Author Topic: Beginning / foundation pathwork training  (Read 3518 times)

Andrea Arbogast

Beginning / foundation pathwork training
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
I have been reading the posts about pathwork, and am wondering if someone can point me to some exercises or resources that focus on pathwork.

My dog Lola and I are intermediate NADAC competitors, and I am realizing that the training I am getting in my area is focused more for other venues. We came to NADAC after Lola flew off a teeter an hurt herself in a trial. She has refused to get back on the teeter since, and I don't blame her. I don't care if she can do a teeter or not, and I want her to feel successful when she runs (she is very soft), not be stressed that she might be asked to do something she is afraid of. So NADAC really seems like where we belong.

We are having trouble making time, which isn't an issue for us in other venues, and I know that this has to do with not taking the most efficient path. Also, Chances is a real issue for us.  :D

I also have a 6 month old puppy that I would love to start out the right way. We are going to have to do a lot of "home schooling", since our club is very obstacle focused. Any information you can give on foundation work that is path focused would be much appreciated!
Andrea Arbogast
Lola & Samba

Ed and Dino

Re: Beginning / foundation pathwork training
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »
Andrea,

I'm replying not that I can help much but to maybe help get you some other responses.

Where are you located? Perhaps if you mention that someone local too you may have some other training suggestions.

In regards to not making time are you entering skilled to give yours self more time?

Just remember to keep each run fun no matter what happens and this can help build speed too.
And good luck.
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Off Course Agility Podcast
available on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher and Anchor

Linda

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:32:31 AM »
I have been reading the posts about pathwork, and am wondering if someone can point me to some exercises or resources that focus on pathwork.

I also have a 6 month old puppy that I would love to start out the right way. We are going to have to do a lot of "home schooling", since our club is very obstacle focused. Any information you can give on foundation work that is path focused would be much appreciated!

I am looking for the same info...I have a 7 month old pup that I need help starting the proper "NADAC" way.
Linda
with Sawyer and Tursi
At the bridge NATCH/VNATCH Pony and Con

"The real joy is in the privilege and ability to step to the start line with your dog by your side, not in crossing the finish line victorious over others."

Team Twodog

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
The best resource I know of is Amanda Nelson's online classes (fluidmotionagility.com). Sign up for her Foundations of Distance class and I think you will find what you are looking for. If money is tight, auditing is cheap and auditors get all the material they need to get on the right "path".
Kim

Mary Kapner

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
I second the suggestion of Amanda Nelaon's online courses.  Very easy to understand.  Not too much info thrown at you at once. 
Mary Kapner
"Poodle This!"

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »
Taking a seminar offered by NADAC or a NADAC clinician is a great way to learn more.  It would be nice to have a book out there, but I am not aware of any.  (Someone correct me if I am wrong).  I agree with checking out Amanda's website Fluid Motion Agility.
Sheila & the Shelties

LeeAnne McAdam

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 04:43:01 AM »
A seminar by any of the NADAC clinicians...definitely.  Everyone should do one or five of those.  But as others have said, in the meantime, you cannot do any better than Amanda Nelson's on-line classes.  The information is presented in very easy to understand lessons and you can work at your own pace.  I would suggest that in addition to the foundation for distance class, you definitely look at her TEAM training class.  What happens in agility starts way before you ever get to the agility field and this class will give you some great activities to get you and your dog in the right frame of mind for future success...besides just being tons of fun! ;D
Lee Anne

Lori Pritchett

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
Taking a seminar offered by NADAC or a NADAC clinician is a great way to learn more.  It would be nice to have a book out there, but I am not aware of any.  (Someone correct me if I am wrong).  I agree with checking out Amanda's website Fluid Motion Agility.

I seem to remember Amanda mentioning something at the Red Bluff camp that someone was making a book of all her training stuff....we all expressed interest in having a copy because it is awesome to have that reference to fall back on.  Any comments Amanda???
Lori

C-ATCH B.E.T. on Me Mooses Are Wild (Moose)
Running L Bel Canto Zaffira (Bella)

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »

I seem to remember Amanda mentioning something at the Red Bluff camp that someone was making a book of all her training stuff....we all expressed interest in having a copy because it is awesome to have that reference to fall back on.  Any comments Amanda???

I don't remember hearing that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  There was probably a lot I did not hear.   :P 

I know some of us have our personal notes.  I've often thought of volunteering to be a ghost-writer for something like that, but it would need NADAC's cooperation (obviously)!  It would be nice to have a NADAC book to refer to, even if it was only on certain topics, like distance training.
Sheila & the Shelties

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 06:22:29 AM »

It would be awesome to have a book like this!  I'd buy one!  It would be even bettwe if it came with a DVD with short segments demonstrating each skill.

I don't remember hearing that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  There was probably a lot I did not hear.   :P 

I know some of us have our personal notes.  I've often thought of volunteering to be a ghost-writer for something like that, but it would need NADAC's cooperation (obviously)!  It would be nice to have a NADAC book to refer to, even if it was only on certain topics, like distance training.
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Amanda Nelson

• Fluid Motion Agility
  • Judge
  • Fluid Motion Agility-For the Athlete in Your Dog!
    • Fluid Motion Agility
Beginning / foundation pathwork training
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
I am working on putting together some booklets covering various topics (directionals, distance, clicker work, etc) they are still a ways off, but we are workin' on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amanda Nelson
Online Classes and Private Lessons available!
--
For the Athlete in Your Dog!
www.fluidmotionagility.com

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »
I am working on putting together some booklets covering various topics (directionals, distance, clicker work, etc) they are still a ways off, but we are workin' on them!

Great news!!  Keep us posted on your progress.  Live your DVDs!
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Lori Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »

HA!  I'm not crazy...okay, maybe I am...but I remembered something!!!  Woooo HOOOOO!!!  8)
Lori

C-ATCH B.E.T. on Me Mooses Are Wild (Moose)
Running L Bel Canto Zaffira (Bella)