Author Topic: RIP Ezri Dax  (Read 3157 times)

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
RIP Ezri Dax
« on: July 15, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »
Ezri Dax          
July 5,1999 - July 15, 2015

Today, I said good bye to my first agility dog, Ezri.  She changed my life forever!

Getting Ezri was a fluke from the start.  “I” thought I needed a guard dog since I was living alone.  Well, that certainly wasn’t Ezri.  It was pure luck that I was able to get her.  She was the pick of the litter but was given up because her family decided against a puppy in a new house with no grass. 

She came to me on Labor Day, 12 weeks old and was promptly left in a crate all day the next day.  I had to go back to school.  As she grew, I was able to give her free run of the kitchen.  However, she was still bored and started chewing the legs of the chairs.  A friend suggested I put her in agility class.   She loved it!  Our first trial was at Star City, March 2001.  We ran a Novice regular course and it was a total disaster!  80 faults, she stopped at the top of the A-frame and then jumped off the middle of the dog walk.  We’ve come a long way since then.  Ezri retired from agility last July with 7,700 points, her Elite All Around Award, NATCH 8 and Versatility NATCH 6.  In addition to her agility career, she was a certified therapy dog who visited retirement homes.  I never dreamed that little black puppy could have such a profound effect on my life.

Ezri introduced me to the agility world.  Because of her, I have made countless friends and been to places I would not have otherwise had a chance to see.  She is the reason  I joined Star City Canine Club and became a trial chair.

Ezri’s health had been declining in recent months due to arthritis in her hips and back and she had lost her hearing and most of her eyesight.  This morning, when she refused to eat, I knew it was time to release her from her body.  She is now running free with Dax on the other side of the bridge.  I look forward to seeing both of them again when it’s my turn.

Linda Anderson
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: RIP Ezri Dax
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
I am so sorry, Linda.  You and Ezri had a long and happy career together.  What a great dog and we all appreciate that she brought you into the wonderful world of agility.  RIP Ezri, free of pain and running with enthusiasm and your forever happy attitude!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 09:45:37 PM »
So sorry for your loss Linda.  How lucky you and Ezri were to share a life together and all the fun and adventures that went along with that

Shirlene
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Deni

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
Hi Linda, we are so sorry to hear you lost this special girl. You're in our thoughts. 

Denise
Denise

AndreaL

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 04:49:34 AM »
Linda, I'm so sorry - Ezri was one of a kind, and the two of you were a great team out there.  It is amazing how a single dog can profoundly change the trajectory of a person's life.  I'll miss seeing her at the trials!

Andrea Lengi
Andrea Lengi
Brie, Pye-Dog, and Audie

Carole & Pat Daggett

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:26:56 AM »
Linda,

So sorry about your special girl, Ezri.  We met you when you were running Ezri and the two of you will always be linked in our memories.  You two were lucky to have found each other.  Our first agility dogs did indeed change our lives in ways that we could never have imagined when we got them.

Carole & Pat Daggett

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 07:33:34 AM »
Linda,
The agility community Ezri brought you to is also the community that understands the profoundness of your loss.  We grieve with you and for you.  I know I'm only one of many many who are sending you thoughts of comfort and love right now.
Vicki Storrs
Vicki Storrs

Jayme Martinez

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »
Very sorry.  I lost my beautiful Panda this past Monday

Heidi Konesko

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »
My condolences Linda. Those first agility dogs are really special.
-Heidi in NH
Heidi in NH with Hi Jack and newbie Maybelle
Sophie, Molly, and Penny waiting at the Bridge

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
So very sorry Linda - thinking of you and your pack
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

ResQ_Dogs

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 06:33:32 AM »
I'm so very sorry, Linda. Ezri has always had a special place in my heart, ever since I first saw her in Shelbyville back in 2009 & asked if we could take a picture with my dog, Summer. Ezri & Summer looked so much alike, especially as they became distinguished seniors.

I was so happy to run Summer with Ezri & Samantha on our "Before Color TV" senior dog team in Springfield in 2013! Ezri was still running fast & happy even though she was the oldest dog on the team! I'm glad I got a chance to see her again at our trial this past February. You took such incredibly good care of her in her senior years.

Summer & I send our sincere sympathy. I'm thinking of you.

Diane Driscoll
Diane Driscoll
Greensboro GA

SpringCrew

• NADAC Addict
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »
As I have told you before it is the end of an era.  I remember my first trial in December of 2001.  You and Ezri and Sarah and Just Mike were teams Minnie and I wanted to be like. We started our journey down the NADAC path together and have bonds of friendship that we all hold dear.  Hard to believe getting a dog would have such an impact unless you have been blessed as we have.  From local trial to Champs in Utah we have cheered for one another, all because Black Dogs Rule!  So while we must shed some tears for their passing we must smile at the lives they lived and the gifts they gave us.  Hugs
Tim Spring
If you aren't having fun you're not playing NADAC!