Author Topic: The new forum...  (Read 6591 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: The new forum...
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
Karissa, I am going to highly disagree with you about moderated lists.  They DO grow!  Our agility list is the second largest in the world (behind Clean Run) and the biggest part of this is because people are happy that they don't have to hear non-stop negative ramblings and criticism of each other.  Our list is friendly, supportive and is a great family of fellow supporters who "enjoy" each other's presence.  This is not true of the non-moderated lists where people can be very rude and totally "out of line" before they get put on a "moderated" status.... but that is after the damage is done.

Our lists will remain modertated and that is not open to change..... we are always overwhelmed with the appreciation of the "masses" who want moderation so topics can be talked about with good input and opionions without emotional outbursts.

For those who do enjoy that type of "reading" there are dozens of agility lits and forums that are not moderated and they don't have the size of of our agility list of 5,800 people on Yahoo currently.

There are many "real-time" forums for people to use for social networking and there are no shortages of those!

We will maintain our current status!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kathy Thacher

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »

I will make a short video later on today showing you guys how to change your theme settings.

Then you can make it look however you like!

I did it!!  I found where to change my theme and it's perfect! 
Kathy Thacher

StefanElvstad

• Judge
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »
Anyone who has managed an unmoderated list knows what a nightmare it is to battle SPAM and other unauthorized and inappropriate messages. There are hoards of programmed robots continually searching through the lists and forums etc to post advertising, malware and scams on unmoderated lists. Removing such messages after the fact is a never ending battle that consumes far too much time and effort, not to mention that is a terribly annoying task. There may also be a liability issue for the site owner (NADAC) if defamatory remarks or other illegal activity is performed via the site.

I also believe that the popularity of the NADAC group list is much due to the fact that it is moderated. Another, very important factor is that Sharon, as the moderator, does not block messages that are critical to decisions made or that promote views contrary to hers. So, the only negative for us as forum participants is that there can be a delay for posts to make it through. I'm amazed at how short that delay usually is, and it is a minimal price to pay for the benefit of forums that provide for so much information and exchange of ideas through civilized discourse.

For a long time, I've wondered how one person possibly could do all the things Sharon does, and moderating the forum(s) must take up a lot of time and require a lot of effort. However you do it, Thanks!

Stefan Elvstad

Karissa, I am going to highly disagree with you about moderated lists.  They DO grow!  Our agility list is the second largest in the world (behind Clean Run) and the biggest part of this is because people are happy that they don't have to hear non-stop negative ramblings and criticism of each other.  Our list is friendly, supportive and is a great family of fellow supporters who "enjoy" each other's presence.  This is not true of the non-moderated lists where people can be very rude and totally "out of line" before they get put on a "moderated" status.... but that is after the damage is done.

Our lists will remain modertated and that is not open to change..... we are always overwhelmed with the appreciation of the "masses" who want moderation so topics can be talked about with good input and opionions without emotional outbursts.

For those who do enjoy that type of "reading" there are dozens of agility lits and forums that are not moderated and they don't have the size of of our agility list of 5,800 people on Yahoo currently.

There are many "real-time" forums for people to use for social networking and there are no shortages of those!

We will maintain our current status!

Sharon
Stefan Elvstad
Liberté Agilité Fraternité

Joe Fisher

• Agility Photos
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
I Love, Love, Love the ability to just look at unread posts!! No more wading through a bazillion replies in which I'm not interested to get to the "meat". :-)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:05:26 PM by Joe Fisher »
Joe Fisher
http://dogshots.biz
Seamus and Teaghan, my Std Poodles

Jeanne Allen

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »
I timed it and it took 27 seconds to load.  :o

Lindsey

I am not sure about that one Lindsey.

I have viewed the forum on 4 different computers, 2 smart phones and an ipad and haven't had to wait that long on any of them...if anyone else is having this problem let me know and I will do some digging

Chris, I am also having trouble with things loading slow!
Jeanne Allen and the Blue Dogs Gypsy and Jester
Boise, ID

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
Hmm I will do some research tonight and see if there's anyway to make it faster...it may be a hard fix

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

AnnaMarie

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
I am not sure if this has been addressed already so I apologize if it has. Regarding the new forum, is there any way to get the messages in email form?? I don't have time to go through the messages every day to find new posts, plus lots of times, if it isnt in my email, I don't remember to go to the forum. Thanks!

AnnaMarie
AnnaMarie H

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
I am not sure if this has been addressed already so I apologize if it has. Regarding the new forum, is there any way to get the messages in email form?? I don't have time to go through the messages every day to find new posts, plus lots of times, if it isnt in my email, I don't remember to go to the forum. Thanks!

AnnaMarie

Hi Anna,

At this time there is not.

It's something I will look into though as time allows :)

Currently the best option is to click on 'show unread posts since last visit'

And then click on the 'new' tag that is to the right on all those topics.   That is the absolute quickest way to find new posts :)   And then you don't have to scan through each board individually