Author Topic: Safe, Legal, Medical Cannabis For Dogs & Cats  (Read 470 times)

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
Safe, Legal, Medical Cannabis For Dogs & Cats
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
Hi,

We have been experiencing some moderate anxiety & stress issues with our new rescue, Caitlin, so I consulted our vets, both traditional and alternative therapies, for suggestions for medications and/or supplements that would "take the edge off" and make it easier for Kate to learn "lessons" without as much anxiety or stress.

We settled on a product called "Canna-Pet", organic, USA made, hemp without the THC (the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana) because our alternative therapies vet has experienced a number of successes for a variety of conditions in his clients' pets.  Canna-Pet has no known negative side-effects............and it is compatible with current medications and supplements.

I am currently awaiting delivery of my order, which did NOT require a prescription.  None-the-less, I cannot strongly enough urge that anyone interested in medical cannabis to thoroughly read through the Canna-Pet site at www.canna-pet.com...........and to discuss the appropriateness of cannabis therapy for your pet.

Personally, we believe that American medicine has just begun to scratch the surface of all of the benefits and beneficial compounds that cannabis contains.  Fortunately, veterinary medicine has been much more receptive to alternative therapies.  Under NO circumstances do I consider cannabis to be a panacea or a cure-all; but it may be useful in certain situations, either alone or as an adjunct to other therapies.

The folks at Canna-Pet are also extremely helpful answering questions and offering suggestions.................and their response time is RAPID...................I recieved mine in well under one hour!!!!!!!!!!

The cost is reasonable, $2-$3 per day for dogs, depending on the dog's weight.

The time spent reading through the Canna-Pet site is time (and not a lot of it) well spent, IMHO.

Hugs & wags,

Castle Camelot 2014: Al, Barb, Gael, Pellinore & Caitlin
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Safe, Legal, Medical Cannabis For Dogs & Cats
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
Just a comment.  I know nothing about SAFE medical cannabis for dogs and cats.  BUT I do have a friend, whose very qualified search dog apparently found some "leftover" cannabis when they were out on a hike (thankfully not on a search!).  It may have been the butt end of a joint, or even some human poop containing the dregs, or who knows.  Within a few hours, the owner was quite sure the dog was dying!  Unresponsive, "stoned," etc. etc.  She drove 100 miles to the vet office, where three or four vets were perplexed.  Thankfully, one tech who also works at the emergency vet office, had been there when someone brought in a dog who "accidentally" got into someone's stash (this was in Colorado, but before it was legal!).  The dog looked just like my friend's dog.  So - with blood work and everything else inconclusive, that's what they decided.  She eventually came out of it just fine.

But as it becomes more common, accidental poisonings may become more common too.  And I'm sure the medical version needs to be stored carefully (as I'm sure Al will do).

Probably nobody on this Forum needs this particular information....but file it away in your grey matter for your friends, etc.
diane

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
Re: Safe, Legal, Medical Cannabis For Dogs & Cats
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
Hi Diane,

You bring up a VERY VALID point!  Canna-Pet is NOT the same as marijuana!  Marijuana is dangerous to dogs...................and can be fatal; but the culprit in marijuana is the THC.............the psycho-active ingredient that gets one "stoned". 

Canna-Pet does not contain THC (THC levels are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo low, lower than what is generally considered negligilbe).....................what it does contain are the beneficial phytocannabinoids, terpenoids and flavanoids.

There is a very good explanation on the Canna-Pet website regarding the differences between the Canna-Pet formulation and "medical marijuana"...............................and what each component does............

It's not unlike the high blood pressure medication that I take...................it was originally distilled from deadly snake venom..........................the venom kills.....................the distillate of the beneficial ingredient helps.............................or digitalis which can be beneficial for heart patients; but the plant, foxglove, is deadly...................

I am NOT suggesting that anyone use this product without first consulting with their trusted veterinary health care team AND reading the entire Canna-Pet website AND doing their "homework".  I was fortunate to recieve a recommendation from our alternative therapies vet, who is also a licensed, practicing traditional vet, with whom we have had a trusted relationship for over 6 years.  I only posted the information on this forum for informational purposes only...................folks are free to do with the information as they choose.

Respectfully,

Al   
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.