Author Topic: Distance Handling Demos on International Courses  (Read 1618 times)

tag team

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Distance Handling Demos on International Courses
« on: January 07, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »
I stumbled upon this video of distance handlers in the UK and Europe which shows that distance is not just for NADAC (no surprise).

Wish it included audio from the runs.. but it is still fun to see distance being used on international style courses.

LINK copied in case first one doesn't show up: ""

Dev Sperber

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
Re: Distance Handling Demos on International Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
just watched the video -

first off - Amanda had the NICEST handling of all the clips :)  and Try was running most beautifully compared to the other dogs that IMO were jumping too high (some) and looked "non-flowy" in their jumping because of it ...it looked painful for some of them ...

second - I wonder if Amanda knows her video was used for this and if it was copyrighted ??

it was a cute video
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »
I stumbled upon this video of distance handlers in the UK and Europe which shows that distance is not just for NADAC (no surprise).

Wish it included audio from the runs.. but it is still fun to see distance being used on international style courses.

LINK copied in case first one doesn't show up: ""

Dev Sperber

And evidently not just handlers in the UK and Europe since it starts out with Amanda Nelson at NADAC champs  ;D
Some interesting runs to watch for sure.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Rebecca Kriz

• portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »
just watched the video -

first off - Amanda had the NICEST handling of all the clips :)  and Try was running most beautifully compared to the other dogs that IMO were jumping too high (some) and looked "non-flowy" in their jumping because of it ...it looked painful for some of them ...

second - I wonder if Amanda knows her video was used for this and if it was copyrighted ??

it was a cute video

Sounded to me like the woman who made the video asked the handlers if she could use their videos.  She was making a proposal to Crufts to have a distance demo there.  iirc, it sadly wasn't approved.

On your jumping point, I am so thankful we have so many height options in the US.  They don't have nearly as many choices in the UK or Europe.
Rebecca, Truly & Mud

Lynn in VT

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:36:25 AM »
It's nice to see demonstrations of international handling that show something other than the younger, slimmer, and faster handlers, and instead see handlers who have worked out ways to work with their dogs with the distance they need in order to play the game.

I do wonder, though, how successful they are with most of the courses I've seen recently where there are at least 3 "back-side" jumps (whatever they're called) in a course, which seems have gained popularity in the US also.  I saw only one of those in this video, and that was at the 2nd jump on the course so the handler could lead out to handle it (and handled it well). 

I do know there are some (non-NADAC) handlers in the US who have, as far back as I can remember, handled their dogs at a distance, either because they could not keep up with their dogs or because they were using a motorized unit for mobility.  I was (an am) always amazed by their runs -- because, as the narrator says in the video, it is clear that they have solid, wonderful teamwork all the way through.

I do agree with Maureen that the video of Amanda was by far the most beautiful to watch.

Lynn
Lynn in VT
& Mia & Zodi & Redi

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
Yes, Amanda makes it look so easy and the beauty of a dog and handler being tested for teamwork and not focusing on the height the dog jumps definitely makes for beautiful runs!

It is sad to see the height that some of the dogs have to jump in other countries....... although giving them more airtime over a higher jump does help to give the handler more time for cues!  I could use that extra time occasionally!  Jumping as low as possible does tend to put more pressure on the handler for perfect timing!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Tikvah01es

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
Handler + timing= fun!  I really like having to push my timing ticket.  What a rush when it comes together!  Also by jumping lower our dogs will stay healthier and last longer.  Sad that other countries don't get that. To watch dogs start to break down by age 7 is very disheartening.
Rachelle Jensen

Amanda Nelson

• Fluid Motion Agility
  • Judge
  • Fluid Motion Agility-For the Athlete in Your Dog!
    • Fluid Motion Agility
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »
I was asked if it was okay to use my video of Try and I. She was making a proposal to Crufts to do a distance demo with myself and other distance handlers around the world. Sadly, it was not accepted, but a pretty cool video did come out of it! :-)

Amanda
Amanda Nelson
Online Classes and Private Lessons available!
--
For the Athlete in Your Dog!
www.fluidmotionagility.com

Rebecca Kriz

• portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »
I was asked if it was okay to use my video of Try and I. She was making a proposal to Crufts to do a distance demo with myself and other distance handlers around the world. Sadly, it was not accepted, but a pretty cool video did come out of it! :-)

Amanda

Wow, I didn't realize she wanted it to be an international showcase.  That would have been cool!  (I know that international competitors are invited to the 'normal' agility at Crufts.)  Too bad it didn't go through. 
Rebecca, Truly & Mud