Author Topic: Forum only?  (Read 5813 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Forum only?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
There is a button at the very bottom of the main page that says 'View the most recent posts on the forum'.

That will show each and every post.   Out of context, but there none the less.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
There is a button at the very bottom of the main page that says 'View the most recent posts on the forum'.

I've discovered "Show unread posts since last visit."  That takes me to the topic, and if I don't recall what the topic is about or the context, I can scroll up to read previous posts.  Is that the same thing? Does that ensure I don't miss any posts?
Sheila & the Shelties

JulieG

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »
(edited)
I believe that the longer the Yahoo! list in permitted to exist and be a "mirror" for the NADAC forum, the more resistant people will be to leave their old "comfort zone" of the Yahoo! list.

(edited)

That said, I would favor a conversion date no sooner than July 15th, 2012 . . . that gives everyone TWO MONTHS to "convert" . . . and absolutely no later than November 1st . . . which may give Sharon and the NADAC staff time to settle into their new "digs", get through the task of mailing awards and recover a little from 2012 Championships.

If it's difficult for any of us to keep pace with both the list and the forum, think of what it has to be like for Sharon and Chris!!!

For now, I would suggest that RULES UPDATES/CHANGES ONLY be posted on the NADAC forum . . . that should provide a sufficient "kick in the underwear" to get folks motivated . . . then again, there's still a handful that show up at trials with NO CLUE regarding rule changes and get upset when they learn of them!  Wha'cha gonna do 'bout 'dem???  Maybe they're mushrooms and love living life in the dark! <LOL>

I agree; I think a deadline would be great! One thing that is great about NADAC (although I will admit I have been frusturated at times depending on what why the quick change happens) is that decisions can be made immediately. There is no voting. Or over discussing everyone's opinion. For example; the recent change w/ skilled points going towards NATCHes again...poof, it's done; as it should have in the first place (ok, my opinion inserted there). The idea that rules/changes will be here only is a great motivator! Good idea!

JulieG

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
(edited)

So, how can we get the word out?

(edited)

Good ideas! The other thing is that the website still says to go join the yahoo list...maybe that can be changed!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »

I've discovered "Show unread posts since last visit."  That takes me to the topic, and if I don't recall what the topic is about or the context, I can scroll up to read previous posts.  Is that the same thing? Does that ensure I don't miss any posts?

Indeed it does

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »
Thank you all for your patience as we work through these things!  (Chris especially) You guys at NADAC must be sorely tried by us at times.
Sheila & the Shelties

LJKing

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »
Sheila wrote:
"I liked the digest too.  It was each individual post coming as individual emails that drove me nuts, so I changed to the digest. That way I knew I was getting every post, and could ignore those that did not interest me.  Here I am still uncertain whether I have read every post that might be of value, or if I missed a post because someone posted it under a topic that has no relevance to their post and I did not look at it.  I have tried the "notification" tab, but that sometimes seems to be hit and miss.  It worked for awhile, and then notifications stopped coming.  And it appears that you have to request notification for each topic, but I may be wrong on that!"

I'm trying to quote Sheila but I'm not doing it correctly. Anyway, I wanted to say that this is the only disadvantage I've found of the Forum. When everything is divided, how do you make sure you've read all pertinent posts? Not a complaint...I think Chris is doing a fabulous job. I'm simply wondering how I should go about it.

Lynda
Lynda King

Cris Larson

• Train 'Em Tasks
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
Personally, I'm beyond thrilled you have an online message board now. I'm so much more comfortable with this format than the email groups. I am the member of a bunch of yahoo groups for various dog related things. There's only one I really read through for New England Dog News/classes/events. It's short, there's little chatter on it other than to post events. Therefore it's quick and deadly to read.

The other yahoo dog groups there's a quite of bit of discussion and I have those set on daily digest. I skim the titles and see if anything really, really interests me...then I delete. I find it really annoying to see a topic that I might want to read but I see it with 20 replies. Then I have to wade through the replies to find the original post.  I can say, I may have read two topics from the NADAC yahoo group in the two years I've been on it. 99% of the daily digests, I skim and I delete. So, when the yahoo group moves on to the rainbow bridge...I can't say I'll miss it.  ;)
Cris and her rottweilers:
- URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP C-CD OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI
- Ocean RE OJP OAP XFP PD SPS SPJ APG SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 02:32:02 PM »
Sheila
"I liked the digest too.  It was each individual post coming as individual emails that drove me nuts, so I changed to the digest. That way I knew I was getting every post, and could ignore those that did not interest me.  Here I am still uncertain whether I have read every post that might be of value, or if I missed a post because someone posted it under a topic that has no relevance to their post and I did not look at it.  I have tried the "notification" tab, but that sometimes seems to be hit and miss.  It worked for awhile, and then notifications stopped coming.  And it appears that you have to request notification for each topic, but I may be wrong on that!"

I'm trying to quote Sheila but I'm not doing it correctly. Anyway, I wanted to say that this is the only disadvantage I've found of the Forum. When everything is divided, how do you make sure you've read all pertinent posts? Not a complaint...I think Chris is doing a fabulous job. I'm simply wondering how I should go about it.

Lynda

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 05:21:10 PM »

Lynda

Just hit "Insert Quote" that is in the upper right hand corner of the post you want to quote, and it will bring up a reply box with the quote already in it.  You can even edit the quote if you are careful to keep the two "quote" indicators on either side of the quote.  If you want to see what the message looks like before you post it, hit the "Preview" button ( it's with the 'post' and 'spell check' buttons) in the lower right hand side of the area where you compose your message.  Voila!  It willl appear in a box as your quote does above!

Sheila & the Shelties

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »
I fixed that one for you :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

tbkerns

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 04:25:40 AM »
Made the "Forum only" move today.  No longer receiving emails from "the list".
 :D

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »
Thank you!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Cris Larson

• Train 'Em Tasks
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
I'm another one that "cut the cord"...left the yahoo group just a couple of minutes ago.
Cris and her rottweilers:
- URO2 UCD UCH Lars UD GN RAE NJP NAP NFP C-CD OCC OJC TG-E EAC O-WV-E S-TN-E APDT RL2 AOE-L1, L2 HIC TT CGC TDI
- Ocean RE OJP OAP XFP PD SPS SPJ APG SPR NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE-L1 HIC CGC

Joe Fisher

• Agility Photos
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
There's a simple way, and IMO it's much better than digest.

Set it so there's a deal under account info that says "show unread posts since your last visit"

I'm sorry, that's the way I have mine set up but I cannot remember the specific steps I used.

it's great though, I just click on "show unread posts", there's a page with unread posts. I just can glance at them and click on what I am interested in.

I also have (under account info) "show new replies to your last post"

Joe

I do miss the digest option of the yahoo group. My one wish (at present) is for that option to be available in the forum. I too find it hard to visit this site every day- to have it arrive in my mailbox works really well for me. I can skim past the ones I'm not interested in, but I do know that a topic has been started.
Joe Fisher
http://dogshots.biz
Seamus and Teaghan, my Std Poodles