Author Topic: Forum only?  (Read 5781 times)

JulieG

Forum only?
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »
Is there a time line that NADAC will be switching over from communicating through both the yahoo list and the forum; to forum only? I thought that at the announcement of the forum that the transition was going to be made within a few weeks. I personally am finding it very difficult to try to follow two location; there are only so many hours in the day :(
Thanks

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: Forum only?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
Is there a time line that NADAC will be switching over from communicating through both the yahoo list and the forum; to forum only? I thought that at the announcement of the forum that the transition was going to be made within a few weeks. I personally am finding it very difficult to try to follow two location; there are only so many hours in the day :(
Thanks
I am open to suggestions!!

Since the forum is "new" there is a lot of opposition to it................ until it becomes "norm"... it doesn't really matter that it is better or easier............. it is "new"...

If everyone had a positive attitude and openness to engage "new" things in life, all things in life could become "easier" and quite possibly "better" too!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »
And a fun fact is that we are just barely a month into using the new forum.   And in that month we have made BIG changes to the layout,features and options.    I was/am very appreciative of everyone who jumped in and helped test this out and make it work.   But it is important to remember it has only been a month.  It is still in its infancy

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »
a good way would be if all that love and enjoy this wonderful new forum sing it from the rooftops.  Sometimes if people hear all that is good even if they feel a little afraid they will take a peek.  Who knows they might like what they see  :)
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
They would love it if they tried it and got past the initial fear of "new".  Fun forum!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:19:32 AM »
Hi Sharon, Becky, Chris, Amanda et al.,

Given that "corporate" NADAC is in the process of relocating to Bend and Canby, Oregon . . .

Given that some entries for 2012 Championships have been sent . . .

Given that NADAC's awards "mailing season" will be here before any of us realize it . . .

I believe that the longer the Yahoo! list in permitted to exist and be a "mirror" for the NADAC forum, the more resistant people will be to leave their old "comfort zone" of the Yahoo! list.

My favorite tune on my PC is Joe Walsh's first release in 20 years . . . "Analog Man", 'cuz that's what I am, too! <LOL>  That said, it only took me a few days to get totally comfortable with the NADAC forum format and find the information that is "critical" to me . . .

That said, I would favor a conversion date no sooner than July 15th, 2012 . . . that gives everyone TWO MONTHS to "convert" . . . and absolutely no later than November 1st . . . which may give Sharon and the NADAC staff time to settle into their new "digs", get through the task of mailing awards and recover a little from 2012 Championships.

If it's difficult for any of us to keep pace with both the list and the forum, think of what it has to be like for Sharon and Chris!!!

For now, I would suggest that RULES UPDATES/CHANGES ONLY be posted on the NADAC forum . . . that should provide a sufficient "kick in the underwear" to get folks motivated . . . then again, there's still a handful that show up at trials with NO CLUE regarding rule changes and get upset when they learn of them!  Wha'cha gonna do 'bout 'dem???  Maybe they're mushrooms and love living life in the dark! <LOL> 
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Sionnach

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:13:19 AM »
Thanks

Seconding that - as mentioned in another post, I was under the impression that this forum was supposed to be the main source at this point, and got blindsided by something at a trial because I missed a discussion on the e-mail list. I MUCH prefer the forum, because it's so easy to skim through headers and see if there's a discussion I should read.
Sarah F
Cenau Goch - Novice Versatility, Novice Triple Superior, Novice All-Around; S-OAC,  O-OCC, S-OJC, O-TNG-O,  S-WV-O, S-TN-O, S-HP-O; EAC, O-EJC, O-TN-E
Cerys Coesau - NAC, NCC, NJC, TNG-N, O-TN-N
Always in my memory: Brenin, Morag Thistledown, & Rocsi Cadarn, w/far too many titles to list....

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
They would love it if they tried it and got past the initial fear of "new".  Fun forum!

Sharon

I have always been surprised at the fear people have of "new things" or "changes" in all aspects of life.  Maybe I am the weird one for getting a "high" off of the unknown or the fear of a challenge....  Do I always "like" the changes that take place in my life or the "new things" that I encounter?  No, but if I am the one that makes the choice the venture there instead of being forced, I feel I have much better odds of liking it!! And if I am one of the first to venture, I am a step ahead of everyone else  ;D   Hmmm and maybe it could possibly have something to do with my "type" of personality   :P
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
Hi Sharon, Becky, Chris, Amanda et al.,

Given that "corporate" NADAC is in the process of relocating to Bend and Canby, Oregon . . .

Given that some entries for 2012 Championships have been sent . . .

Given that NADAC's awards "mailing season" will be here before any of us realize it . . .

I believe that the longer the Yahoo! list in permitted to exist and be a "mirror" for the NADAC forum, the more resistant people will be to leave their old "comfort zone" of the Yahoo! list.

That said, I would favor a conversion date no sooner than July 15th, 2012 . . . that gives everyone TWO MONTHS to "convert" . . . . which may give Sharon and the NADAC staff time to settle into their new "digs", get through the task of mailing awards and recover a little from 2012 Championships.

Good idea!  I really want everyone on the same page long before Championships!!  I think July 15th is a good date!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LJKing

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »
The problem is not only that the Forum is new, but also that the word has not gotten out. I mentioned it at the FR last weekend and not one of the people I was talking to had any idea that there was a new means of communication, let alone that it was better than the old one.

So, how can we get the word out?

1) Ask club reps, through the clubs' list,  to pass on the information about the Forum to their members.  Many of us have already done this, but perhaps the request can be made official?

2) Judges could mention it--really just a word or two-- in the general briefing. I know there are a lot of things to get through in a briefing, but at least people could be made aware that it exists.

3) Trial secretaries can pass the word on as well.  I know I send bits of information out to exhibitors before the trial...it could be added there, for example. Plus, I assume that new wording is being added to premiums, replacing the section about the Yahoo? Perhaps a big red arrow could point to the change, since we all know people are notoriously bad at reading premiums.  :)

I'm sure others have more ideas!

Lynda in OR

Lynda King

Lynn Broderick

• Trial Secretary
  • "Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone"
    • www.petworksbuffalo.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
I'm not afraid of new things, and definitely in favor of better, always...

I do miss the digest option of the yahoo group. My one wish (at present) is for that option to be available in the forum. I too find it hard to visit this site every day- to have it arrive in my mailbox works really well for me. I can skim past the ones I'm not interested in, but I do know that a topic has been started. I have marked notify on all discussions on here, but it seems to be hit or miss.

Chris- is a digest option a possibility?

Regarding the switch from yahoo to here- I'm in favor of a cut-off date, but has this forum been really promoted/blitzed so everyone knows? I think that has to take place before the yahoo group goes down. And maybe daily reminders on the yahoo group that an end-date is nearing?

Oh- other thoughts- can we get the NADAC Rescue info on here? And, is the club list going to be converted as well?

Thanks for everything you do!!
Lynn
Lynn Broderick
Up and Over Dog Sports & Four Seasons Agility Club
and Team Agileblur- Amber, Maverick, and Riley (at the Bridge)

Jackie Brasen

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I agree, give a heads up and set a timeframe of whatever it is. Same as we say a new rule will go in effect by this date or that date. Some people won't like it, some people will wait till the last minute... but it does get done.

The only other thing I would say is please advertise the change well on the website and the old yahoo group. It is easy to set up an automatic reminder - have a message that goes to all on the yahoo group once a week until final move date... or something like that.   ;)

for my part I'm going to include and extra line in our results email on how to check their points & suggesting they sign up on this forum from the trial I am secretary for this coming weekend. If everybody spreads the word we'll get more people here and eventually most of them will be happy about it.  ;D
mom to the TN Shedding Wonders

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »
Digest...maybe.   individual emails...maybe.

I will dig deep when I get settled tonight.

My viewpoint:

If this forum does what I hope it will a digest or individual email option will be impossible to read.

So many people don't read that yahoo group because its hard to.  If all those people (plus new ones) all start posting here then it would become unbearable the sheer number of emails you would get.

Which is why a digest/individual email option is so hard to find with these forums, because they are built for a lot of posts to go through.  And most all programmers would find it silly to build a mod that would essentuall clog their users emails.

Maybe we will never get to that point.    Buti know on the other boards I am on I am very grateful that I don't have thousands of emails each day

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
A digest seems like a waste of time to me.

The forum is set up in a way that folks can manipulate it as they so choose . . .

I would suggest that Sharon, Chris or someone start a weekly "Countdown Notice" on the Yahoo! list towards July 15th . . .

EVERY list, forum, whatever . . . has limitations . . . why don't we ALL WAIT to see what Chris comes up with, given "Mom's" and "Sis's" input as to what they need!!!

NADAC offers soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to their exhibitors!!!  Let us ALL give Chris and his "advisors" a bit of time to sort of "refine stuff" . . .

For as computer unsavvy as I am, I've already come to the LOGICAL conclusion that the FORUM format will be DIFFERENT from the Yahoo! format . . . <Insert Homer Simpson D'Oh!" here>

I get the VERY REAL sense that Chris and Amanda are assuming much more of the NADAC "work load" so their Mom and Becky and a few others can start to look forward to a bit more time sipping a cocktail on the deck instead of burning the midnight oil over a computer . . .

Ya know, over the history of NADAC, Sharon, Becky and so many others have devoted such a HUGE portion of their lives to NADAC and catering to us . . .

Amanda has a spouse to be nice too . . . Chris is still an unattached, HANDSOME, FLIRTATEOUS cowboy . . . so their time is legitametely budgeted differently . . . at least I hope that it is!!! <G>

Ya'll gotta remember the time when something else was more important than agility in yer life! <LOL>

The NADAC forum is AWESOME!!!  Chirs, Sharon, Amanda, Marj, Arlene, Becky and others have kept us updated here as well as on the Yahoo! site!

C'mon guys, stuff is changing and progressing . . . get wit' da program . . . or get left behind!!!

Al & Pellinore in OH
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
I think people have touched on many of the reasons that people have not yet migrated here.  Whether it's because they're busy, or are afraid to try something new, or think it's a waste of time to check two lists, or they think they are already getting what they need from the Yahoo list so why go elsewhere, or don't want to take time to learn yet one more new thing in their already busy lives, or they even don't KNOW the forum exists.... 

I think there is one answer to get people to come to the forum: the Yahoo list ends.  Publicize daily or weekly on the Yahoo list that the Yahoo list will be ending on a certain date, and then on that date the Yahoo list ends.  I don't know if a message can then be left on the Yahoo list when it is over so those who didn't get the message earlier know where to go, but even if not, if it is publicized as the first post on the list every day, people will have no excuse.  As Jackie said, some people may not like the change, or wait until the last minute to change, but if they have to be here to get information about NADAC, they will come.   8)

I liked the digest too.  It was each individual post coming as individual emails that drove me nuts, so I changed to the digest. That way I knew I was getting every post, and could ignore those that did not interest me.  Here I am still uncertain whether I have read every post that might be of value, or if I missed a post because someone posted it under a topic that has no relevance to their post and I did not look at it.  I have tried the "notification" tab, but that sometimes seems to be hit and miss.  It worked for awhile, and then notifications stopped coming.  And it appears that you have to request notification for each topic, but I may be wrong on that!

I don't know how Chris responds to every concern so quickly on the forum, but kudos for good work!
Sheila & the Shelties