Author Topic: Where would you choose to live?  (Read 1338 times)

patty.abel

Where would you choose to live?
« on: March 07, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »
Ok, this has been a really LONG winter and I've given over to daydreaming about the "perfect" area to live to enjoy NADAC agility and outdoor  fitness pass times like road biking, hiking. Eastern US.... do you live in an awesome town? Time to brag.  Thanks!!!

Amber Fountain

Re: Where would you choose to live?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
This is how I feel after a long Texas summer. I'm interested to read the responses, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amber, Braddock, and Magic
Round Rock, TX

Vicki Storrs

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:10:43 PM »
Though we didn't move as often as a lot of military families, my husband's 29 years in the Navy did get us to a variety of places...Florida, Texas, WA state (we were stationed in Western WA, but my husband grew up in Spokane and we met, pre-Navy, in Couer d'Alene, ID), Rhode Island, central CA (I'm from N CA), Northern and Southern VA, and Northern Nevada.  And now we're back in NW VA.  I enjoyed seeing the country and tried to find the positive in every location, but we both still pine for WA state, still have a house on Whidbey Island where we hope to return to eventually, and I have Oak Harbor, WA, on my iPhone's weather screen.  With our winter here having been quite cold lately--wind chill temps dipping below zero-- I like to look at the moderate WA temps (highs in the 50s, lows in the 40s, day after day) and dream about moving "home."  That's my favorite place!  When last we lived there, though, I didn't really do agility, so am not sure what instruction will be available and if it will be harder to get to trials there, but I WOULD be a LOT closer to Sharon, so may be able to get to her clinics on occasion!
Vicki Storrs
Vicki Storrs

Karen Echternacht

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »
Knoxville, TN.  Mountains, lakes, streams, hiking, all within minutes.  Interstate 75 and 40 intersect here so you can get anywhere out of town very quickly.  NADAC trials every month, often several to choose from each month, within a 4 hour drive.  Neighbors look out for each other, we hold doors for each other, and we say please and thank you with a smile.  Can't beat it!

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:41:43 AM »
Knoxville, TN.  Mountains, lakes, streams, hiking, all within minutes.  Interstate 75 and 40 intersect here so you can get anywhere out of town very quickly.  NADAC trials every month, often several to choose from each month, within a 4 hour drive.  Neighbors look out for each other, we hold doors for each other, and we say please and thank you with a smile.  Can't beat it!
Great job, Karen!!  Are you an actual, or adjunct, member of the Chamber of Commerce??!!??!! ;D
Richard Wolfe
Rumor and Raven
Sparkle HOF and Rowdy, Gold Achievement Cup waiting at the Bridge

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »
We landed in Huntsville AL 40-something years ago on our way back west to Texas.  Not enough sunshine the year we lived near Knoxville.  To folks from the Texas plains, the ridges with trees and the cloud cover just over them was a lot like living indoors.  Any weekend with sun, we got burned since it felt like we needed to outside.

Huntsville has trees, hills if you want them, enough water, and 4, yes 4 distinct seasons per year.  Not enough NADAC trials since I don't make the ones north and east of Knoxville.  Do remember our humidity can be high if you currently live in the west.  We loved to travel and see the west, but it just always feels better to get back where there is humidity in the air <grin>.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Heidi Konesko

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
I LOVE where I live, in southwest New Hampshire!  Yes we get plenty of snow and have plenty of cold weather, and bugs, and humidity.  I'm sure you all think I'm crazy!  But I guess that forces me to take a break and do different things at different times of year.  It's beautiful and peaceful up here.  As for NADAC trials, this year there are 18 trials within a 2.5 hour drive from me. 
-Heidi in snowy peaceful NH
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

MoabDiane

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »
Right where I am:  Moab, UT.
The good:  good weather about 95% of the time, little rain or snow, low humidity (hiking in a thin long-sleeved shirt at 8 a.m. today), plenty of great hikes and mountain biking in fantastic scenery, two National Parks, one state park, and thousands of square miles of public land;  x-c skiing or snowshoeing within 30 minute drive of town, dinosaur tracks and boneyards, rivers to boat, clean air most of the time, no fleas or ticks worth mentioning (OK, maybe 1 a year!), small town atmosphere (city pop. about 6000; county is closer to 9000) with lots of good "town" things (decent restaurants, shops for most of what one needs, 3-plex movie theater for those so inclined, other cultural events - like the Banff Film Festival this week, multi-day Moab Music Festival [mostly classical] and Moab Folk Festival; lots and lots of special events - foot races, mountain bike events, Jeep Safari (ugh), etc.).  University extension, Arts and Rec Center with lots of classes, two well-outfitted gyms and classes, and now two veterinarians.  Two hours to Grand Junction, pop. about 60,000.

The bad:  It is a long long way to NADAC trials (or any others, for that matter) - usually 7-8 hr in the RV, except for Vision Agility - a mere 3 hours.  Thank doG for fun-raisers coming this year! 

The ugly:  As I used to tell people I did NOT want to come here.....summers are hot; fall - it rains and floods a lot; winters are cold and sometimes snowy; spring - the wind blows and lots of sand gets blown around.  Most jobs are in the service industry and don't pay superb wages.  Mostly Republican in political leanings, though that is changing somewhat.

Love it here!
diane

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:49:33 AM »
Like Diane, right where I am....................Suffield Township, just south of Kent State University in northeast Ohio.

The good.......................ALL 4 seasons with all of their nuances.........................many state parks, a National park, many county and metropolitan parks......................almost all of which are dog-friendly......................lots of places to hike, bike, swim, ski (water & snow).....................all types of amateur sports leagues..................professional sports entertainment..........................LOTS of cultural "stuff" (museums, live theatre, concerts, film, etc.)..........................veterinary and human medical care facilities that are among the best in the nation............................good food and good shopping; and NOT at "malls"; but a local specialty shops featuring local artisans, chefs and farmers..................................

The bad...........................only one tiny NADAC club in northwestern Ohio (3 hrs.), some NADAC in western NY (4 hrs.) and some in northwestern MD (5 hrs.)..........................

The ugly...........................our township government is as corrupt as any in the country......................most jobs are service jobs; but the IT industry is recovering...................very little manufacturing; but the demand for machinists is slowly increasing as manufacturing recovers.  The health care industry is, for the most part, strong.  Once you get away from most of the universities and 5-10 miles away from the bigger, aging cities (Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown)........................it's still mostly rural, which around here, is a polite way of saying "pretty red under the collar" and seemingly too many extreme right-wing conservatives, many of them, down-right racist..................................which is REALLY UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that my wife and I tend to be "lone wolves" help us survive, since we are liberals. <G>  The GOOD in the area far outweighs the bad and the ugly.  The vast majority of folks are decent enough...............as long as politics and religion isn't a subject of discussion.

IF we had the financial where-with-all, we would move to Cape Cod in less-than-a-heartbeat......................somewhere on the "outer arm" between Orleans and Provincetown.............................we'd LOVE to live in a lighthouse, if one ever was sold by the government, which they do once-in-a-while.................................and soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for the dogs to do between the beaches and hiking trails.................................and there is NADAC agility on the MA "mainland".............................

Truth be known, we could be happy "wherever".........................like our dogs, we too, are adaptable.   It doesn't take a lot to make us happy...........................true, we LOVE the changes each season brings, so "up nort'" would be much preferred to anywhere in the south.............................a little plot of land for a very small vegetable garden and a few agility obstacles for "play time" for our dogs and a little home............................................where we could pursue our varied interests...........................

No area is all good...........................they all have their bad and ugly parts, too........................some are easily visible, some are the not-so-easily seen "underbellies"........................

The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence...............................until you're on the other side! <G>

Al, Barb, Pelli & Katie
Suffield Township, Ohio
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

patty.abel

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:44:49 AM »
Wow, lots of interesting input! Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I guess I'm spoiled to have the opportunity to drive less than three hours to five NADAC hosting venues(i need to stop whining!!!).  Shenandoah Valley is beautiful. Highway access to all major cities.