Author Topic: Huntsville AL trial Halloween Weekend  (Read 726 times)

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Huntsville AL trial Halloween Weekend
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:33:38 AM »
North Alabama Canine Cruisers invites you to our (this year) Halloween weekend trial.  The premium link is

www.aguntcockers.com/nacc/

and go to our NADAC trial.  Love to see you there.

We do have day of trial entries and Intro level for all classes.

Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
Re: Huntsville AL trial Halloween Weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
Some questions and clarifications...my first trial so please excuse confusion/ignorance, i've been reading and re-reading manuals but sometimes it is a hard way for me to absorb information:

- Do we need to arrive at 7:15am, or is that just when check-in starts? I am only interested in tunnelers (mayyyyybe jumpers) which is towards the end of the day both days.

- I thought it was day-of entry allowed (it seems to say from the link), so long as it is before that game has started - so this kinda ties into the above point, say if I show up around noon (which I bet would be before tunnelers?) I could sign up then for intro tunnelers, correct?

- Intro jumpers - we can just at any height lower than measured, yes? Edraith I measured at 20" (best I can) so with standard that would be 16" jumps if I'm reading NADAC rules right, but I could jump her at say, 12" in Intro, and later even if I wish increase that jump height, even if staying in intro?

I'm sure it will probably make sense more once I'm there and can see but the sequence to run, trying to understand it clearly:
1) go to the start gate a dog or two in advance and wait there (I plan on staying 10 ft away so we can play focus game without being DQ'd)
2) walk in on lead
3) wait for the "Good Luck" from the judge
4) Unleash and set aside, preferably towards the side of the finish line (and hope no one is running to grab it during my start line and running it around while we are running...was reading that thread, YIKES)
5) Set my start line stay, at which point i cannot re-approach my dog at all once I start leading out
6) Run the course
7) Collect leash (do I go pick it up or do we get it handed to us?) - I've been working on her coming to me at the end and she likes to jump into my arms - is this allowed to carry her out? I assume a "YAYYY good girl!" which I do to signify the end, which she runs to me and likes to jump into my arms is not "rewarding" and dq-worthy?
8) re-leash and take dog out
9) can reward her after we are 10-ft outside the gate
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
Some questions and clarifications...my first trial so please excuse confusion/ignorance, i've been reading and re-reading manuals but sometimes it is a hard way for me to absorb information:

I am going to answer in line with your post.

- Do we need to arrive at 7:15am, or is that just when check-in starts? I am only interested in tunnelers (mayyyyybe jumpers) which is towards the end of the day both days.

The 7:15 time is for folks planning to be there that day and/or who need the judge to measure their dog.  Jumpers will be run first.  This is a tentative schedule.  Sometimes the course builds from one class to another or much easier in a particular order.  So, if things go as planned, yes, you could be there around noon to sign up for Tunnelers.  But on Sat Jumpers should have already run.

- I thought it was day-of entry allowed (it seems to say from the link), so long as it is before that game has started - so this kinda ties into the above point, say if I show up around noon (which I bet would be before tunnelers?) I could sign up then for intro tunnelers, correct?

Actually we had clarification on that last weekend.  You must sign up on day-of-trial entries before handlers start walking the Elite level.

- Intro jumpers - we can just at any height lower than measured, yes? Edraith I measured at 20" (best I can) so with standard that would be 16" jumps if I'm reading NADAC rules right, but I could jump her at say, 12" in Intro, and later even if I wish increase that jump height, even if staying in intro?

Remember, we plan to run Jumpers first both days.  That does mean showing up around 7:15 or 7:30.  Yes, you may run your dog at 12" in Intro.  Now if you are planning to run her in Novice also, that is much trickier.  You can do both but it might take some time for the trial secretary to do that.  Since she will be running her dog and doing the score table, allow an extra hour or more for this.

I'm sure it will probably make sense more once I'm there and can see but the sequence to run, trying to understand it clearly:
1) go to the start gate a dog or two in advance and wait there (I plan on staying 10 ft away so we can play focus game without being DQ'd)
2) walk in on lead
3) wait for the "Good Luck" from the judge
4) Unleash and set aside, preferably towards the side of the finish line (and hope no one is running to grab it during my start line and running it around while we are running...was reading that thread, YIKES)
Most folks here wait until the dog is about 3 obstacles out on the course and then pick up the leash (and collar) and move to about 15 feet from the finish obstacle.
5) Set my start line stay, at which point i cannot re-approach my dog at all once I start leading out
6) Run the course
7) Collect leash (do I go pick it up or do we get it handed to us?) - I've been working on her coming to me at the end and she likes to jump into my arms - is this allowed to carry her out? I assume a "YAYYY good girl!" which I do to signify the end, which she runs to me and likes to jump into my arms is not "rewarding" and dq-worthy?
She must go out on lead.  The leash runner will have the leash ready to put on.  If it is a slip lead, the collar part will be an open circle so you can put it on quickly.  If you are using a buckle collar, you will be hander the collar ready to put on.  I do know a handler who brings her dog in on a collar and then uses the leash as a slip lead to go out.  And yes, you can praise her.  She can jump into your arms but must have a leash on to go out.
8) re-leash and take dog out
9) can reward her after we are 10-ft outside the gate

If you still have questions, please contact me privately at jan.and.bbs@gmail.com
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
Thank you very much, that was super helpful!

I don't plan on doing novice. I have directional issues and the novice courses would be too hard for me to handle, the intro courses look way easier for this based on the VT layouts I've been looking at in the media section.

I have SAR on Saturday so I will miss morning for sure (and might only come Sunday, I'll need to gauge how she is doing).
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 06:44:12 AM »
Just a quick correction on my answers above:  The NADAC rule on day of entry is that you must sign up before the walkthrough for your level in that class.  So, for Jumpers, since the course changes each level, you must sign up for Intro before the Intro walkthrough starts.  The rule above is allowed if the club wants to require day of entry sign ups earlier.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker