the list this year and see that -- for the first time since he started competing -- Kaiser wasn't the only Alaskan Klee Kai listed! While we are starting to see more Klee Kai competing in agility, I haven't heard of too many trying NADAC (TDAA and UKC seem to be the most popular places for AKK owners so far). I went and found the dog's handler on Facebook and am super happy to have found another versatile Klee Kai who is successful in multi-venues.  :)

While it's certainly an accomplishment to make it on the list for one of the hugely popular (ahem, biddable) agility breeds, I have a huge amount of respect for my peers who made the list with their "off breeds." Often there is a reason why there are only one or two of a certain breed listed -- because it's not an easy job.  ;)  Or perhaps you might see certain breeds in other venues but they struggle with making time in NADAC -- so to see those dogs on the Top 10 list is also a super wonderful accomplishment because they have gone above and beyond what is typically seen in their breed. Kudos to all!
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, NATCH/ADCH Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
I took great pleasure is seeing my Siberian Husky, Nika among the Top 10 for many years (1 of 3 I think) - this is the 2nd year she is not there :(  - She is pretty much retired now at 13 y/o - but still comes out to play tunnelers and chances at trials she's at with me for fun not for Qs anymore - well...Nika never really ran for anything but her own joy and for the entertainment of others - but she must have been ok at some events to earn the top spots :)  Love her!
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Cindy

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
Awesome post, Cindy -- hope we see you and your beagles back in Montana one of these days!!  :)

Thanks Jean!  Every time I see a post from someone I met when I was in Montana that summer, it brings back memories of all the great people I met, and the great times we had!  You folks were so very welcoming to me and made me feel right at home.  I'd love to come back some time!
Cindy and the Beagles

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »
Not all dogs of any breed are exactly "biddable" either.  I've had a BC and a BC mix that weren't exactly the easiest dogs in the world to work with.  The BC mix was a very unforgiving dog.  She had a very narrow view of what was right and what was wrong.  Not easy for your very first agility dog!  Kind of hard to learn agility when you're getting nipped and barked at for being late, in the wrong position etc.  We eventually got it together, mostly because I'm a very stubborn person and would not give up.  The BC was a rescue with lots of baggage.  We eventually worked thru some of it, but not all of it.

When you see someone running a "biddable" breed don't assume it was easy for them.

Gina
Miss Maggie May (or May Not)
Ginger -- The Good Shepherd's Bad Habit