Author Topic: Want to do my first trial... Help!  (Read 4472 times)

Visionagility

• Trial Secretary
Re: Want to do my first trial... Help!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »
Hi Kasey,

One more thing I have found to be helpful when entering a first trial is to print out and have available a copy of the NADAC exhibitors handbook lots of good information in there....and if you find you have questions about anything don't hesitate to ask! Hope you have a great first trialing experience all of the NADAC community is really helpful and friendly!!

Sunny Williams

StefanElvstad

• Judge
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 08:10:51 AM »
Hi Kasey,

There is a lot of great advice in the responses to your questions. First and foremost, a trial is an event for you and your dog to enjoy working as a team. If you both have fun in a run, that is success whether or not it was a qualifier towards a title. If something doesn't go as you had hoped in a run, congratulate yourself and your dog for all the things that did go well.

At the start of the trial and generally in the morning each trial day, there is a briefing by the club and the judge prior to the first class. Often the club or judge asks if there is anyone that is new to NADAC, participating in their first trial. That is a great time to find someone experienced to act as a mentor to guide you through your trialling introduction. Trials are in much social events where people get to meet others with a common interest. You will find that people are supportive, helpful and happy to answer questions. This includes the judge. We make a point of being approachable and do our best to make the trial a positive experience for all, particularly the newcomers.
Stefan Elvstad
Liberté Agilité Fraternité

Joyce Roessner

• Judge
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »
Hi Kasey
As others have said, never be afraid to ask a question if you don't understand something, there are lots of helpful and supportive people at NADAC trials!
Joyce Roessner
Calgary, Alberta

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 11:42:31 AM »
I totally agree with Al.  Go out and have fun!  Don't worry about doing a clean run!  Just do what you can.  If you are off-course, just continue on as best you can keeping your dog moving along the way.  Worrying about the off course causes both you and your partner lots of stress.  NADAC doesn't whistle you off for going off course. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »
Hi Kasey,

First off, WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF NADAC AGILITY!!!

You have received TONS of great advice & input to work with! Having fun is the key & keeping a positive attitude! EVERY little milestone out on course is a HUGE achievement!

If you have someone that you train with, perhaps they can help you fill out the entry. I was clueless when I filled out my first entry!! The Intro level is a great place to start if you are a bit apprehensive of running a full course.

Don't worry, we all had to go through our "first trial"! If you have questions, please ask! Be sure to get to the trial early enough to hear the general briefing from the hosting club & the judge. Little pieces of important info can be missed if you aren't there. Reading the NADAC rules & handbook are always helpful too! 

Oh, don't forget to volunteer to help! Bar setting even 1 class will give you an up close & personal view of other teams at the trial! This will also allow you to see that even "Elite" teams make mistakes! I myself am usually given AT LEAST one piece of "humble pie" during an agility weekend! Running 3-4 dogs at the trial gives me ample opportunities to make mistakes, along with those "PRETTY" runs that we all strive for!

So, go out there & have fun! Have confidence in yourself & your wonderful Lab!! Oh, & remember to BREATHE!!!!

Bernie Doyle & "The Blue Crue" .... + 1 Rental Corgi  :D
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

kaseyrichards

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »
thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I've just signed up for our first trial, June 1st in Rhode Island. Can't wait !!
Kasey
Bubba Henry

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
I believe that I will be seeing you in Rhode Island, Kasey! I will be judging there May 31st & June 1st. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. We are all out there to support each other!

Bernie Doyle
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »
Good luck and have fun! I do hope you'll post here after the trial and let us know how it went for you :)

You got some great advice. Remember your dog must run naked: no collar/harness/etc :) And dogs (and, more often (er, MOST often!), handlers!) make mistakes, so don't feel bad if you and your pooch have errors... remember, we ALL do, and it should always be about the FUN! Run fast, run clean! :)

Jessi
Jessi Zamboni

MichelleWhall

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 04:02:28 PM »
Hi Kasey!

We are happy that you will be joining us at the Addicted to Agility trial next weekend! You will love the location!

You will have a great time and you will not be the only new person there as there are several new people who have entered for next weekend too!  If you have any friends that want to enter tell them to email me and we will be happy to accommodate them!  There is no additional charge in entries fees for entering after the closing date if there is room.

We also have the following trials scheduled:

June 21/22
July 26/27
September 20/21
September 27/28
October 18/19

Another local club - Act-Up Agility Club also hosts a trial at the RI location on October 11/12.

Let us know if you have any more questions!  Doesn't matter how many you have we are happy to help!

See you next weekend!

kaseyrichards

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 07:14:24 AM »
Thanks again guys! Really appreciate everyone response.

Excited to do our first trial! I am going to give myself and Henry (my lab) a lot of slack since it will be our first ever. I'm sure he will be overwhelmed with new sights and smells and will probably think it's the best place ever since he loves people and other dogs. I do have a lot of confidence in Henry but ultimately we do this for fun. We are going to do 4 runs.. If we do well, awesome, if not, there's always another time and room for improvement.

Is there anything anyone can suggest that I bring with me that I may overlook? Trying to come up with a list of items to bring so I am prepared. So far I have the travel crate, leash/collar, dog bags, bowl, water, towel, treats, treat bag, ... do I need to bring any documents with me like info on the trial, vaccine info, etc. ? I'm assuming we check in first so is it best to crate him before check in or what is the process? Thanks again everyone, you've been great.

Happy Memorial Day!
Kasey
Bubba Henry

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 07:11:22 AM »
It is always a good idea to have a copy of your rabies certificate and other immunization data with you. 
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »
Hi Kasey!

You may want t o bring a copy of the premium, along with the classes you are entered in for the day. Have you entered  Henry in Proficient or Skilled? If he is jumping Proficient & is not jumping 20", he will need to be measured before he runs in his first class of the day.  If he is jumping as a Skilled boy, he gets an automatic 4" ht exemption. He would not need to be measured if he jumps in the Skilled division.

You may wish to bring a sheet to cover Henry's crate, just in case he gets a bit over stimulated  by all the action. Do you have a chair?? Bring something to sit on by Henry's crate! Sitting on the ground is fine, but after awhile you body will appreciate that chair!

Remember, if you have any questions, please ask!

See you this weekend!

Bernie Doyle

Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

Karin Bell

• Judge
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »
I have to chuckle because when I attended my first Fun Match, no one helped me with what to expect.  I just showed up with my dog on a leash.  No chair, no crate, no X-Pen, maybe not even a bowl of water for my dog...  Now my car is packed to the gills!  Bernie's advice is great!   ;)

Have fun with your dog!
Karin Bell
Auburn, CA
In the Heart of California's Gold Country

kaseyrichards

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
Hi Bernie!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Henry typically jumps 16" in our weekly agility class. He has jumped at 20" a few times, which he can do, but we typically leave jumps at 16" just because class only an hour and there are 5 other dogs in the class who jump 16" or below. So just less practice at 20".

I had been in touch with Michelle, who is associated with the club that hosts the trials and suggested to write the height I want him to jump at, so I wrote 16". I also signed him up for Skilled (although I'm not really sure the difference between skilled and proficient. I also checked him off for the Standard division , under the Novice level. Hopefully I choose the right ones! I am have entered Henry in Regualr 1, Jumpers, Tunnelers and Weavers.

Really looking forward to it! Thanks again!!

Kasey
Kasey
Bubba Henry

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 07:54:02 AM »
Hi Kasey,

Sounds like you & Henry are good to go!!! Since Henry is jumping 16" Skilled, he won't need to be measured.

Get a good nights sleep before the trial & have a safe drive!! See you June 1st!

Bernie  :D
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL