Author Topic: Another fun NAE trial in Greenfield, MA + new insight while in the shower! :)  (Read 1609 times)

tag team

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Thank you NAE for another wonderful weekend!  You really know how to put on a fun and efficient trial!  My experience could not have been any better!

And a BIG Thank You to Cheryl, my camping neighbor, who was kind enough to video tape our runs AND lend me an adapter so I could plug into city power.   Jake and Lil really appreciated the nice breeze provided by an electric fan! 

And now for my shower insight....  I was thinking about a conversation I had last year with an instructor, who happens to be a top ranked competitor in USDAA and AKC.  I had asked her what venue she thought my dog Jake would enjoy most, and she answered that she has never considered what her dogs might like and that she picks the venues she likes best.  That surprised me at the time but I now think that is the way most people choose venues and if they are decent enough trainers/ handlers, and fair to their dogs,  I'm sure most dogs do enjoy whatever venues are chosen for them.   And I think that is a perfectly fine approach to picking venues!

But for me, I really did want to figure out if my dogs had a preference.  And I think doing 2 weekends of NADAC in a row made me think that if they had a choice (which they do) they'd choose NADAC.  This insight came after 6+ months spent REALLY trying to figure out what venue would be best for my 2 Australian Terriers, since they both seem happy running a lot of different styles of courses.   

But I think they both really enjoy running fast and NADAC is so much about running.   I felt they ran with 100% confidence every single run. They also appeared to be totally relaxed in the NADAC trial environment...confirmed by perfect poops even after ingesting high-value treats for 2 days in a row :) and they both slept soundly through the night in my camper. And when we got back home last night, they raced around the backyard still full of energy vs. acting tired and more of the same today!

I think my dogs picked a perfect venue for me too.  I had such a nice, relaxing, and fun weekend, running my dogs, working some classes, chatting with fellow competitors, hanging out with a nice group of people in the evening talking about.... dogs and dog training!  What could be more perfect? 

Thank you Sharon for having the insight to create the NADAC experience for us all to enjoy!

Devorah Sperber (Jake and Lil)

Nancy H

• Stewie JRT-Agility Blog
Hi Deborah,

I was good to meet you at the NAE trial in Greenfield last weekend.  My dog Stewie, a Jack Russell Terrier, definitely gets a vote on what venue we compete in and he picked NADAC! His all time favorite thing is running full tilt and he loves Tunnelers the best! NADAC courses and NADAC people are the best. We hope to see you again soon!

NADAC or bust!
Nancy and Stewie JRT
Nancy and Skipper JRT

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
Dev,

It was great to have you with us AGAIN!

funny that you thought about that.. and now got me thinking...

I have only really *done* NADAC b/c I started agility with Kody my malamute MIX who was not allowed to play at one of the other venues and the 3rd venue available (back in the day when there were only 3 to choose from) was not attractive to me.

I have STAYED at NADAC out of loyalty to the mixed breed dog and because my dogs L.O.V.E. to run the NADAC courses and there are options for each of my dogs. Kody (a 24" dog) could jump 12" at 12 years old and play hoopers on the flat. Nika has events she loves and excels at that don't require her to weave (TNG & TN), and Kiva...well...Kiva just loves to run with flow and finds it naturally and that excites her.

When I have taken my dogs to other venues (and I am not bashing here at all) they have each told me in their own way that they do not prefer it. Kiva, for example, loses her confidence when I have to ask her to make all kinds of non-flowing jerky turns that just don't make sense - and her body repsponded by being completely trashed (according to her chiropractor!) I could tell she just didn't want to run the courses with the same gusto that we all know her to have.

So, as a well seasoned agility competitor and instructor I originally chose NADAC out of necessity...but I CHOOSE to stay  b/c my dogs like it AND I love my NADAC family!
  :-*
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

tag team

Nancy,  It was great meeting you too!  I enjoyed watching you and your Rockin' teammate, Stewie run!  Hope to see you again soon!  Devorah, Jake and Lil

tag team

Thanks Maureen.  It was great fun!  And what a nice group of people!!!!!  I enjoyed learning about your agility history.   Your dogs are lucky to have you as their mom!  Devorah, Jake and Lil ps-  Jake appears to be totally fine after his "crash and burn" moment on Sunday.  Yey for that!

CWilson966

Devorah,
  Glad I could help you out! Jake and Lil had some really nice runs, and looked like they were having lots of fun. Look forward to seeing you at future trials!.
Cheryl W.

Heidi Konesko

Dev, it was great seeing you and Jake & Lil again last weekend, burning up the turf!  And I really liked your camping setup with the cool orange '75 VW bus and orange accessories.  A classic!  And maybe you will add a little purple now? I too am only doing NADAC these days.  The atmosphere, the courses, and the people make it for me, and I think for my current dog too!   -Heidi & Penny
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
I was at an AKC trial recently where I saw a woman running her incredibly fast little poodles who had wonderful drive and distance skills.  I kept thinking how much those dogs would LOVE NADAC and I couldn't help myself...I went up to the woman and asked her (in a nice way!) why she didn't do NADAC trials.  She responded that she had at one time.  She went on to say that she wanted to do them again because that's the only time her now older dog had ever given her an excited happy "grrrr" when running in a trial.  She said she didn't usually find out about the trials in time, etc., but she had gotten a NADAC number for her younger dog and wanted to try it again.  I hope she does because I knows those dogs will be making many more happy "grrrrs" while running NADAC courses. :)
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)

Janice_Shavor

My third Pembroke Welsh Corgi (whose real purpose in life was to bring her handler a little humility) absolutely loved NADAC.  And since among other things, she could not physically do a table down or sit with a serial dog-stalking judge in the ring, she basically made NADAC a necessity.

But, 3 obstacles into a course, she could tell when we were running NADAC and she would get this silly corgi grin on her face and speed up!!

Janice Shavor
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker