Author Topic: Safety on the Dogwalk  (Read 6865 times)

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
Re: Safety on the Dogwalk
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 07:59:55 AM »
I don't believe our dogwalk adjusts to a 3' height.  Even if there was a multiple year grace period that would not make it any easier to afford the purchase a new dogwalk. 

Much like someone from Illinois posted, that would probably be the last nail in the coffin for NADAC in our area anyway.  I would probably deal with it because I like NADAC courses, but I can't control what the rest of the agility population thinks.  In our area it is way too easy to just go do the other 6 venues that are available.  So being totally selfish I only worry about how this would affect me, which would probably be that in an area with multiple trials every weekend I would have no trials to go to. 

Gina and Abbey

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:12 AM »
Although my first instinct would have been to try to catch my dog, to me, it looked like Mark's dog was "bailing" because he felt himself mis-step and he would have landed on his feet.  I am not sure I would have stayed on my feet like Mark did! 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Mark Buehl

• Judge
  • Howdy y'all
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
20% reflex, 80% dumb luck :) and yes we have developed a great working relationship over the last 11 years.
Mark Buehl
deep in the heart of Texas.

marycallaway

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
It looked like width was the problem. 

Heidi Konesko

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
well that looked planned, Mark!  Hey how come you didn't catch my Jack when he fell off it last year when you were judging us?  ;)
(just kidding)
-Heidi in NH
Heidi in NH with Hi Jack and newbie Maybelle
Sophie, Molly, and Penny waiting at the Bridge

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
I don't believe our dogwalk adjusts to a 3' height.  Even if there was a multiple year grace period that would not make it any easier to afford the purchase a new dogwalk. 

Much like someone from Illinois posted, that would probably be the last nail in the coffin for NADAC in our area anyway.  I would probably deal with it because I like NADAC courses, but I can't control what the rest of the agility population thinks.  In our area it is way too easy to just go do the other 6 venues that are available.  So being totally selfish I only worry about how this would affect me, which would probably be that in an area with multiple trials every weekend I would have no trials to go to. 

Gina and Abbey

Why are we talking about any grace period or any dog walk that doesn't adjust??  Never has there been any talk about any change or requirement of ANY kind.  I said IF a club wanted to lower theirs they could, but it would never be a requirement in any way whatsoever.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »
If clubs have the option of lowering their dog walk, then to what height and when could that be done. Are you looking for a Beta test run trial ? It would change the yardage/times for the courses then too. Something else to consider.

You are right Sharon this was never about the width of the dog walk or the length of the ramps, it was about the height of the Dog Walk.

What I have seen are training issues, bad entries on to the DW, very fast dogs and dogs looking at handlers. However, we do see some equipment problems with old sagging equipment that flexs too much with the weight of a big dog. Here we sometimes have windy weather problems which is not an equipment problem. We have had to turn the courses on the ground to help with the wind direct or the equipment has been removed for something safer in the wind. Everyone with a small dog has the right to ask the club and judge to consider doing that for the conditions.   

LinB

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 07:51:43 AM »
If clubs have the option of lowering their dog walk, then to what height and when could that be done. Are you looking for a Beta test run trial ? It would change the yardage/times for the courses then too. Something else to consider.

LinB

No, the yardage and times absolutely would NOT be changed or adjusted.  The dog is still covering the exact same piece of equipment.  That is not a factor in this topic at all.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Billie Rosen

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:01 AM »
Not only can't afford, but have no place to keep/store additional dog walks.  I absolutely favor keeping this sport as safe as possible, but changing the dog walk specs might actually be less safe for dogs that compete in multiple venues.  I love doing NADAC, but also enjoy competing in other forums as well, and this is true for many people in our area.  Our dogs learn how long and high the walk is, and that is predictable to them.  I used to hate trialing in another venue that allowed 8' long ramps because my dogs weren't exposed to it very often and they wouldn't necessarily know to adjust their striding in traversing a shorter walk.  And I have to say, in all the years I have been trialing, I have seen relatively few dogs fall off the walk, except in high wind situations, where NADAC allows the judge to pull the dog walk and substitute other obstacles in that part of the course.
Billie Rosen, Phoenix, AZ    agilek9s@phopaws.org
MACH 7 Klevír (Border Terr) CDX RE MXS2 MJG2 NAP NJP MXF MFG TQX T2B5 ME CA/NADAC NATCH 30 VERS.NATCH 22/USDAA LAA-GOLD ADCH PDCH-Silver/ NW3
Trukín  (Border Ter) CA,AX,AXJ,XF,SE,NATCH, V-NATCH 2/ AD/ NW3/SCA,SIA,SEA,SBA,SHDN
Kix puppy in training

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
Just because I can be anal about things like this...
Yes, the dog certainly does travel the same distance whether the dog walk height is say four feet or three feet, as the ramp lengths stay the same....
However  the ramps themselves will cover "more ground" on the course by virtue of the ramps extending out farther on the course as you lower the height.  I was wondering if that would impact the actual course design, so had to sit down and do the math  :). The difference between a 4' height and a 3' height would be 7.3258 inches (3.6629" at each ramp).  So I don't think that would have a significant impact requiring any--or perhaps miniscule--adjustments by course builders.
Vicki Storrs

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
Not only can't afford, but have no place to keep/store additional dog walks.  I absolutely favor keeping this sport as safe as possible, but changing the dog walk specs might actually be less safe for dogs that compete in multiple venues.  I love doing NADAC, but also enjoy competing in other forums as well, and this is true for many people in our area.  Our dogs learn how long and high the walk is, and that is predictable to them.  I used to hate trialing in another venue that allowed 8' long ramps because my dogs weren't exposed to it very often and they wouldn't necessarily know to adjust their striding in traversing a shorter walk.  And I have to say, in all the years I have been trialing, I have seen relatively few dogs fall off the walk, except in high wind situations, where NADAC allows the judge to pull the dog walk and substitute other obstacles in that part of the course.

No one has mentioned any club buying other equipment, no one has mentioned changing specs.

There is way more being read into this conversation than what has been said from the NADAC office.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
It appears to me that people are jumping in before having read the whole thread and Sharon's answers to previous posts.  That's how things get exaggerated.
Richard Wolfe
Rumor and Raven, newbie Bumper, in training.
Sparkle HOF and Rowdy, Gold Achievement Cup, both waiting at the Bridge