Author Topic: Sof-Side, Collapsible, PURPLE Crates  (Read 1492 times)

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
Sof-Side, Collapsible, PURPLE Crates
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
Hi Folks!!!

Are you interested in a soft-sided, collapsible, PURPLE crate at a great price with FREE shipping to the continental, contiguous United States?  I just ordered one of these for our new, rescue maiden at Castle Camelot..........Pellinore's Milady Caitlin Of Camelot (Kate).

I found them on ebay at this web address: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pet-Dog-Carrier-Portable-House-Soft-Sided-Cat-Comfort-Travel-Tote-Bag-Oxford/351005554105?_trksid=p2050601.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D207%26meid%3D5391105387366364204%26pid%3D100085%26prg%3D1112%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D351005554105%26%26clkid%3D5391106457777642032&_qi=RTM1562569

There are 5 sizes.................and there is a "door" panel at the "front" and on one side panel".  Red, blue and gray are also available.  Dimensions are in inches, costs are in US dollars.

24x16x16: $33.99
28x21x21: $37.99
32x23x23: $44.99
36x25x25: $51.99
40x27x27: $58.99

Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Gael, Pelli & Kate
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Sof-Side, Collapsible, PURPLE Crates
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »
So you know if these meet airline requirements for the smaller ones?

Isabel
Isabel and Cocoa

TheQuestKnight

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »
So you know if these meet airline requirements for the smaller ones?

Isabel

Hi Isabel,

Sorry, I do not know if any of these crates meet airline requirements.  I wasn't aware that any collapsible and/or soft-sided crates would meet airline requirements...................there aren't that many "hard sides" that do...................at least to my limited knowledge base in that area.

Al
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Deanna in OR

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
Al, have you got yours yet?  I am wondering how they fold up.  Also, how heavy they are relative to other soft crates.

I would love to hear a report once your new purple crate arrives.

Thanks,
Deanna in OR
Deanna L in OR
NATCH-4 Vers-NATCH-4 Willow
Bree, the agility collie in training (catching up!)

TheQuestKnight

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
Al, have you got yours yet?  I am wondering how they fold up.  Also, how heavy they are relative to other soft crates.

I would love to hear a report once your new purple crate arrives.

Thanks,
Deanna in OR

Hi Deanna!

The crate that I ordered arrived on Saturday via FedEx in a simple cardboard box, which was FINE.  I ordered the 28"x21"x21" crate for $37.99.  The weight of the tubular frame is appropriate for the size of the crate.  The solid fabric and the mesh fabric, in my opinion, are quality materials.  The stitching is good.  There is a storage pouch sewn in to the top-rear of the crate (large enough for an appropriately sized bowl and food/treats); and a detachable bag that hangs on the back of the crate (good for important dog papers).  The front, top and side doors have velcro fasteners so they can be rolled up and fastened open.  The ONLY "flaw" that I found was that the velcro on the top piece was in the dog's space, was the "hook" side of the velcro fastener.  My wife used a seam ripper to remove the threads holding it in place and removed it with NO damage to the mesh fabric.

The only soft-side crates that we personally own are PetNation Port-A-Crates................2 different sizes of the same style purchased around 10 years ago, purchased at PetSmart (one of similar size to this one, one larger).......................................and a similarly-sized PetNation Port-A-Crate purchased at Walmart about 4 years ago (a significantly different style).

Is this crate as heavy-duty as the ones purchased about 10 years ago???  No, it's not..................then again, for the similarly sized one, it didn't cost the $80 or so that the old one cost 10 years ago.  The closest PHOTO to the old crates that I have is the current Noz2Noz crate from PetNation, available on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Noz2Noz-667-Sof-Krate-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B000P9TNLI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395069572&sr=8-2&keywords=petnation+dog+crate) for $72.97 for the 30" length model.  How does it compare to the one that I bought at Walmart 4 years ago???  Very, very similar as it regards the weight of the steel tube frame, the manner in which it assembles/disassembles, the solid fabric and the mesh fabric.......................and that crate is still available on at amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Petnation-606-Port-A-Crate-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B0007IOYIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395069462&sr=8-1&keywords=petnation+dog+port-a-crate) for $81.57 for the 28"x20"x20" model.  Walmart does not offer the 28" model, the other models that they do carry are priced similar to the purple one that I ordered from ebay.  PetNation crates are made by "Firstrax" (www.firstrax.net).

If you are so inclined, you might want to search "soft-sided dog crates" on alibaba.com (wholesale) and/or aliexpress.com (retail) sites.  These are the Chinese manufacturers' sites for businesses that make just about anything you care to find................and find in the US.  There are only several Chinese manufacturers that make soft-sided dog crates.......................and they make them for EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!.................so if you search, you'll find every soft-sided crate that you can buy here in the US......................and if you do it on alibaba.com, the wholesale site, you'll be amazed at how little they cost when purchased in quantity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You may also be a bit miffed at how much US retailers charge for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All things considered, the purple crate that I ordered is EVERY BIT as good as the PetNation Port-A-Crate that I bought from Walmart 4 years ago for around $30................and the purple crate has some extra features that the Port-A-Crate does not.

The crate folds down and sets up EASILY.  The two top side bars separate by sliding the connector "back" and letting each half-bar drop down along the upright supports (they are on hinges).  The front door "panel" folds down, the back "panel" folds over top of the front, and there are quick-release snaps to secure the "package"; and there is a carry handle.  When the crate is fully set up, there are also two handle straps which can be veclroed together..................and the crate can be easily carried (I'm assuming WITHOUT a dog inside).  The crate is very light in weight.

We looked locally (Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, Petco, Walmart, etc.)..............and on the internet (Drs. Foster & Smith, PetEdge, Chewy.com, amazon.com, etc.); and quite honestly, the items that I personally saw for twice the price or more, were NOT significantly better made, IMHO.

I would order more of these crates, as/when needed without hesitation.  Are they as "good" as the ones of similar construction from 10 years ago????????  No, I don't think that they are.  On the other paw, are you getting VALUE for your dollar?????????  Yes, I honestly believe that you are.

Personally, I have a REAL AVERSION to buying "cheap and low quality"..................on the other hand, I don't always need to have the "top of the line" to more than adequately do the job that I need the item to do...........and anyone that knows me, knows that I'm pretty critical when it comes to how things are made today!!!!!!!!!!!!! <LOL>  My best tools are still ALL German and made of German tool steel!!!! <LOL>

I would say that while our soft side crates get A LOT of use, it's pretty gentle use, so I expect to get quite a few years of service from the new crate.

I hope that I've answered your questions.................and provided you with sufficient information should you wish to do a little more "investigating" on your own.

If I can be of any additional help, please don't hesitate to post back and ask!!!!!!!!!

Best regards.............and HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLAINTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McAl, McBarb, O'Gael, O'Pelli & McKate

Barbara Stugart

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »
Hey Deana,
Just an fyi, I have the blue soft sided from this company and I LOVE it! It assembles and folds easily. I've been using it over 5 years and have had no problem with it. I purchased the larger one. 36" for my Australian Shepard. Lots of room for her to sit up and watch or take a nap. Well worth the $$$.
Barbara,Shyla & Kola
Wheatland, Wyoming

Lynn in VT

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
I ordered the 28x21x21 crate and am not at all unhappy with its quality for the price. 

However, if I had known its actual measurements  (27.5" long and 20.5" wide and only 19.5" high), I would have ordered the next size up. I know these might be considered small variances from that advertised, but the 1/2" off the height and the 24 sq. inches off the floor area seems significant.

Just wanted to warn anyone interested that they might run a little small --

Lynn
Lynn in VT
& Mia & Zodi & Redi