Author Topic: Bonus Runs - Time Management  (Read 870 times)

Lietzusa

Bonus Runs - Time Management
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
Looking for advice:

1.  How do you do time management when you are running two dogs in one class - one bonus dog and one not?  I find by the time I am done figuring out my bonus run, then I have to walk it for my not a bonus dog which leaves me very little time to spend with bonus dog, warming up etc.   I fully understand the running the bonus up front and I like that, but how do you properly warm up bonus dog if you are running two or more dogs in the same course, one bonus, other(s) not?   

2.  Some clubs are telling you if you spend the 2 minutes to look at the bonus line/box before the non-bonus folks move onto the course, you MUST run the bonus.  The rule book just says you need to declare that you are doing the bonus before the course starts running.  I will assume the rule book is correct and you can look then decide if the bonus is right for you and your dog or not.   I have heard this directed to folks who are not sure if they want to do the bonus or not.  My thought is to encourage them to do it, but gently, not to say "if you walk the bonus, you HAVE to run the bonus". 

Thanks, Sam & Schatzi & ShaSam's Squeek

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: Bonus Runs - Time Management
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
Looking for advice:

1.  How do you do time management when you are running two dogs in one class - one bonus dog and one not?  I find by the time I am done figuring out my bonus run, then I have to walk it for my not a bonus dog which leaves me very little time to spend with bonus dog, warming up etc.   I fully understand the running the bonus up front and I like that, but how do you properly warm up bonus dog if you are running two or more dogs in the same course, one bonus, other(s) not?   

2.  Some clubs are telling you if you spend the 2 minutes to look at the bonus line/box before the non-bonus folks move onto the course, you MUST run the bonus.  The rule book just says you need to declare that you are doing the bonus before the course starts running.  I will assume the rule book is correct and you can look then decide if the bonus is right for you and your dog or not.   I have heard this directed to folks who are not sure if they want to do the bonus or not.  My thought is to encourage them to do it, but gently, not to say "if you walk the bonus, you HAVE to run the bonus". 

Thanks, Sam & Schatzi & ShaSam's Squeek

On item #2, you do NOT have to run a bonus after walking it, that is your personal choice.

On item #1, that so greatly depends on each person's personal dogs.  Each dog has their own "best" protocol for running.  I am lucky that I am running multiple dogs on bonus/non-bonus runs in the same class and all of them are great whether they are first, last or somewhere in between and none require any type of "special" prep work before running, so I can't help much with your situation and don't know what each of your dogs need before running to perform their best.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

DataHound

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »
Steve

I had/have exactly the same question/issue. I can't say that I have a good answer but perhaps I can I offer a few suggestions.

First, I asked a judge who is also a bonus handler how she handles it. Her answer was that while she might not have time to do any warm up she will take 30 seconds or so to do a few focus and movement exercises to connect with her dog before running. She said as a judge she wouldn't have a problem with a bonus handler taking a few seconds to do this before a run. So, first, I always make sure to take a half a minute or so to connect with my dog.

Second, I don't attempt a lot of bonuses on any given weekend. So, I have at most 2 runs out of 6 on a given day when I don't have time for a warm up. I figure my dog can handle running a couple of runs without some kind of physical warm up. He's is good shape.

Third, I park a good distance away from the arena and crate out of my car. Thus, at a minimum he gets a trot/jog from the car to the arena.

Fourth, my second dog is older and I don't run her in everything. In part when I decide what classes to put her in, I consider what bonuses I would like to try if there is that option and I try to not put her in classes where I think I would like to attempt a bonus assuming there is  one. This serves to minimize the time problem but of course it is doesn't avoid all conflicts.

Fifth, in many cases, I have my spouse go get my dog so I can have a smidge of time to walk the course for my non-Bonus dog.

Lastly, if I know a bonus is coming up that I want to try and my dog will have been sitting in his crate for awhile I will try to get him out and stretch his legs/warm up before I need to walk the course.

Clearly there isn't one solution. Ultimately you need to find what works for you and from the looks of it you are being quite successful. Don't know if any of these will help but perhaps you can at least get some ideas. It used to kinda bug me that bonus handlers didn't have time to warm up their dogs before bonus runs but then I realized that if a trial is running small to tall then the 4 inch dogs are pressed for time to warm up on every run. I just have to deal with that issue a few times and by my own choice.

Good luck!

Sandy T, Flyin' Flynn and Sammy Jean
Sacramento, CA

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
This can happen even if you don't do bonuses if your dog is usually first.  That used to happen to me quite a bit.  I found it best to warm up either during the class before (novice or intro) or during the course build (sometimes during the build was not an option because I was the course builder!).  Warming up before the walkthrough allows me to put my dog(s) up after warming up and tehen walk the course, and then I go back to get them one at a time right after the walkthrough.  It actually serves me well, because after my bonus dog warms up for a while and then gets put back in the ex-pen, when I go back to get her, she is ever so happy to see me that it helps our connection.    ;D
Jeff L.