Author Topic: Innovation in Jumper's Trial Courses  (Read 3119 times)

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
Re: Innovation in Jumper's Trial Courses
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:51 AM »
I don't see as adding a side change making it "unfun" or "unhappy" rather it makes the jump to novice not quite so large.   I disagree that the courses get harder bit by bit (which I assume you mean level by level)- especially for the special skills classes like Touch N Go- since the Novice course is the same as the Elite course (with different yps for qualifying) that jump can be huge for an Intro dog who has seen nothing but a "U" Touch N Go course.    If the dog has only seen "U" Intro courses going to a E/O/N Touch N Go that has side changes, discriminations etc can be really hard and demotivating.  Why not have one side change in Intro so the handler/dog get experience with it.   

I agree that an "S" shape gives you side changes- but a "U" really does not and for Touch N go and Regular what I have seen almost exclusively is a "u".

What is wrong with asking for something more than a "U"?   I believe it was mentioned that we see Intro appropriate challenges in the other courses (jumpers, tunnelers etc) what is wrong with wanting to see them in Regular and Touch N Go?   

Mary
Mary P.

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 05:39:10 AM »
I respectfully disagree -

I think adding a LITTLE variety is also fun and relatively simple as well.

Just because we want some variety does not mean the team is ready for novice. I can train all I want and do that same "U" all I want - but that does not mean my dog will learn to pay attention and use her brain to execute a turn / side change with the distraction of a trial atmosphere (which I'm sorry you just can't replicate outside of a trial)

Just about any dog can complete a "U" through muscle memory without having to think about it after having done it in this atmosphere a few times. There is no thinking dog there - just a reacting dog.

Also - Intro is not just for new handlers - it is also for baby dogs who need to learn to focus and adding a twist here and there (ONE pinwheel or ONE side change)  instead of the same thing over and over and over does not diminish the value of the Intro level. All the other intro events have these -

My original point - which Sharon agreed with BTW - was that TNG and REG seem to always be the EXACT same course and maybe they could differ some.
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 06:05:53 AM »
I totally agree with Kyle!!  I want my baby dog to do a few straight forward obstacles in a ring environment and have fun.  The few Intro courses we have run so far have been such fun and are really building confidence in the dog.  He is also learning it is ok to run in the ring.  We like little by little!!!!

Sara Langston
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

Lynn in VT

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 07:38:04 AM »

I say keep it simple!!! Keep it fun!! Keep it a good *introduction* to the sport...that first "handshake" with agility.  ;D

-Kyle

I want to say that each point in Kyle's post about Intro courses said exactly what I was thinking -- and I appreciated her expressing it all so well!

If Intro courses are elaborated with specific challenges that I would not yet ask of my dog in a trial setting, I could try to "do a loop" around or past a challenge that she is not ready for -- but then I might as well do that in a Novice course. 

Although I am speaking about MY needs for MY dog's experience, I believe I am speaking for a number of dogs and handlers out there who would very well benefit from opportunities to run simple Intro courses as they were originally envisioned and described.

Lynn
& Mia, Zodi, and Redi

Lynn in VT
& Mia & Zodi & Redi

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
Here's the thing- we are not talking about the whole Intro program because most of the classes have perfectly appropriate challenges.   This was brought up in relation to just two of the classes that are viturally identical ALL OF THE TIME and I don't think a side change or the like will "ruin" the purpose of the program and make it "unfun". I guess I must view Intro differently than many people.   I use Intro to get my dog ready for Novice and would like to see challenges (on a smaller scale) that we will see when we enter Novice- isn't that one of the purposes of Intro?   If just doing the obstacles were the challenge I wouldn't have my dog in the ring as we wouldn't be trial ready.  Staying focused for a "U" is not the same as staying focused/connected for a turn or side change which I think are appropriate Intro Challenges.  Especially if three of the courses are exactly the same which is what I have been seeing with two Regular and one Touch N Go in the same day- all "U"s usually back to back because of course building.   

It is interesting that people keep saying (some of who have admittedly not run Intro) "keep the simple courses, that is what makes Intro fun"- understanding that fun is all relative I don't disagree that we wouldn't want them too complex however ONE side change would not turn an Intro course into an Elite.  The Intro Jumpers and Intro tunnelers I have seen have been nicely challenging for Intro with side changes, boxes and serpentines- why can't Regular and Touch N Go have the same challenges?   I stated (and am stating again)  the only courses that seem to be a U are Intro Regular and Touch N Go.   Keep Regular as a "U" that's fine- just if one is a "U" can the other have something more so the baby dog is not running essentially the same course twice or three times.

As an aside I also use Intro Regular on my experienced dog to practice distance so I am a multi use Intro person.

m
Mary P.

quamashbcs@yahoo.com

• Agility Junky
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
As I said in my first reply it would be nice to have a mixture of one or two really simple Intro courses and one or two with a twist. Just change it up a bit as to which type of course have challenges from week to week/month to month.

S's and Serpentines are cool....

Frances
Frances Hannan
NATCH2 V-NATCH Wednesday TN-E-600
FitzRoy IAC S-ICC S-IJC TN-E WV-I O-HP-I
Jessica & Blaze (angels)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
I think we have some great input coming in and I appreciate hearing the many different perspectives.  We will take a look at the courses and try to implement some of the great ideas.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility