Author Topic: NADAC format  (Read 708 times)

arlene

NADAC format
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
I have been competing in NADAC trials since 2005. Then as a new agility person, I learned to play and have fun with my new corgi who was motivationally challenged. Probably because her owner was shy and not very exciting. NADAC allowed me the luxury of playing with my dog with different types of games or courses. When my second corgi came along I was a different handler and able to motivate and train my dog better but of course she had different issues than the first corgi. Again NADAC allowed me the time and venue to play and learn to become a better team with my dog. I absolutely was hesitant when the hoops came. "I can't send my dog through that thing. She'll think I am nuts". Of course we learned to navigate the hoops. So I wasn't hesitant over the barrels because I had been trying the beginner agility exercises with both my second and third dogs. I totally "get" that agility is a team sport and designed to play with your dog and become a team. However that being said I must say that the qualifying runs and titles that come with competition are tangible proof that my dog and I are occasionally a really good team and have succeeded at completing a course or title requirements. Every course is a learning experience, but it really feels great when you and your dog have a fantastic run. It reminds you of the fantastic run when you gaze at the ribbon or title certificate. It's like a badge of courage - the courage to try something with another living thing and succeeding. Arlene Powers
Arlene

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: NADAC format
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
Wow, that last sentence is very powerful!

Sharon

***It's like a badge of courage - the courage to try something with another living thing and succeeding. Arlene Powers
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility