Author Topic: General input on Intro to Agility  (Read 3329 times)

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: General input on Intro to Agility
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »
Our best indoor facility is a bit pricey.  So, to me the intro level is a wonderful idea.  It would be fairly easy to offer that level for just a few classes.  And in the end, you have to run your dog, in this area, in an indoor arena on dirt.  I will push for it locally.  It is HARD, folks, HARD for those of us learning human impulse control to scale down a course when we are going fairly well and then we push too hard and all goes totally downhill and our good friends tell us afterwards we really blew it.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Ashley Huffman

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »
BA would not be required for Intro.  That was mentioned to me, but I would not want to see BA as a requirement.

Sharon

I think that BA should not be a requirement as it is not offered everywhere.  Definitely, I think that the Intro is a good idea for those just starting out with trials and especially for those who do not have access to BA.  Not sure Intro would be warranted for every class that NADAC offers, but it does lend itself to classes like Regular, Weavers, Touch N' Go, and Chances (the ones that new Novice dogs seem to really struggle with in the beginning.)

Just my two cents,
Ashley
Ashley Huffman
Union Bridge, MD

Lissie the Schnoodle

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Definitely, I think that the Intro is a good idea for those just starting out with trials and especially for those who do not have access to BA.  Not sure Intro would be warranted for every class that NADAC offers, but it does lend itself to classes like Regular, Weavers, Touch N' Go, and Chances (the ones that new Novice dogs seem to really struggle with in the beginning.)

Just my two cents,
Ashley

That is the nice part is that each club could pick and choose which classes would have intro for their area and which ones don't.  And each club could have their own choices!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kamrin

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
An intro level would be perfect for my new dog who still needs a lot of reinforcement.  A shorter course, but still within the trial environment, would bring us greater success and I think would go a long ways to building a long and successful agility career. 

Note: BA is very difficult to find.  We would go that route if it was more readily available.
Kamrin
:)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
I have thrown the question out to the software vendors.  Two have responded so far and it sounds like it will be doable!!  I will wait until I hear from all four and what the time frame is!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

NancyK

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
I did the BA-1 testing with Brisco and he did receive his title.  While I thought this was a great experience it is totally a different experience than a trial because it was just me, Brisco and the two people judging in a room.  I am lucky enough to have a lot of fun matches in my area, not NADAC equipment, but we are still able to get our trial experience that way but for those that don't have that opportunity I think the Intro would be a good way for them to get that 'trial feel' with a shorter course minus the obstacles that are usually the ones that are the most difficult and needing more practice.  I will agree with Lisa that being offered only in the regular agility class would be enough.

Nancy

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
I have heard back for the software groups for FAST and AGT and both have responded that it is doable.  When I have a time frame for the addition of Intro I will let you know.

I haven't had a response from Agility Unscrambled or Trial Genie yet.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
Agility Unscrambled already has a Pre-Novice level.  I have to remember to uncheck it  when I set up my trials :)
Would this work?
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »
Agility Unscrambled already has a Pre-Novice level.  I have to remember to uncheck it  when I set up my trials :)
Would this work?

That is for Regular only, which works for you, but not for what NADAC is offering.  Also there are no Q's offered. 

So I am hoping that Debbie will respond with an answer one way or the other.  She is so good, I am sure that when she has time she will respond and can probably add Intro without a big hassle.

But, no, Pre-Novice is not the same as Intro, but close!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
Paul and Jack from FAST will be announcing the addition of Intro to any users of their software soon! Jack did the programming and Paul has been beta testing the software and they are ready to announce the addition of Intro to their trial secretary's software.  They are a very powerful team!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
For clubs using FAST software, Intro is now an option.  For clubs using any other software, do not offer Intro as your software will not support the level. 

When other software vendors get their software done, I will let you know!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

A Jussero

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
Is there a rule book or something to describe Intro?   Is it officially required that you have to complete Intro before you can enter Novice?
Ann J.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
Is there a rule book or something to describe Intro?   Is it officially required that you have to complete Intro before you can enter Novice?

No, it has never been said that one MUST enter Intro.  Intro is an optional level with a shorter course than Novice.  I did list a description with only one contact and no weaves except in Intro Weavers, which would be on set of 6.  No weaves in Regular and only one contact.  All other rules apply.

Sharon

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »
I can't begin to express my thanks and respect for those clubs who have already inquired about adding Intro to upcoming trials!  To look into the future and see how they can continue to provide more and more options for their competitors.

I know that more clubs use AU than FAST and hopefully they will respond with a time frame for the addition of Intro for the clubs using their software.

FAST is very progressive and "fast" to respond to the needs of their users, just like the clubs that use their software!

I know that there are many AU clubs that are wanting to offer Intro as soon as it is available also.

We thank you for the support of Intro and your vision for the future and promotion of this great sport to all involved!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »
GotDog? will add it as soon as software is available from AU!!  We have lots of up and coming baby dogs in the state and I am excited to give them a great option to introduce them to agility!!!
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT