Author Topic: funny printing  (Read 1234 times)

arlene

funny printing
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
I have noticed that often when I read posts by others that strange symbols appear in words that I don't find on my keyboard. Is this a secret language? Joking aside it does sometimes become difficult to read the post with the unusual marks for some words. I just hope I'm not going batty and seeing something not there. :'( Arlene
Arlene

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: funny printing
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »
Hmm.

Could you reference a post somewhere that I could look at.

Then I can start deciphering the issue :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
I don't know if it's the same thing Arlene is talking about, but sometimes there are strange characters that appear instead of punctuation marks.  I don't know of any to have you look at.  Often, an apostrophe is replaced by a half circle with 2 parallel horizontal lines and a superscript TM such as "trade mark".  There are some others I've seen but am not sure.  And sometimes there are strings of capital A inserted betweeen lines.  Not sure what those would represent.

If I see one I'll cite it for you , Chris.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Richard Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
Having thought about it a bit, I see this a LOT on the Yahoo list and might be mixing that up with seeing it here.

If I see one, I'll cite it for you, Chris.
Richard Wolfe

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »
Depending on their text editor, one sees it a lot on Yahoo........ we "shouldn't" see it here, it interprets much better than Yahoo!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Joe Fisher

• Agility Photos
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
I believe that those are caused by some browsers. For instance, when IE 9 was still in beta, sometimes spaces would appear as # signs, things like that.
I'm pretty sure that those are just holdovers. Nothing to worry about...:-)
Joe

I have noticed that often when I read posts by others that strange symbols appear in words that I don't find on my keyboard. Is this a secret language? Joking aside it does sometimes become difficult to read the post with the unusual marks for some words. I just hope I'm not going batty and seeing something not there. :'( Arlene
Joe Fisher
http://dogshots.biz
Seamus and Teaghan, my Std Poodles

Richard Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »
It would be interesting to know more about what Arlene was referring to.  Maybe her software isn't translating the emoticons or something.

I've been checking the Forum and haven't found an example.  Pretty sure it was the List I'm thinking of exclusively.  Just another reason to migrate to the Forum.  I'm liking it more and more. ;D
Richard Wolfe

Marion Erp

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Chris, I was told at work that the strange letters for apostrophes, etc. are because the person writing has his settings on html instead of non-html -- or maybe it's the other way around, but that's what causes those.  And I have no clue as to how to change one's setting to fix that.

arlene

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
It could be that I have seen it only on the yahoo site. If so then there isn't a problem with the Forum. Sorry to be a pain. Arlene
Arlene

arlene

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
Chris I found 2 examples both on the yahoo groups. #92724 RE: I LIKE! by Gayle Green and #92729 RE: NADAC forum by Jeannie Biggers. It does appear to be punctuation marks. If this isn't happening in the Forum then I'll be fine. Thanks for checking into this. Arlene
Arlene