Author Topic: Agility CCL Injury Study  (Read 791 times)

Crystal Young

Agility CCL Injury Study
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:43 AM »
Sharing this information from a yahoo group that I am on.  Please follow link to survey if you'd like to participate.  Copied post follows

Crystal Young

Copied Post:

WSU Vet school is looking for agility dogs to study for CCL injuries. See below and please forward to other lists:

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:50 PM
To: Katherine Martucci
Subject: Research survey: CCL (knee ligament) injuries in agility dogs

Hello,

I am a veterinary student at Washington State University and am conducting research on cranial cruciate ligament (CCL, the dog’s equivalent of a human ACL) injuries in agility dogs. I am writing to request your club’s help recruiting additional cases for this project.

The project is designed to 1) identify potential risk factors for CLL injuries, 2) evaluate the likelihood of a dog returning to full function after a CCL injury, and 3) analyze factors that may influence the rate or quality of the dog’s return to full function.

Part of this research involves a questionnaire to be completed by agility dog owners. We would greatly appreciate it if you could distribute this information and survey link to your club members and connections through any channels you deem appropriate (Facebook, email lists, club newsletters, etc.) to help us with recruitment:

https://wsu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eV54enkt8FWOACx

A large sample of dogs is essential for the project. Any agility dog born after 1995 who ever suffered a CCL injury is eligible to participate, regardless of how the injury occurred or whether the dog returned to agility after recovery. Dogs will not be examined if they participate; the only data collected will be from owners (through this survey), the attending veterinarians (regarding treatment of the injury only), and public data from agility organizations.

We believe this research project is very important and need the support of agility venues, clubs, and competitors for it to succeed. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at kmartucci@...

Thank you!

Katherine Martucci

DVM Candidate, Class of 2017

Debra Sellon, DVM, PhD, DACVIM

Director, Veterinary Teaching Hospital

Washington State University

And our collaborators Dr. Michelle Powers, Dr. Denis Marcellin-Little, Dr. Kim Cullen, and Sarah Fernandezlopez
Crystal Young
Owned and loved by the Gray Ghost
NATCH 6 V-NATCH 6 All Around NATCH 2 Durango
Helena  MT