Author Topic: champs 2015  (Read 824 times)

kbriefel

champs 2015
« on: December 30, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
I haven't been to Champs and am thinking about going in 2015 before Maya is too old.  I've spoken with many friends who have been often yet it seems like the format changes enough each year and at each venue that I'm still not sure whether it would be a positive experience for my NATCH 7 goldendoodle.  She doesn't love running in heat, likes to sleep at night, and doesn't do weavers anymore as multiple sets of 12 on a course don't do her back any good.  Long courses don't bother us and in fact she does better once she gets moving.

Any idea yet how a typical day would flow in Springfield?  I'd like the experience but don't want to do it to the detriment of my dog.

Thanks,

Ken Briefel and Maya

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
Re: champs 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »
I can only speak from my limited - 1 year - experience.  I went to Champs in 2013 so I can speak to how we did in Springfield.  I was also concerned about the heat because he normally slows down once it gets over 60 degrees, and he isn't a great lover of weaving either.  (In fact he has officially retired from Weavers (the class) but obviously still does weaves in Regular and Chances.)

As for the heat - it didn't bother him at all.  It wasn't "hot", but warmer than he usually runs well.  And he ran GREAT. 

As for weaving - yes, there were weaves in some of the courses (not in all because some of the courses were more specific to obstacles like jumps or tunnels, etc.)  Seems there was one run that had more weaves than "normal" - but that was only one run.

There are two key things that made Champs so much fun and successful for my dog.   1.  There are only two runs a day, so he didn't get worn out and was really eager to go play agility.  2.  I can't speak for everyone, but lots of people agree with me - the dogs just KNOW that they are someplace special and they rise to the occasion.  My boy ran as fast and happy as he ever has and LOVED it at Champs.  That of course meant I loved it to.  Did we compete for any top prizes?  No, but we did really well for us, and even placed in the top 8 in one run and earned a placement ribbon.  Not something I would have EVER expected.

So that's just my perspective but I would encourage you to give it a go. Your dog will love you for it.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

quamashbcs@yahoo.com

• Agility Junky
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
I was hesitant to go to Champs in 2013 as I did not think my 10 year old BC would be competitive. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and we even got a couple of placement ribbons (7th and 8th) which was beyond my wildest dreams. Two runs a day is not onerous, and the groups were pretty evenly spread so no one was competing against more than 20 other dogs.

Above all that, the atmosphere is terrific and I met a lot of old friends I had not seen for years, and made many new ones, including long time FB friends I had never met in person. The raffles and vendors are awesome, and the video service is also really good.

We are racking up Qs towards 2015 Champs and I hope that my now 12 yo dog is still active and healthy in September....
Frances Hannan
NATCH2 V-NATCH Wednesday TN-E-600
FitzRoy IAC S-ICC S-IJC TN-E WV-I O-HP-I
Jessica & Blaze (angels)

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »
Ken - been 2x in Springfield  -

I can tell you that:

The dogs have A LOT of down time to rest between events and sometimes you have many hours after you walk the course before you get to run it

Stalls are great so you and your dog can have some quiet space -however  if Maya stresses when you are not with her - it might not be the best for you to go b/c you are going to want to watch and you can't take her ring side - Kiva does fine in her stall in her crate and I believe she rests when I am not in there.

the host hotel is 5 minutes away so if you wanted to go back and rest yourself you can

I don't recall running VERY late at night - i think last time my latest run was 7ish?? but I don't really remember - I generally stayed to watch the stakes classes so I ended up being there later -

It was not overly hot in the stalls - I did bring fans though and we used them in the stall - there was one or two days that it was pretty humid outside - but the barns were not too bad

plan to eat on site the food vendor is very good

each course has a different focus - so yes one of the courses had i think 2 sets of 12 poles - but other courses focused on other things -

I have done the team events and I would not do those again - I like to take that time to spend time with Kiva and get some lunch or a nap in ...

This IS a Championship event so you have to be prepared to be tested and things  will be be harder and your day more strenuous -  just being honest here -  I know of a couple of people who did not enjoy the experience for whatever reasons but the majority of people have a fun time -

People go for a variety of reasons - for the experience - to win - and everything in between - just make sure that if you go - you make the most of the experience and have a fun time b.c after all it's just a freakin' game  8)

PS: I think you and Maya are a great team and should go at least once if you feel it would be fun for you BOTH -
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

kbriefel

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:39:06 AM »
Thanks All.  Still considering but did make hotel reservations this morning.

Maureen,the separation in the stalls is a consideration.  She'd live but I don't think she loves it which is one reason I'm not doing State College.  Then again, she does get jazzed from rest and separation and when she wants to run, then it's a blast.  I'm not worried about the courses.  Either we are clean or we aren't although when she runs hard it's way easier than when I have to pull her.  I'd scratch if it came to that though.  I appreciate the input.  Will keep an eye on how she is running as the year moves on.

Ken