Author Topic: EGC 2015  (Read 23564 times)

tag team

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: EGC 2015
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »
Sharon,

When should we expect to start seeing the new style of Barrelers courses (with tunnels)?  Barrelers is being offered at a trial I play to attend later this month and I would LOVE to run my dogs on a course that includes a tunnel or two.

Dev Sperber, Jake and Lil

Kelly Hall

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 03:32:50 PM »
I have been competing in EGC in Australia since it first started. I loved from the beginning and still love it now. Yes, there are some classes that are more difficult than others but I have found that doing EGC has made me a far better handler overall. Learning about handling the path without obstacles and not worrying about going back and fixing things have been the two big winners for me. My dog competes with confidence and he just loves EGC. Extreme chances is definitely the hardest of all the classes but what a thrill when you succeed as I did in champs this year in Elite. I was hoping one day to get an EGC NATCh. I love the sound do tunnels in Barrellers and agree that the course at Elite can be very hard to remember. I also like the sound of barrels in gaters. I know that EGC has many followers here in Australia and know that we will continue to compete in it in whatever format it takes.
Kelly and Samson
Melbourne,
Australia

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »
The reason I haven't offered any EGC classes in Colorado is due to not wanting to make, store and transport the gates. My trailer is already packed with all the regular equipment and I just don't have room for the gates. I'd love to see an alternate idea or classes that just use hoops, barrels and tunnels. I have 3 barrels, but can add more pop up ones easily without taking up too much space.

I've only played x-Hoopers and x-Barrelers and had a blast doing both. I don't know if we have the interest here, but if I set up some VT runs, I could see what people think. Since we don't have any local judges, I'd have to see if I can add one or two of them to a regular trial and see who the brave people are. :)

Lindsey
www.mountaindogsports.com

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 11:33:11 PM »
The reason I haven't offered any EGC classes in Colorado is due to not wanting to make, store and transport the gates. My trailer is already packed with all the regular equipment and I just don't have room for the gates. I'd love to see an alternate idea or classes that just use hoops, barrels and tunnels. I have 3 barrels, but can add more pop up ones easily without taking up too much space.

I've only played x-Hoopers and x-Barrelers and had a blast doing both. I don't know if we have the interest here, but if I set up some VT runs, I could see what people think. Since we don't have any local judges, I'd have to see if I can add one or two of them to a regular trial and see who the brave people are. :)

Lindsey
www.mountaindogsports.com

Good input!

Don't plan on setting up any EGC VT runs as they will be ending this week.  Doing VT for EGC just didn't work and was not consistent with the scoring one would get on a trial weekend.  Due to the scoring inconsistencies, we won't be offering any more EGC VT runs.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

KathieT

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »
I am sorry that VT EGC will not continue.  I had hoped to do some runs when the weather warmed up.  Would it be possible to have runs posted once a month that we could use for practice?

Thanks,
Kathie Till
Kathie
Beulah WY

PeteHudson

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »
 I don't particularly like the gators class but love the use of gates in NADAC which promotes their use for other training applications.   Perhaps some of the storage and cost reservations would be alleviated with a change in obstacle specification.  I have been using a design with a reduced lattice height of 24" and a removable leg for storage.  In order to keep the Obstacle height about the same with a reduced lattice height I added height to the bottom.  Another way to reduce storage space and a weight a little is to use 3/4" PVC - the gate is not as sturdy looking but seems to stay up in heavy wind OK.  The lighter / smaller gates are a little easier to move and work just great for training applications.
Pete

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
I don't particularly like the gators class but love the use of gates in NADAC which promotes their use for other training applications.   Perhaps some of the storage and cost reservations would be alleviated with a change in obstacle specification.  I have been using a design with a reduced lattice height of 24" and a removable leg for storage.  In order to keep the Obstacle height about the same with a reduced lattice height I added height to the bottom.  Another way to reduce storage space and a weight a little is to use 3/4" PVC - the gate is not as sturdy looking but seems to stay up in heavy wind OK.  The lighter / smaller gates are a little easier to move and work just great for training applications.

Good input!!  Do you have a picture of the lighter gates?

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
I wish to thank everyone for their great input both on the forum and privately.  Great input from experienced handlers and new to EGC handlers along with judges from all ends of the experience levels for EGC.

We will be removing Extreme Chances from the list of possible EGC classes on June 1, 2015.  If there are individuals that still want to complete an Extreme Chances title, we will work with you via video possibilities if needed.

We will be doing some beta testing of a different style of course design for Extreme Barrelers and will post here how it is working (or not) in a trial format.

Scoring for EGC will remain the same as it currently is.

We will remove the requirement for a Superior level title in EGC before moving to the next level as of now.

We will be adding an Awards program that contains and highlights the addition of EGC to the awards level.  Awards that include EGC will be a higher ranking award than those without EGC.  For example an Extreme Triple Superior Versatility Award is a higher award than a Triple Superior Versatility Award.  We will be adding new Hall of Fame options for dogs with the addition of EGC with their current awards.

We currently have two dogs with Extreme NATCHes and we will look at what the requirements will be for new Extreme NATCH points requirements.  The two dogs that currently have both Extreme NATCHes and Extreme Versatility NATCHes will have just earned them the harder way!  (since both dogs, Busi and Sinner, currently live with me, both Sara and I can handle that!)

It does appear that Gaters may be leaving also, but we will wait to see what happens with the beta format of Barrelers.  If Gaters leaves, then we will add an EGC combo class consisting of a hoop circle, barrels, and tunnels.  If Gaters stays, then we will not add an EGC combo class and will not change the course design of Barrelers.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
My other opinion is to not make Elite basically just a memorizing game with too many obstacles.... I think you could get some amazing challenges just like in regular NADAC with 20-22 obstacles.

Just my thoughts :)

I have not ever had input from Elite handlers about the difficulty of memorizing the course except in Barrelers.  The Elite handlers haven't seemed to have had any issues in Hoopers, Gaters or Chances.

And since Elite Barrelers is always 17 obstacles long and handlers can't remember the course, I am thinking it has nothing to do with the length of the course that is the problem and it never gets close to that 20-22 long since it is set at 17 for Elite, 14 for Open, 11 for Novice and 8 for Intro.

Length of course hasn't seem to be an issue for the past year and a half since we changed some of the course designs at that time.  Longer courses in Hoopers, Gaters and Chances all flow so well that it never seems to be an issue.   But 17 obstacles in Barrelers seems to be very tough for handlers to remember the course!  That is why we are discussing the changes, not because the course is too long to memorize.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

PeteHudson

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
Attached are photographs of the regulation size gate and a reduced size version.  The support leg is deliberately put an angle for the photo to show that it can easily be removed.  The reduced height gate can easily be a little higher by putting a spacer at the bottom.

I just noticed the tunnel holder and also put a photo of it.  This is from a concept is saw at one of the Cholla's trials where they used these very clever cloth holders that were fastened in the ground.  I don't think this is the place to introduce my questions about this holder but didn't want to take pictures again.

The point is that perhaps Xhoopers would be more acceptable if the gates were lighter and a little easier to store.
Pete

Leanne

• Find what you love, and love what you do.
    • Youtube videos
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:17 PM »
My difficulty with remembering Barrelers courses comes from remembering which side of the barrel to go around. 

I am nearly finished Open with Cody so that's 14 barrels.  BUT that is trying to remember 28 pieces of info.... 14 barrels in the right order + 14 sides of barrels.

Other than u shaped tunnels, all other NADAC obstacles have 1 obvious direction for the path.
But in Barrelers either side of each and every Barrel could be correct. :o :-\ ???

Leanne
Kent Island, MD

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »
My difficulty with remembering Barrelers courses comes from remembering which side of the barrel to go around. 

I am nearly finished Open with Cody so that's 14 barrels.  BUT that is trying to remember 28 pieces of info.... 14 barrels in the right order + 14 sides of barrels.

Other than u shaped tunnels, all other NADAC obstacles have 1 obvious direction for the path.
But in Barrelers either side of each and every Barrel could be correct. :o :-\ ???

I agree!   It isn't about the length of the course that one has to memorize, it is the directionals needed!  Makes us feel like mental idiots, it least it does for me sometimes!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Leanne

• Youtube videos
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
I finally figured out that it was easier to remember the course by standing outside of it and seeing the path rather than the obstacles. 

If I tried to learn it when standing in the middle I would get all turned around.

Now if only Cody had the distance skills and could run it with me staying on the outside it would be much better ( for me).  He just wasn't raised on barrels like my baby Ketch was.

Course walking time needs to be longer for Barrelers , if it stays the way it is.
Leanne
Kent Island, MD

Leanne

• Youtube videos
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
Would clipping number cone covers (like those in the attached picture. )to the outside of the barrels be permissible?

It would be even better if they were numbered with :
1 being red
2 orange
3 yellow
4 green
5 blue
6 purple

My teacher brain would remember this much better.  Might help the judges too!

Might even save time on the walkthroughs since half my time is spent trying to find the number cones!

Leanne
Kent Island, MD

Billie Rosen

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »
Sharon, you are absolutely correct.  I don't have trouble remembering any of the other NADAC courses, except Xtreme Barrelers, and I have NQ'ed more times than I care to remember because I didn't remember the XBR course.

Billie Rosen, Phoenix, AZ    agilek9s@phopaws.org
MACH 7 Klevír (Border Terr) CDX RE MXS2 MJG2 NAP NJP MXF MFG TQX T2B5 ME CA/NADAC NATCH 30 VERS.NATCH 22/USDAA LAA-GOLD ADCH PDCH-Silver/ NW3
Trukín  (Border Ter) CA,AX,AXJ,XF,SE,NATCH, V-NATCH 2/ AD/ NW3/SCA,SIA,SEA,SBA,SHDN
Kix puppy in training