Author Topic: Speed and Stakes trials  (Read 3961 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Speed and Stakes trials
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
At Speed and Stakes trials, all classes will still be run as "normal" classes.  In other words all classes will still have all levels and classes that are listed and are open to all entrants exactly as any other weekend trial.

In addition to the normal entries, competitors can also enter the "Speed and Stakes" part of the trial.  If they are entered in Speed and Stakes, then they cannot run in the "normal" part of the trial for Chances, Jumpers and Regular.  If a handler enters Speed and Stakes, then they will be scored as a Speed and Stakes entry for the entire day of each trial.  In other words they can't be entered in Elite Jumpers and Speed and Stakes Regular.  The entrant would be in the Speed and Stakes division for all Chances, Jumpers and Regular for the weekend.  If it is a full 3 or 4 day trial, then two days of the trial will be named as the possible S&S trial days.  The entrants must be entered as a Speed and Stakes entrant for both days, in all rounds of Chances, Jumpers and Regular for both days.

The Speed and Stakes courses are longer and more difficult than what the Elite level version of that course would be.  The S&S courses are set after all Elite, Open and Novice runs are completed.  They run separately and are scored in two different manners.  The courses will include extra challenges and more distance tests than the Elite level course for that class.

The entrants in Speed and Stakes will receive their "normal" score of faults, then time and will either earn a qualifier or not by the normal standards of scoring.  They will also be scored by the same standards of the stakes division of the NADAC Championships, which is a time plus faults scoring.  A dog could earn no points, or a 10 point Q, or a 15 point Q or a 20 point Q, depending on how much "speed" is exhibited and how much of a "stakes" performance is given (distance challenges).    It is possible for a dog to have faults but have a very high speed index and a very high stakes index and be able to still earn a qualifying round.

Each trial's speed factor is determined by the running surface of that location.  So a different speed factor might be used for running on grass versus running on dirt. 

During the trial the dog's S&S factors also accumulate towards possible "extra" points being earned by displaying consistency over multiple runs.  To earn extra points the dog must truly excel over multiple runs and multiple classes.

As each course is set, each obstacle is given a "point value" of 0-3 points.  There are also bonus boxes/lines on the course and if the handler can correctly perform the path to the obstacle and the obstacle itself, then they earn the possible points for that particular obstacle.  Their Stakes index is determined by the percentage of total possible points earned.  They must earn a minimum of 75% of the possible points to be eligible for a 15 point Q and they must earn 100% of the possible points to be eligible for a 20 point Q.   Their combination of their Speed index and their Stakes index will determine the value of the possible Q.  A dog might even earn 100% of the possible points, but if their speed index isn't high enough then they will not earn any extra points for the run.

Speed and Stakes is a very tough test of speed and distance that goes beyond the average tests on a given weekend.  A handler may leave the distance test area at any time and run closer to their dog and still possibly earn a "normal" 10 point Q on the run.

All Speed and Stakes entrants must be at the Elite level for Chances, Jumpers and Regular.

Once entries close for a Speed and Stakes trial, then entrants can email their desire to be switched from Elite to S&S for all Chances, Jumpers and Regular runs for the two days of S&S scoring.  There must be a minimum of 8 entrants for an S&S trial to take place.

Minimum ring size is an enclosed 120x120 or open area of 100x110.

Sharon
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:02:43 PM by Sharon Nelson »
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Diane Whitney

Re: Speed and Stakes trials
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
FUN! Yes!!! We're nowhere near Stakes-level distance but I would enter it just for different challenges and the fun of longer courses.

Do you still earn P-points in this?

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »
Thank you for this write-up.   It helps a lot and give me a place to direct people with these questions.  Looking forward to it in Elk Grove in April!
Jeff L.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »
FUN! Yes!!! We're nowhere near Stakes-level distance but I would enter it just for different challenges and the fun of longer courses.

Do you still earn P-points in this?

What are P-points?

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Diane Whitney

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »
Platinum points. I must hang around a lot of people too lazy ever to say "latinum"! :)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »
Platinum points. I must hang around a lot of people too lazy ever to say "Platinum"! :)

ahhhhh, ok, you had me totally confused on that one!

Yes, Platinum points are still calculated just like in other runs.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »
Thank you, Sharon!
Sheila & the Shelties

Kathy Phelan

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
Speed and Stakes sounds like amazing fun. Will it be offered in Bend? - Kathy
Kathy Phelan
Dusty Boots A'Flying (Dusty)
Dusty Boots Desert Fire (Shaleeh)
McCall, Idaho

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
Speed and Stakes sounds like amazing fun. Will it be offered in Bend? - Kathy

Yes, we will have an S&S in Bend!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

BetsieCorwin

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.  Don't think we're quite ready for S & S yet, but it will be fun to watch others give it a try at Elk Grove in April.  With extra time for more course setting, should we expect a longer day?  I usually commute each day, but might consider camping overnight if trial runs into early evening.  I know we've got a fair number of bonus/stakes folks who will be trying out S & S in our area and trialing on the big back lawn is always fun.

Betsie Corwin
Oakdale, CA

LJKing

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
Sharon, do you know if the software currently available (we use AU) will support these additions to a normal trial? Or are there plans to do it? Otherwise I can't see how we could start offering this?

Thanks

Lynda
Lynda King

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »
Sharon, do you know if the software currently available (we use AU) will support these additions to a normal trial? Or are there plans to do it? Otherwise I can't see how we could start offering this?

Thanks

Lynda

No.  S&S trials can only be offered at NADAC funraisers.  It takes special software and special judges! 

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LJKing

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
Oh, got it. I guess I missed that part of it. Thanks.
Lynda King

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
Oh, got it. I guess I missed that part of it. Thanks.

Our regular judges might fall over with a stroke if we made them do that on a weekend!!  The judging is different and the scoring is way different.  We use our Championships scoring package to run the S&S trials!

If clubs want us to offer an S&S in your area, just let us know and we will send a team in to do a funraiser!  You provide the equipment!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
Sharon,  Any chance Ron Young would be offering S & S at his Funraiser in May?
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!