Author Topic: NADAC Bonus Program criteria question  (Read 653 times)

Kathy Phelan

NADAC Bonus Program criteria question
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
Were bonus attempts at trials scheduled between June 17 and Nov 18 judged with the June 17 one minor flow error allowed criteria in all events, or no minor flow error allowed criteria in all events (except Regular) described in the Nov 18 post?
Kathy Phelan
Dusty Boots A'Flying (Dusty)
Dusty Boots Desert Fire (Shaleeh)
McCall, Idaho

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: NADAC Bonus Program criteria question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:17:54 PM »
Were bonus attempts at trials scheduled between June 17 and Nov 18 judged with the June 17 one minor flow error allowed criteria in all events, or no minor flow error allowed criteria in all events (except Regular) described in the Nov 18 post?

We allowed the one flow fault since June, but in reality it made no sense in any class past Regular.

If a dog had a flow fault in Jumpers, Touch N Go, Tunnelers and Weavers, they couldn't make time over 100.  And since a flow fault wasn't allowed in a run under 100, the runs all became a 10 point Q.

That is why we are no longer allowing any faults of any type in any class other than Regular and in Regular only one minor fault is allowed.

I have reviewed over 100 runs that were under 100 run index and had flow faults, as people started getting the idea that bonus runs no longer had to be "in flow" runs. 

Bonus runs are supposed to be flawless and an example of speed, distance, discrimination, directional and always flow between dog and handler.

I have been shocked at the number of "upset" handlers who believe that they should have extra bonus points on runs that have obvious flow faults on the runs.  The past few months of the bonus program has degraded the original concept of absolute beauty from start to finish.

I have seen more jealousy, anger and resentment because of a run being denied or another run being accepted because of the perception of "flow faults" being allowed.

I was the proudest person on earth with each and every one of Lucky's six Purple Achievement Cups.  And I felt honest heartfelt compliments and the honor of honest congratulations from the agility community.

With Busi's Purple Achievements I have been overwhelmed with acts of jealousy, stabs in the back and people whose egos hated the idea that we earned it.  I hear every week about someone else at a trial or a Saturday night get together where competitors make nasty comments about runs or tell people how a run wasn't deserving or the course was too easy.  And each of those people making those remarks are people who have had runs turned down because of out of flow faults.   So many feel that if they don't get credit for a run, then I shouldn't be able to earn any bonuses either, even if mine are totally in flow.

The short time period that we even considered the "out of flow" faults to be accepted has caused more negativity with the bonus program than any decision ever made.  We didn't think it through thoroughly enough to realize that a dog that has flow issues is not ever going to make that over 100 run, so it is a mute point to even consider them.

Many bonuses used to get posted with "minus five faults" indicated, allowing people to believe that it was an acceptable bonus run.  I posted them immediately and didn't have the trial results submitted yet so no run index was known yet.  Most of those "minus five" runs ended up being a no bonus at all because the dog ran under 100 because they did not "flow" during the run.

As of right now, we are accepting one flow fault in Regular only, but on a personal level, I am not convinced that it should be allowed.  If we continue to see the attitude that we have seen in the past six months, then we will return to "perfection only" in all classes, including Regular.  We would allow for one knocked bar (making a 30 point run a 25 or a 20 point run a 15) only because a knocked bar is allowed in Regular Agility for all competitors and a knocked bar does not indicate a lack of flow.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LeeAnne McAdam

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
I am not a bonus handler, nor do I have a dog who would have over 100 DRI...but...I am very interested in the bonus program and I would love to be able to do it so I do try to follow along and keep up with the rules.  Maybe it's because I'm not an active participant, but I know I have a tendency to forget about that 100 DRI part so perhaps that's happened to other people, too. 

I know it's our responsibility to know the rules for things we take part in, or it should be anyhow, but at least for me, it never hurts to be reminded :) !
Lee Anne

Kyle

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
Please, Sharon, I am humbly requesting that the "one flow fault" allowed in regular runs not be changed. I think we can all agree that even with the one flow fault allowed getting a Bonus run is a very difficult and impressive thing. What I hate to think is that a minority of folks who attempt Bonuses are going to take away the small hope for the rest of us in ever achieving a Bonus. Of course, I am assuming that the folks who are bitching are a *small* amount compared to the total Bonus attempters....only because in my life, I have noticed that the Vocal Minority seems to (many times) ruin it for the rest of us.

Maybe it's just where I come from and where I go to trial, but I don't hear what Sharon's been hearing. All the Bonus folks I come in contact with are AWESOME. They are supportive, positive and generous. I seriously doubt that just because my dog and I have a *failure rate of 100%* they are just being kind...no, they respect the program and *all* the folks who make the attempts. I also know how the folks who actually do get Bonuses on a fairly regular basis are treated and I would say it's equal.

So for those Bonus attempters who are having issues I would like to ask you to please stop. It's not helping anyone. For those of you who are having great success at getting Bonuses occasionally - celebrate!!! Quit your bitching. Please do it because there's so many more of us who are struggling to get a clean run *and* would be happy happy happy with just one flow fault. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who are still searching for the light at the end of tunnel....

Sincerely,
Kyle & Bryn

Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »
Just a thought:  If there were also a set of posts for unsuccessful bonus runs, that would certainly help my education on what a bonus run should look like.  Without having walked the course, it is sometimes difficult for me to evaluate handler / dog teamwork and I have essentially put this off until Bella's Open Chances attempts are far more likely to succeed.  I know that sometimes watching a run where things do not go perfect is far more educational to me than the perfect ones.  A handler would have to specify that their submission could be used that way and only if they so specified would it maybe show up in that grouping.  I remember that about the 5th or 6th time handlers made the same mistake (from the bonus line DVD set Amanda did) I was recognizing the handler problem. 
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow