Author Topic: Retiring courses  (Read 1368 times)

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
Retiring courses
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »
Is there a standard policy for how long a set of courses is used prior to being retired?  Just curious because this past weekend a set was used up in Wrenshall, MN that was previously ran in La Crosse, WI in late January and in both Davenport, IA and Burnsville, MN at the New Years trials.

Maybe it is a curse that I have such a penchant for retaining agility courses?

My personal preference would be to not re-run entire sets of courses from one trial to the next.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: Retiring courses
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
Every agility area is split into "zones" so if you cross into a different zone, then you can certainly see a set of courses again.

So you could cross into a different state and redo a set of courses.  Or sometimes courses get such great reviews that judges want a chance to set them again and request that they not be retired yet.

Every has their own personal preferences and I too, probably don't want to rerun a set of courses, but still find very fun things to do if I see a set a second time!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

CheriMo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »
So that sounds like a "no" to me. Courses don't have an expiration date.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
So that sounds like a "no" to me. Courses don't have an expiration date.

No, there is no official "expiration date"......... most courses are done within a month.  And some live on for a year!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Perhaps the definition of "zone" could be looked at?  It is quite common for several people in this region to attend trials in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois.  Last year I attended trials that were "re-runs" of previous trials no fewer than four times.  It was humorous at first, but it got a bit old after a while.

I am well aware that not everyone remembers courses to the extent that I do.  Some people that I know were at trials where we previously ran this set of courses admit to being oblivious to having run them before.

I was not in Wrenshall, but for some of the people attending it was, indeed, their third time seeing that set of courses.  Had I attended, I would not have been pleased.   I understand it would be quite an undertaking, but I do wish this sort of thing would be tracked to avoid having the same group of exhibitors seeing the same set of courses multiple times.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »
Perhaps the definition of "zone" could be looked at?  It is quite common for several people in this region to attend trials in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois.  Last year I attended trials that were "re-runs" of previous trials no fewer than four times.  It was humorous at first, but it got a bit old after a while.

I am well aware that not everyone remembers courses to the extent that I do.  Some people that I know were at trials where we previously ran this set of courses admit to being oblivious to having run them before.

I was not in Wrenshall, but for some of the people attending it was, indeed, their third time seeing that set of courses.  Had I attended, I would not have been pleased.   I understand it would be quite an undertaking, but I do wish this sort of thing would be tracked to avoid having the same group of exhibitors seeing the same set of courses multiple times.

I will redo the midwest zones so you don't see any more repeats.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
Hmm .... I was at Burnsville, La Crosse and Wrenshall and didn't remember the courses from one trial to the next.

I think because NADAC doesn't use a grid system to set courses they are never 100% duplicated.  The same thing happened years ago when judges designed their own courses because they were allowed to use them in different areas.  Even with the same judge and the same course the course builders were different which meant the course was never set exactly the same.  In my opinion even a minor change in an angle can create a different challenge.

There are also VERY FEW people who travel that far to trials anymore. 

I guess I saw the same course 3 different times; didn't notice; didn't bother me.

Gina Pizzo
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »
Hmm .... I was at Burnsville, La Crosse and Wrenshall and didn't remember the courses from one trial to the next.

I think because NADAC doesn't use a grid system to set courses they are never 100% duplicated.  The same thing happened years ago when judges designed their own courses because they were allowed to use them in different areas.  Even with the same judge and the same course the course builders were different which meant the course was never set exactly the same.  In my opinion even a minor change in an angle can create a different challenge.

There are also VERY FEW people who travel that far to trials anymore. 

I guess I saw the same course 3 different times; didn't notice; didn't bother me.

Gina Pizzo

So true, Gina.  They can never be set "identically" from place to place. 

And I think you pup runs so fast, you don't get a chance to see anything as you fly by!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Shari Shelties

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
I actually don't mind seeing the same course again.  I mean, who doesn't want another crack at that Chances course that you blew by not cueing the turn 0.1sec sooner.   ;)

Gina's right- besides the oh-so-slightly different tweaking, a course might look the same but the footing can cause the dog's movement to be very different.  (I know I have to calculate my cues differently on turf than dirt or grass.)  And, the physical equipment, lighting, weather, temperature, etc. may be different, causing more variables.  Thus, the dog may run it differently.

But I kinda agree with Karissa, 3X in one geographic region within a few months probably is more than needed for a repeat.  Or a threepeat!
Shari Vespested
NATCH-8, Versatility NATCH-5, "Sunny
NATCH-3, Versatility NATCH-2, "Zippy"
"Minit" Elite Versatility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »

But I kinda agree with Karissa, 3X in one geographic region within a few months probably is more than needed for a repeat.  Or a threepeat!

I have redone the zones.... so if you run in three different states over a 6 month period, you won't be seeing any repeats!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility