Author Topic: Tunnels  (Read 1649 times)

kaseyrichards

Tunnels
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:35 AM »
I heard a rumor that NADAC wants to do away with tunnels and replace with the barrels? Can anyone confirm or deny this.... be really bummed if that's the case, tunnelers is our fav course.
Kasey
Bubba Henry

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: Tunnels
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
I heard a rumor that NADAC wants to do away with tunnels and replace with the barrels? Can anyone confirm or deny this.... be really bummed if that's the case, tunnelers is our fav course.

That is the silliest rumor of all time!!  Please don't believe such rumors and always wonder about the source of the information......... and thank you for asking instead of spreading a very false rumor!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Team Twodog

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
Maybe this was a reference to NADAC replacing some (?) C-shaped tunnels with barrels on Regular (?) courses. Sharon, perhaps you could clarify when this is done and why?

(We like these barrel wraps. Just not sure exactly when they are used.)

Kim
Kim

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Maybe this was a reference to NADAC replacing some (?) C-shaped tunnels with barrels on Regular (?) courses. Sharon, perhaps you could clarify when this is done and why?

(We like these barrel wraps. Just not sure exactly when they are used.)

Kim

Yes, "sometimes" a U-shaped/C-shaped tunnel is replaced with a barrel.  For safety reasons, those tightly shaped tunnels do cause some falling inside the tunnel.  For handling reasons, it is a challenge for the HANDLER to create a correct path around the barrel and not let the tunnel force the dog's path. 

So occasionally a barrel will be used in a sequence where a tightly shaped tunnel could have been used.  It is more likely due to an increase in handling challenge desired for the course.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:56:58 AM »
Although I have short legged dogs, I have friends with much taller breeds and some of them truly appreciate the use of a barrel in place of a 10' C-shaped tunnel.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Connie Day

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
I don't like seeing tight shaped tunnels.  My bullmastiff has gone into a tight tunnel sound and come out  lame, so now I am careful about what I send him into.  But it's been awhile since I've seen something to tight for him to safely do.  But just because something is to tight for him, does not mean that it is to tight for a "normal" agility dog.  Personally I'm happy that most of the tunnels in tunnelers are straight (ish) or have gentle curves. 

Connie

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »
Hi Connie,
Tight tunnels don't cause the problem it is the incorrect bagging of tunnels that can cause injury. Check them out. You have every right as a competitor to ask that equipment/courses be safe for your dog to run. It must be wonderful to see a Mastiff doing agility, we don't have any around our area. Keep up the good work and have fun. I'm sure he is a good representative for his breed.

LinB
mdt-AA LLC

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
Since you mentioned the bagging of tunnels Lin, please explain what the correct bagging should be for both gently curved and for u-shaped tunnels.  In the past I  have seen judges put extra bags in the middle of the curve, and others say you should never put bags in the middle.  I would just like to learn which is correct and why - and why the "other way" is not good.

Hi Connie,
Tight tunnels don't cause the problem it is the incorrect bagging of tunnels that can cause injury. Check them out. You have every right as a competitor to ask that equipment/courses be safe for your dog to run. It must be wonderful to see a Mastiff doing agility, we don't have any around our area. Keep up the good work and have fun. I'm sure he is a good representative for his breed.

LinB
mdt-AA LLC
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Connie Day

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
Lin,

I don't believe that the problem comes from the tunnel bags.  I have a very big boy, he is not a normal agility dog.  NADAC has replaced some tunnels with barrels because they would have been a tight U shape, and this can be hard for some dogs.  I've run tunnelers when there was a barrel on course, this allowed the dogs to turn as tight as they could, but if they can't turn tight, it allowed them to make a wider turn.

I also don't let him go across a dog walk, because for him, it's not safe.  He is too big, and he wants to run agility at full speed.  Just because something is not right for Arthas does not mean that there is something wrong with what is set. 

I just had to learn what he can do, and what it not right for him.  If something ever looked like it unsafe, I would say something, but just because it's not right for my dog does not mean that there is something wrong with how the course was designed or how it was built.

Connie

Hi Connie,

LinB
mdt-AA LLC

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 03:08:52 PM »
Hi Connie,
Well, probably this is best answered by Sharon and I hope she will also reply, but to the best of my knowledge tunnels are not to be bagged in the center of a curved tunnel. It is supposed to be able to move as the dog goes through. If bagging it on the curve the dog can hit the sand bag like a brick wall and be injured. Hope that helps. Watch for Sharon, Amanda or Cris to reply with post. Straight tunnels are only bagged on each end.

LinB
 Mdt-AA LLC