Author Topic: Thoughts as we near our NATCH...after 8 years in the game  (Read 2722 times)

Re: Thoughts as we near our NATCH...after 8 years in the game
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »
I believe it took Lily and I 5.5 years to get our NATCH.  At one point, I actually felt I should retire her because she just didn't seem to be having fun.  She was stressed at trials all the time.  She absolutely would do the courses because she did them for me.  However, many times she would simply trot through the courses and you simply can't do that and Q in jumpers.  I then changed some things.  I changed MY attitude, I changed my training style, I changed how we crate at trials and most importantly, I changed my expectations.  I no longer really had a NATCH as a goal, but simply to get her to have fun again.  She went a year between elite jumpers Q's.  That 2nd Q felt so good and she actually was "moving" and had a smile on her face again.  We got our NATCH in November of last year and I celebrated like crazy, as did all of my friends.   
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

BetsieCorwin

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Hi Amber-
I love hearing about your journey with Braddock.  I feel like we know each other even though we haven't met in person from our connection on the Performance Schnauzer Yahoo list.  I started doing agility classes with Sophie when she was a year old "just for fun" and never considered actually competing.  Snickers came to me as a foster who was just going to be with me 2 weeks until he got adopted. That was 10 years ago.  Sophie is now 14 1/2 and Snickers 12 or 13.  Never quite made it for a NATCH but have had tons of fun and learned so much on our agility adventure.  Both dogs taught me a lot.  Just recently both had a blast doing a couple of Intro runs.  Dazzle is my 3rd agility dog and I've had to learn a lot of new ways to work with a dog with a completely different personality and different skills.  I can see the light of the tunnel for a NATCH with Dazzle sometime later this year if the creek don't rise and the stars are all aligned, and I do my job as her partner properly.

So, it's been at least 10 years for me, plus it took a total of 3 dogs before I could see the glimmer of a NATCH in our future. 

Keep enjoying the journey.

Betsie and the 3 Pack

Betsie Corwin
Oakdale, CA

Deni

• Judge
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »
Good luck and Congratulations on nearing this milestone.  It's very exciting and such a great accomplishment.

Took me and my first agility dog over 7 years to earn our first and his only NATCH.  He was always a kamikaze boy, with no self preservation.  I had never even heard of agility when we stumbled into it together, but we both got hooked on the sport pretty quick.  We came to NADAC, because he's a big guy and I didn't like the sounds he made when jumping (landing) with the higher jump heights in the other venues.  I loved that he could do Skilled and jump 16" even when it wasn't popular.  I enjoyed each achievement, but more than that I just really loved being able to play with my boy and experience so many new adventures with him.  We had our challenges, but he always ran his heart out on every course.  He's going on 13 now and he still loves to do an occasional Intro EGC or Tunnelers course.  He struts his stuff and gets so excited by the cheers of the crowd, it's just done at a much slower pace these days.   

I always said if I had started agility with my girl I would have given up on him right off, but that's really not true because he makes me smile every day... 

Enjoy every moment!

Denise

Amber Fountain

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 05:58:46 AM »

I believe it took Lily and I 5.5 years to get our NATCH.  At one point, I actually felt I should retire her because she just didn't seem to be having fun.  She was stressed at trials all the time.  She absolutely would do the courses because she did them for me.  However, many times she would simply trot through the courses and you simply can't do that and Q in jumpers.  I then changed some things.  I changed MY attitude, I changed my training style, I changed how we crate at trials and most importantly, I changed my expectations.  I no longer really had a NATCH as a goal, but simply to get her to have fun again.  She went a year between elite jumpers Q's.  That 2nd Q felt so good and she actually was "moving" and had a smile on her face again.  We got our NATCH in November of last year and I celebrated like crazy, as did all of my friends.

Isn't it something when we realize that it's the human part of the team that needs to adjust? I felt so bad last Fall when I realized that I was holding Braddock back. But the important thing is that we recognize that what we are doing, and that we make those adjustments. I'm so glad you didn't give up, and that you and Lily are having fun!

Amber, Braddock, and Magic
Round Rock, TX
Round Rock, TX

Amber Fountain

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 06:03:28 AM »

Hi Amber-
I love hearing about your journey with Braddock.  I feel like we know each other even though we haven't met in person from our connection on the Performance Schnauzer Yahoo list.  I started doing agility classes with Sophie when she was a year old "just for fun" and never considered actually competing.  Snickers came to me as a foster who was just going to be with me 2 weeks until he got adopted. That was 10 years ago.  Sophie is now 14 1/2 and Snickers 12 or 13.  Never quite made it for a NATCH but have had tons of fun and learned so much on our agility adventure.  Both dogs taught me a lot.  Just recently both had a blast doing a couple of Intro runs.  Dazzle is my 3rd agility dog and I've had to learn a lot of new ways to work with a dog with a completely different personality and different skills.  I can see the light of the tunnel for a NATCH with Dazzle sometime later this year if the creek don't rise and the stars are all aligned, and I do my job as her partner properly.

So, it's been at least 10 years for me, plus it took a total of 3 dogs before I could see the glimmer of a NATCH in our future. 

Keep enjoying the journey.

Betsie and the 3 Pack

Hey, Betsie! I was thinking that I hadn't updated the Performance Schnauzer group on our progress. I know it's down thing we've all talked about at different times. It's amazing how you can have multiple dogs of the same breed, yet they have totally different styles! I know you'll be so excited to get your NATCH with Dazzle, but it definitely doesn't take away from the fun you've had with Sophie and Snickers! It's funny that when I got Magic 5 years ago, I assumed he'd be my NATCH dog, since I didn't think Braddock and I would make it. He's teaching me a lot, but poor little guy probably doesn't have a NATCH in his future. However, if I take him lure coursing this weekend, he'll be the happiest dog on Earth!

Round Rock, TX
Round Rock, TX

RobertStewart

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Amber: what a great post!
Robert Stewart

NATCH-12, V-NATCH-10, AA-NATCH, MACH-2, PACH, ADCH/LAA, Platinum, PDCH-Bronze, VVD  Rocket Man

NATCH Sidheag, MXP2, MXJP2,  MFP, APD

Wynndzor, NCC, NAC, TGN, S-TN-E, O-WV-O, AX, AXJ, AXF,

At the Bridge

Ellie aka Mama Ellie, a terrier, yet Mother of Shelties
Misty Leigh
"Q!"

Amber Fountain

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »
Good luck and Congratulations on nearing this milestone.  It's very exciting and such a great accomplishment.

Took me and my first agility dog over 7 years to earn our first and his only NATCH.  He was always a kamikaze boy, with no self preservation.  I had never even heard of agility when we stumbled into it together, but we both got hooked on the sport pretty quick.  We came to NADAC, because he's a big guy and I didn't like the sounds he made when jumping (landing) with the higher jump heights in the other venues.  I loved that he could do Skilled and jump 16" even when it wasn't popular.  I enjoyed each achievement, but more than that I just really loved being able to play with my boy and experience so many new adventures with him.  We had our challenges, but he always ran his heart out on every course.  He's going on 13 now and he still loves to do an occasional Intro EGC or Tunnelers course.  He struts his stuff and gets so excited by the cheers of the crowd, it's just done at a much slower pace these days.   

I always said if I had started agility with my girl I would have given up on him right off, but that's really not true because he makes me smile every day... 

Enjoy every moment!

It sounds like the two of you have had some exciting times! I, too, love that NADAC gives different jump height options, plus now the option of doing shorter intro courses! I think he helps the dogs stay healthier long to jump lower, and the older dogs get that chance to have their fun on the shorter courses!
Round Rock, TX

Amber Fountain

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 05:07:12 AM »

Amber: what a great post!

Thanks, Robert! You have been a big part of us getting to where we are!

Round Rock, TX
Round Rock, TX