Author Topic: VT Virtual Trial 'Event' Restrictions  (Read 1677 times)

Ed Scharringhausen

• Judge
  • Run As One!
    • Run As One Agility
VT Virtual Trial 'Event' Restrictions
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
Are there restrictions or rules governing the scheduling of Virtual Trial events?

Specifically, none allowed or to be submitted within the same week or better yet 2-3 weeks as there are 'Real' Trials within say a 200 or 300 mile radius of the handlers residence? Or even in the same state?

Thank You!

Ed Scharringhausen

Billie Rosen

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: VT Virtual Trial 'Event' Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
Ed, that's a good question.  Our club, Jumping Chollas, is in the process of coming up with our own guidelines, to govern the use of our facilities and equipment in VT's and also with recommended guidelines for all students and members, even when the VT's are done privately (we can't enforce them, just hope people will respect them).  As we were trying to draft our rules, we discovered that different people had somewhat different understanding of the current NADAC rules and guidelines.  So it would be really helpful for the NADAC office to spell out exactly what the time and geographic rules, if any, are.  Thanks.
Billie Rosen, Phoenix, AZ    agilek9s@phopaws.org
MACH 7 Klevír (Border Terr) CDX RE MXS2 MJG2 NAP NJP MXF MFG TQX T2B5 ME CA/NADAC NATCH 30 VERS.NATCH 22/USDAA LAA-GOLD ADCH PDCH-Silver/ NW3
Trukín  (Border Ter) CA,AX,AXJ,XF,SE,NATCH, V-NATCH 2/ AD/ NW3/SCA,SIA,SEA,SBA,SHDN
Kix puppy in training

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Are there restrictions or rules governing the scheduling of Virtual Trial events?

Specifically, none allowed or to be submitted within the same week or better yet 2-3 weeks as there are 'Real' Trials within say a 200 or 300 mile radius of the handlers residence? Or even in the same state?

Thank You!

Whoa, Ed!  There are rules regarding VT runs.  VT runs cannot be offered with 5 days of a sanctioned trial in the area.  No where are there 2-3 week time periods mentioned and in no way is the word "state" mentioned.  You are listing a very wide set of guidelines that are not set by NADAC.  VT can be run if there is at least 5 days either before or after a sanctioned trial.

Also there is no such thing as "Virtual Trial".  VT stands for "Video Taped".  VT is not a trial, it is not sponsored by a club, they have no insurance, no applications, no premiums.  They are not a trial.

We have several areas where clubs do approve with us that VT can be done on Friday before a trial with the club's permission.  Sometimes an individual has a great setup for VT runs on Friday and they offer runs, such as Hoopers, that are not being offered that the sanctioned trial.  That has also worked great in several areas.

We have had clubs with low entries, change to VT runs for the exhibitors rather than cancel the opportunity for the exhibitors to run on a weekend.  Without the expenses of bringing in a judge, those clubs could still break even doing VT runs.

Each area is different in their approach to VT runs.  Some areas totally support it and it is also showing that their entries are increasing, which shows that promoting agility in any way promotes agility for all involved.

And yes, in some areas, if exhibitors do not feel welcome at their local trials, they have chosen to do VT runs instead on the off weekends.  I do believe some open communication between clubs and exhibitors to see what is needed for both sides to be happy would be useful time spent.

We will not be going to a 2-3 time period between VT and sanctioned trials.  We will be staying with the 5 day time period, or shorter if approved by the club having a trial within those 5 days.  An area of 200 miles has been working very well, so we will not be going to a "statewide" area.

If there is a problem in your area, I think some good communication between everyone might be a better solution than to try to change the current VT guidelines.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
Ed, that's a good question.  Our club, Jumping Chollas, is in the process of coming up with our own guidelines, to govern the use of our facilities and equipment in VT's and also with recommended guidelines for all students and members, even when the VT's are done privately (we can't enforce them, just hope people will respect them).  As we were trying to draft our rules, we discovered that different people had somewhat different understanding of the current NADAC rules and guidelines.  So it would be really helpful for the NADAC office to spell out exactly what the time and geographic rules, if any, are.  Thanks.

Jumping Chollas can and does impose some of their own rules to some of the VT runs in the area, only because individuals are using Jumping Chollas equipment and they are video taping the runs on the Jumping Chollas training grounds.

So Jumping Chollas can set their own guidelines for their own equipment being used on their own grounds.

Otherwise, an individual can video tape runs after/before 5 days of a trial.  As you mentioned, respect is a huge part of the whole VT program and we certainly hope that respect is used by anyone doing VT runs.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Greg Battaglia

• Judge
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »
So, regarding the following statement:

"We will not be going to a 2-3 time period between VT and sanctioned trials.  We will be staying with the 5 day time period, or shorter if approved by the club having a trial within those 5 days.  An area of 200 miles has been working very well, so we will not be going to a "statewide" area."

Does that mean that VT runs cannot happen within 5 days of any trial that is scheduled within 200 miles?  Sounds like it does, but I want to be sure.   And is the 200 miles a radius or diameter? 

Thanks,
GregB
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens
the pain of stupidity"

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »

Does that mean that VT runs cannot happen within 5 days of any trial that is scheduled within 200 miles?  Sounds like it does, but I want to be sure.   And is the 200 miles a radius or diameter? 

Thanks,
GregB

Yes, Greg that is correct.  And the distance is the MapQuest distance between to addresses.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:07:04 PM »

Thanks,
GregB

Yes, Greg that is correct.  And the distance is the MapQuest distance between to addresses.

Sharon

I'm confused - which is nothing new!  So, if I want to do a VT run on say a Saturday at my local practice field, I need to check the NADAC calendar to make sure there are no trials within 200 miles of me for that weekend?  Thanks for the clarification.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Amy McGovern

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
I am confused - if someone doesn't show in a particular weekend (e.g. there is a local show here this weekend but we are unable to go), why can't I then run a VT myself later in the week?  I'm not violating any rules of double showing as I'm not showing in the local show (as much as I want to go, I can't this weekend).  Or do you just mean for these rules to be hosting a VT show - e.g. not conflicting with a local show?  If so, I'm not confused.

Thanks!

-Amy and the schnauzers
Amy and the schnauzers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »

I'm confused - which is nothing new!  So, if I want to do a VT run on say a Saturday at my local practice field, I need to check the NADAC calendar to make sure there are no trials within 200 miles of me for that weekend?  Thanks for the clarification.
Linda

That would certainly be the polite and respectful thing to do.  VT is in no way meant to replace any sanctioned trial or ever take entries away from a trial being offered in the area.  So even though your plans don't allow you to travel to a trial that weekend, it also doesn't allow you to stay home and do VT in your yard or practice field either.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »
I am confused - if someone doesn't show in a particular weekend (e.g. there is a local show here this weekend but we are unable to go), why can't I then run a VT myself later in the week?  I'm not violating any rules of double showing as I'm not showing in the local show (as much as I want to go, I can't this weekend).  Or do you just mean for these rules to be hosting a VT show - e.g. not conflicting with a local show?  If so, I'm not confused.

Thanks!

-Amy and the schnauzers

If you are unable to attend a local trial, you are also unable to do VT runs.  There is no such thing as a VT show.  If people could VT any weekend, any time, it would start to affect entries for trials.  And that is never to be a part of VT...... to replace the entering of any possible trials in the area.

I understand if finances or travel time doesn't allow for an entry to a trial, but that also becomes a personal issue that cannot be replaced with VT runs instead of attending a trial.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Amy McGovern

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.
Amy and the schnauzers

ljahans

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • Ozzy, Luc & Milly
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »
One more question on this topic please.  This weekend we are having a local trial and I am supporting the trial as a participant as well as a volunteer.  Our local trials are not offering the hoopers class, but I would very much like to do a VT hoopers prior to the 5 day limitation.  would this be something that could be considered as an exception if the local trials are unable to offer a particular class such as hoopers or the extreme games?

Thanks,

Lee Ann Jahansooz
Lee Ann Jahansooz

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »
One more question on this topic please.  This weekend we are having a local trial and I am supporting the trial as a participant as well as a volunteer.  Our local trials are not offering the hoopers class, but I would very much like to do a VT hoopers prior to the 5 day limitation.  would this be something that could be considered as an exception if the local trials are unable to offer a particular class such as hoopers or the extreme games?

Thanks,

Lee Ann Jahansooz

With the local club's permission, yes.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Ed Scharringhausen

• Judge
  • Run As One!
    • Run As One Agility
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
I was just asking. So not within 200 miles using MapQuest and not less than five days apart from local trials. Thank You!
Ed Scharringhausen