Author Topic: CHAMPS 2014 ---  (Read 828 times)

vteshera

CHAMPS 2014 ---
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
Hello- This will be my first year attending Champs.  Would someone recommend a dog friendly motel for me for my stay  in South Jordan?  It will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  Vicky

coagility

• Trial Secretary
Re: CHAMPS 2014 ---
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
I booked in at the Sleep Inn --- This will be my first year at Champs to so haven't stayed here before, but this one seemed close by and was dog friendly.   They charged a small fee for the dog, but even with the fee it still was less expensive than LaQuinta that doesn't charge for dogs.   The Sleep Inn also has refrigerators in each room which is nice.   LaQuinta only has refrigerators on request and it was $10 a day for one.  Hope that helps!

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
Along these lines, can someone give input on the RV camping at the site in South Jordan?  Hook-ups,  cost, grass for dog walking, etc.?
Thanks,  Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Becky Woodruff

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:03:12 AM »
Along these lines, can someone give input on the RV camping at the site in South Jordan?  Hook-ups,  cost, grass for dog walking, etc.?
Thanks,  Linda
I'm out of town right now but when I get back to Bend in about a week, I'll be contacting the venue and getting an update on the cost for parking, vendor space information, concession, etc.
Will post when I have some concrete information.

Sure looking forward to visiting UT again!

Becky
Becky Woodruff

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Linda, I think Emily Glatzel will be in touch about RV parking at Champs sometime soon.

Meanwhile:  There are electrical hookups only.  Last time, they brought in some extra "boxes" and I believe there were a few problems at first but they were worked out.  (I never had any issues, and was there 7 nights.)  There are no water or sewer hookups, directly.  Some folks, I think, managed to get a long hose to top off water, but I wouldn't expect it at your individual site.   And as I recall, there was a mobile honey wagon that came around sometime.   I don't remember cost, but it was reasonable (more to come on that, I'm sure!)  There are a couple of showers somewhere, but again, as I recall (not my best strength - recall!), one had to find someone to unlock them.  I never did use them. 

OTOH, there are several VERY large grass fields right near by!  (Also available to Champs folks who are not RVing)  There was some event on the grass on the weekend (soccer game), but even so, there was plenty of room for dogs.  It *is* near a fairly busy road, and the fence would not keep dogs in.  But it was very very easy to stay a long way from that road.

The RV parking is very close to the building - closer to the spectator/restroom/food vendor (which was definitely "ugh") end than the competitor entry, but still WAAAAYYYY closer than Springfield or Gillette or Shelbyville! 

diane

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
Last time Champs was in Utah our whole group booked at La Quinta. The first room they put me into made my eyes *literally* water from the smell of dog pee. They gave me another room that was only *slightly* better...the hallway didn't smell much better. I changed motels! Other folks didn't have the same experience that I did but they came in earlier for the Extreme Games, I came only for Champs so maybe the "better" smelling/cleaned rooms they gave away earlier...????

That was just my experience, but it left such a strong memory that I likely won't be making a reservation there this year...
-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

vteshera

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »
Thank you all for your experiences, etc.  for finding a decent motel.  I made reservations today at the sleep inn -- as the rates were a little more modest then La Quinta.   Appreciate the input.
Vicky

JuliaJones

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
I am planning on renting an RV and using the hook ups at Champs.
The cost for the RV is about the same if not less than a hotel room and I will already be at the site. I have checked with the RV rental (cruise america)
and well behaved pets are allowed :)

Deanna in OR

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:43 PM »
Two years ago, we rented an RV (Cruise America is dog-friendly) and camped at the South  Jordan site.  We picked it up in Salt Lake City and returned it there, so no miles to speak of were added.  We also had our van that we drove to Utah, so we could run to the grocery store, etc.  (We did the same in Gillette in 2008 but had a much longer RV drive from Jackson, WY).

As someone else said, electricity-only for hook-ups for RVs, parked in a big parking lot.  But it is as close to the arena as the horse-stall crating area, and for Champs, with the very long days, it's nice to be able to go make lunch or take a nap in the RV, and to leave the dogs there.

PLENTY of places to walk the dogs, both on nice large grassy areas and for longer walks around the event center/racetrack. 

One thing I remember about the site was very limited wifi access, and you had to pay for it.  It only worked in their office/conference area.  My husband and I both had to do some work and had to get online for a couple hours each day (the only way we could get away for Champs).  The people running the event center were nice and let us use their conference area, which was quiet but still in the arena, and the only place with good wifi reception.  I don't know if wifi access will be any better this year, in case you need it.

Deanna in OR
Deanna L in OR
NATCH-4 Vers-NATCH-4 Willow
Bree, the agility collie in training (catching up!)