Author Topic: Safety on the Dogwalk  (Read 6861 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: Safety on the Dogwalk
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 10:16:54 PM »
For one, our club and I am sure many others could not afford the expense of another dogwalk.

Cathie Cage

I believe that even if the clubs could afford it, they wouldn't purchase a separate dog walk.  That would be why I would not make that suggestion.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »
Would it be possible to just lower the height???  Most competition dogwalks are adjustable and could be lowered some.  That way, clubs would not have to purchase new equipment and have a perfectly good dogwalk sitting around that they can't use.  The current ramps would still work.  Just wondering. 

Sara L

The only and biggest issue is that the lowered dog walk would not fit on the course design in the same space so if a course were tight to begin with and had no extra place to pick up some space, then the course could not be built as it is on the original design.

But if clubs wanted to lower their 12 foot ramps to 3' and let us know we could try to make sure it would fit on the course design!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »
I think that if NADAC made a change in dogwalk specs NADAC would basically disappear in the Illinois area.  We have very few trials as it is and those trials are getting smaller each time I go to one because there are so many venues to compete in locally.  We already don't get a lot of crossover from other venues and if the dog walk becomes different it would cut down our crossover people even more.  As it is, NADAC is "slatless" which I LOVE, and competitors from other venues are OK with, but if the height is changed, I can see more of an issue. 

I also thing the striding of a dog on an 8' vs a 12' dog walk is different.  And while it would be closer to the ground, I could also see a LOT more dogs (especially the bigger dogs) launching from higher on the ramp simply because their momentum would carry them.  An yes, you can train a stop at the bottom of the ramp but I train a bull mastiff who I wouldn't want her to stop at the bottom of the ramp simply because of her weight and stress on her shoulders.  And while a fall from 4' is higher than 3', I have found that most injuries are not worse from a height, but in how the dog actually lands from the fall.  And if you simply lower the height of the DW and leave it at 12', it would just encourage speed because the ramp is not as high and the angles are lower.  I think this could potentially cause more falls.  I do agree that the wind can be an issue at outdoor shows and when I run my little dog (11 lbs) he has had issues with the wind but this would happen regardless of the height of the dogwalk. 

IMHO, dog agility CAN be a dangerous sport.  Even with our best intentions, our partners can get hurt.  But they can also get hurt chasing a ball in the backyard.  It is up to the handler to make the dog as safe as possible in any game that we play with them.  There are always going to be distractions in the ring.  I had my dog jump from the dogwalk because the judge standing right next to it had on a BIG, brightly-colored, flower-bedecked floppy hat that was blowing in the wind.  So while things like screaming, banging, camera shutters are all distractions, they can be trained for by doing things like that in class or even at home.  When I train my dogs in the back yard, I often have kids in the neighborhood running around in the yard making noise.   I have had someone bouncing a basketball on my deck because of of the venues we compete in often has basketball games going on the other side of the aisle.  I have people blow air horns because another venue has soccer games going on and electronic timers are used.  I do this all while my dogs are on any piece of equipment because a dog can "crash" a jump/hoop, hit a tunnel bag (or a piece of contact equipment the tunnel goes under), or hit the weave poles at a bad angle at these distractions as well.  So while I can't train for EVERY distraction out there because there is always something "wierd' that comes up, I feel my dogs are well-prepared on any equipment with MOST distractions out there. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:55:40 AM by Audri, Cee Cee, Lily, Toto »
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Linda Grass

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
I like the idea of a lower dog walk.  I think there are options that could be employed.  One way to handle this is give clubs the option on height for a few years.  Another is If the ramps remain the same length they could maybe afford to just buy the legs to lower their existing one.   I understand that NADAC trial are becoming smaller, happening in our area too, but once people get use to the idea of safety they get on board.

garypaula

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »
What Sharon suggested is what I was thinking.  The dog walk our club owns can be lowered to 3' and everything else stays the same.  The ramps would still be the same length, so the obstacle would take up the same amount of space on courses that are already designed.  The running surface just wouldn't be as far off the ground.  This wouldn't cost our club anything.  We already use the lowered height for beginning dogs in classes.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
I think that if NADAC made a change in dogwalk specs NADAC would basically disappear in the Illinois area.  We have very few trials as it is and those trials are getting smaller each time I go to one because there are so many venues to compete in locally.  We already don't get a lot of crossover from other venues and if the dog walk becomes different it would cut down our crossover people even more.  As it is, NADAC is "slatless" which I LOVE, and competitors from other venues are OK with, but if the height is changed, I can see more of an issue. 

I also thing the striding of a dog on an 8' vs a 12' dog walk is different.  And while it would be closer to the ground, I could also see a LOT more dogs (especially the bigger dogs) launching from higher on the ramp simply because their momentum would carry them.  An yes, you can train a stop at the bottom of the ramp but I train a bull mastiff who I wouldn't want her to stop at the bottom of the ramp simply because of her weight and stress on her shoulders.  And while a fall from 4' is higher than 3', I have found that most injuries are not worse from a height, but in how the dog actually lands from the fall.  And if you simply lower the height of the DW and leave it at 12', it would just encourage speed because the ramp is not as high and the angles are lower.  I think this could potentially cause more falls.  I do agree that the wind can be an issue at outdoor shows and when I run my little dog (11 lbs) he has had issues with the wind but this would happen regardless of the height of the dogwalk. 

IMHO, dog agility CAN be a dangerous sport.  Even with our best intentions, our partners can get hurt.  But they can also get hurt chasing a ball in the backyard.  It is up to the handler to make the dog as safe as possible in any game that we play with them.  There are always going to be distractions in the ring.  I had my dog jump from the dogwalk because the judge standing right next to it had on a BIG, brightly-colored, flower-bedecked floppy hat that was blowing in the wind.  So while things like screaming, banging, camera shutters are all distractions, they can be trained for by doing things like that in class or even at home.  When I train my dogs in the back yard, I often have kids in the neighborhood running around in the yard making noise.   I have had someone bouncing a basketball on my deck because of of the venues we compete in often has basketball games going on the other side of the aisle.  I have people blow air horns because another venue has soccer games going on and electronic timers are used.  I do this all while my dogs are on any piece of equipment because a dog can "crash" a jump/hoop, hit a tunnel bag (or a piece of contact equipment the tunnel goes under), or hit the weave poles at a bad angle at these distractions as well.  So while I can't train for EVERY distraction out there because there is always something "wierd' that comes up, I feel my dogs are well-prepared on any equipment with MOST distractions out there.

I do believe I said that the ramps would have to remain the same length.  Maybe my post didn't go through.  Making a different ramp length would hurt way more than it could ever help.

What I believe I posted was that clubs could lower their current dog walk to 3' if they wanted to.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

KathieT

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »
My dogwalk is a competition dogwalk so I cannot adjust the height.  It would take some major work to change it (the legs as well as 2 braces underneath).  I know of 2 clubs that have purchased dw's fairly recently.  I realize that dogs can fall off a dw but I have seen dogs (including mine) fly off an a-frame because the sun was in their eyes when they went over the top. 

I guess I would rather see adjustments made if there is a problem with high winds and an unsafe for dogs that are not completing the dw safely.

Kathie
Kathie
Beulah WY

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
My dogwalk is a competition dogwalk so I cannot adjust the height.  It would take some major work to change it (the legs as well as 2 braces underneath).  I know of 2 clubs that have purchased dw's fairly recently.  I realize that dogs can fall off a dw but I have seen dogs (including mine) fly off an a-frame because the sun was in their eyes when they went over the top. 

I guess I would rather see adjustments made if there is a problem with high winds and an unsafe for dogs that are not completing the dw safely.

Kathie

No where, anyplace is there any mention that any club would "have" to lower their dog walk.  I would bet that 95% never would.  But if 5% wanted to, that is their choice.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

KathieT

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
Thank you.  I misread that.

Kathie
Kathie
Beulah WY

marycallaway

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »
I don't believe height is as much of a problem as plank width.  I run a male Doberman and the times he has fallen off the dog walk (akc/ukc) it's because of the narrow beam or the obstacle is not sand bagged well.  One slight misstep on that top plank and he falls.  Small dogs definitely have the advantage.  Larger breeds have to be extremely careful. 

You'll never be able to remove all of the dangers of agility.  It's a risk you take when you compete.

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
That would be wonderful...been 14 years at this height. My small dogs have at times been some who were blown off the DW so of course I would go along with the lower height. Our trials are all outside. However, then comes an equipment change for those clubs that would not have a DW the right height so there in lies the problem. I can set my DWs at two different heights. Perhaps allow two different height for a few years until a change over can be made by all.

I do agree that it is also a handler/training problem not an equipment problem. It was the same with the teeter, shoot, double and triple jumps and the tire. Unsafe handling and training of the obstacles. Please do consider this Sharon. 

LinB
mdt-AA LLC   

Mark Buehl

• Judge
  • Howdy y'all
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
I would be OK with it as well, but like Sharon feel there would be an uproar. My reasoning... 
Mark Buehl
deep in the heart of Texas.

Cindy

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
I would be OK with it as well, but like Sharon feel there would be an uproar. My reasoning... 

Wow....either you two have practiced that before, or you have really good reflexes!  Nice catch and nice trust on the part of your dog.
Cindy and the Beagles

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
Nice catch! ;D
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)

Cheryl Gilbert

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17:47 AM »
Very smooth...and nice contact.  :-)
Cheryl
Cheryl Gilbert with
Emmy, Allie and Bella
Rachel, Becky, Twinkles, Honey, Lucky, Wally, Benny and Daisy waiting on the other side....
Carpe Diem