Author Topic: QUESTION: spacing of screws to avoid buckling of NADAC rubber on A-Frame  (Read 1350 times)

tag team

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
I have a new A-Frame in route onto which I will be installing NADAC rubber belting (using screws vs. glue).  The A-frame has 4 evenly spaced, vertical supports running the length of the A-frame panels that the screws can be secured to.   

I don't want to go overboard with # of screws but I also want to avoid any buckling of the rubber belting due to temperature changes.   I recall that being an issue with my dogwalk ramp with screws spaced about 12" apart.

Can anyone tell me how closely spaced the screws should be to avoid buckling of rubber due to temperature changes?   It looks like the A-Frame at NADAC Champs had 4" spaced screws along the perimeter but I could not see if there were also screws in the center of the panels (on the random photos of my dog running over it).

Also the MFG of my A-Frame uses and recommended #10 x 1 1/4  Stainless steel Pan Head square drive screws  (part # 0176172  from Fastenal).   #10 size screws seem quite large for this purpose but maybe the purpose is to have a larger head size???  Any tips on screw size would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dev (Jake and Lil)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:11:02 AM by Dev Sperber, Jake and Lil »

Greg Battaglia

• mdt/Agility Ability LLC
Re: QUESTION: spacing of screws to avoid buckling of NADAC rubber on A-Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »
Dev,
I would definitely NOT use screws on the center of the panels.  They can loosen up and not be noticed, making them a hazard to dogs (they can cut their feet on the screw heads).

As for the perimeter, I'd advise using a screw every 6 inches.  I also use finishing washers to give the screw a smooth, and more finished appearance.

Without glue, even at 6 inches, you are going to get some buckling along the edges, especially if the equipment is subject to temperature changes.

GregB
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens
the pain of stupidity"

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
Yes the Champs equipment is 4" spacing.  We use a pan head self tapping screw.... makes it easy to install.
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

tag team

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »
Thanks for responding Greg and Jeannie!   

What I think you both are saying is that a row of  tightly spaced screws along the perimeter is enough to keep the rubber from buckling and forming bulges or waves in the center of the panels where dogs are actually running.   That certainly would simplify things.. and solve the issue of  loose screws in  areas where dogs feet might come in contact with. 

Greg, What is a finishing washer?  The only thing I can think of is the type of little rounded edged washers I have used with wood screws when securing the tops of wooden crates.

Thanks again!

Dev Sperber

tag team

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
If screws spaced at 4" around the perimeters work well enough for Champs then it should work well enough for me.  If my math is correct,  I'll need about 150 screws.

The screws recommended by the MFG of my A-Frame cost 52 cents a piece (not cheap but then again neither is my new A-frame).   

Do I really need such large diameter screws?  If I do, OK, I'll buy these.  But if #8 sized screws would work just as well, I'd love to know that.. it anyone knows what size screws they used to secure their rubber belting.

#10 x 1 1/4  Stainless steel Pan Head square drive screws  (part # 0176172  from Fastenal).   

Link to Fastenal Screws: "https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0176172"  If anyone cares to see the photo or specs.

Sorry to be so obsessed with screws.  I want my new A-frame to be as good as possible for my dogs to run over.

Dev Sperber (Jake and Lil)

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
Here is a picture of the screw and package for reference.  Keep in mind ours goes directly on aluminum so no wood to go through.
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

Cory Wajda

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
Hi Dev,

I screwed the rubber to the boards on our contacts and did not go through to the metal frame. I think I went 6" along the sides of the contacts and 4" along the top and bottom. For the a-frame I have four vertical rows that are 12" apart at the top and 18" apart at the bottom (trapezoidal a-frame) and just two rows on the dog walk.

Here is a link to the screws that I used:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16122

They call them round washer head or modified truss head screws, which means that they have a washer built into the head of the screw. Since I did not screw into the metal frame, the ones I used are not self drilling - they are just sharp pointed to easily screw into the wood without drilling. They have self drilling screws, too.

These are not stainless steel, but they have a black anodized finish which blends in with the belting and does not rust.

I used 1/2" long screws and I think the boards are 3/8" so I actually snipped the tips off the screws so they weren't sticking out the back.

You might be able to find them at your local hardware store, or if not you can buy 1000 of them online for around $10.

Cory Wajda
Cory Wajda
Sand Lake, NY

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:04:44 AM »
Dev - Margaret used the method and materials that Cory listed below and her A-frame (and dog walk) came out AWESOME!! 
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

tag team

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 06:30:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for the links, photos, and specs.  Drum roll please.....I have made my decision... I'm going with 1/2" self-drilling, non-rusting.. #8 lath screws found at Grainger.  Unfortunately I could not find any Black self drilling screws so I'm going with the Biker Studded look.  :)

Stainless Steel, Drilling Screw,#8-18 x 9/16

Grainger Item: #3LHL4

Your Price: $13.41 (for 100 screws)