Author Topic: Xtreme barrelers and Hoopers  (Read 4108 times)

Aurinko

Re: Xtreme barrelers and Hoopers
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 05:22:55 AM »
Hi everyone,
Are there any course maps of extreme Gaters and Chances? In the VT section I haven't seen any extreme course maps yet...
Thanks, Gerry

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »
There is no longer any Extreme Gaters or Chances, only Ex Hoopers and Barrelers.

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Aurinko

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 06:51:56 AM »
Good reason why they are so hard to find then ;)
Thanks!

The obstacles used in extreme Hoopers are just hoops and Gates, Am I right?
And the obstacles that can be used in extreme barrelers, is that mostly barrels or can you find different obstacles in those courses?

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 07:14:05 AM »
Good reason why they are so hard to find then ;)
Thanks!

The obstacles used in extreme Hoopers are just hoops and Gates, Am I right?
And the obstacles that can be used in extreme barrelers, is that mostly barrels or can you find different obstacles in those courses?

Hi, Gerry.  Ex-Barrelers has barrels, tunnels and hoops.  In the Elite level, the hoops can be touching the barrels and must be performed.  They are there to assist the judge in determining the dog has taken the most efficient path.  Not offered near me very often, but we've done them at Fun-raisers and pre-Champs and it is FUN!!!  My favorite is the X-Hoopers.  You're correct, only hoops and gates.  The fun part is that it forces you to work distance because of the Circle of Doom (one of several joking names for a polygon, actually) that forces distance handling.  It may look intimidating at first, especially if you're used to working closely with your dog, but you can see each other very easily and the distance isn't too great.  Just the issue of a light barrier between you.  I think you'll find that most dogs could care less about the barrier if the handler feels that way as well.  Another ingenious get-in-the-handler's head game that Sharon and Co. have invented over the years!  In my personal experience and from watching others run, most of the dogs don't even flinch unless the handler has a doubt. 
First time we played these games I might have been one of those.  At the time it was sort of a separate venue that we weren't likely to follow and I didn't really care about it.  And we had never seen it before but I decided to try it.  But because I didn't expect to be doing it much there was really no pressure as I saw it as a whim.  That first time, my 3 dogs ALL qualified!!  Of course, the next time I guess it mattered to me a little more and some slight stress entered my head as I wanted us to do even better.  So, naturally, I goofed them up!  But it was still fun.
Try it, you'll like it!!!  Good luck!
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Aurinko

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »
Thanks so much Richard!

Stress does have the tendency to make the same game slightly different ;) never easier

I'm from the Netherlands so I have to take care of that myself, we have no extreme games here, but it looks like so much fun and a fantastic challenge!
Great find of Sharon and Co! ;)

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
I agree, Gerry.  As in my tag line "the line is not your friend" neither is stress!  I still find it hard to leave it behind but have lightened up over the 15 years I've done NADAC!!  But NADAC courses are so much fun it helps!

Hey, If you're up to it, NADAC has a branch in Australia.  Why not the Netherlands!!!!

And BTW, my maternal grandfather was from a place he called 'Outergow from Blitzerdale".  He didn't spell it for me, that's sort of what it sounded like.  I never really understood exactly.  But maybe he meant Oudega?  He said he only spoke what he called "low Dutch" and I think he meant slang rather than formal.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:59:10 PM by Richard Wolfe »
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

MoabDiane

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 04:50:02 PM »
Gerry, in case you missed the discussion (somewhere....):  there is now a move to use metal exercise pens ("x-pens") instead of the plastic lattice gates.  Either one or the other is acceptable in competition (if and when you get it going there!).  They are easier to move around, just as easy to set up, and have multiple uses out of the game (like, keeping a dog confined!).  I use mine for all sorts of temporary fencing too.  If you need more info, I'm sure someone here can point you to that discussion (or maybe you can search for it).  It's a blast!

diane

Aurinko

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 01:29:03 AM »
I agree, Gerry.  As in my tag line "the line is not your friend" neither is stress!  I still find it hard to leave it behind but have lightened up over the 15 years I've done NADAC!!  But NADAC courses are so much fun it helps!

Hey, If you're up to it, NADAC has a branch in Australia.  Why not the Netherlands!!!!

And BTW, my maternal grandfather was from a place he called 'Outergow from Blitzerdale".  He didn't spell it for me, that's sort of what it sounded like.  I never really understood exactly.  But maybe he meant Oudega?  He said he only spoke what he called "low Dutch" and I think he meant slang rather than formal.

Having fun is the most important thing!

Great idea Richard ;D

In have put the question out to a friend, this is what I know: Oudega is a place in Friesland, that's in the North of the Netherlands (top left corner) and it could be he spoke Frisian which is the local (or provincial) slang.
So if I get more info I will let you know!

Gerry, in case you missed the discussion (somewhere....):  there is now a move to use metal exercise pens ("x-pens") instead of the plastic lattice gates.  Either one or the other is acceptable in competition (if and when you get it going there!).  They are easier to move around, just as easy to set up, and have multiple uses out of the game (like, keeping a dog confined!).  I use mine for all sorts of temporary fencing too.  If you need more info, I'm sure someone here can point you to that discussion (or maybe you can search for it).  It's a blast!

diane

I did miss that Diane, thanks, I know those, and they are easy indeed and multiple use is always great. Are they used for the straight sides too, so not the circle part but the 2 lines to the side?
Do they attach them to the circle then? Just trying make a mental picture here...

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 05:31:38 AM »

Having fun is the most important thing!

Great idea Richard ;D

In have put the question out to a friend, this is what I know: Oudega is a place in Friesland, that's in the North of the Netherlands (top left corner) and it could be he spoke Frisian which is the local (or provincial) slang.
So if I get more info I will let you know!

diane

I did miss that Diane, thanks, I know those, and they are easy indeed and multiple use is always great. Are they used for the straight sides too, so not the circle part but the 2 lines to the side?
Do they attach them to the circle then? Just trying make a mental picture here...

If you want a visual, there are photos posted, and a fair amount of discussion/description on a forum  thread. Go to "Home" on the Forum. Select the EGC GENERAL DISCUSSION option header.  There will be a thread there titled XHP Equipment Preference that was begun, as I recall, in December 2015 that gets around to using the ex pens (it's not a long thread, 2 pages I believe) and includes some photos from LeeAnne in a post on the second page--though Sharon I think adds a later qualifier that a "regulation" circle is a little larger/uses more ex pens than are shown in the photos, but seeing the set up is still a big help. NADAC regulations require the pens to be 36" and they say you need 6 or 7 sets to do a full size circle. (Of course if You have little dogs and am ONLY using them for practice I might save $ and buy shorter sets for my home use.)
Hope this helps!
Vicki Storrs
Vicki Storrs

Aurinko

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »

If you want a visual, there are photos posted, and a fair amount of discussion/description on a forum  thread. Go to "Home" on the Forum. Select the EGC GENERAL DISCUSSION option header.  There will be a thread there titled XHP Equipment Preference that was begun, as I recall, in December 2015 that gets around to using the ex pens (it's not a long thread, 2 pages I believe) and includes some photos from LeeAnne in a post on the second page--though Sharon I think adds a later qualifier that a "regulation" circle is a little larger/uses more ex pens than are shown in the photos, but seeing the set up is still a big help. NADAC regulations require the pens to be 36" and they say you need 6 or 7 sets to do a full size circle. (Of course if You have little dogs and am ONLY using them for practice I might save $ and buy shorter sets for my home use.)
Hope this helps!
Vicki Storrs
[/quote]

thanks for the help Vicki
I found the alternative gate circle threat from may 2015, there was a picture there (on the top of the page, it was only on page) but it says attachment cannot be found. I couldn't find the XHP Equipment Preference thread, I went back to 2014.
Gerry

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 06:55:04 AM »
Gerry, I started that thread.  It is about the fifth down from the top.  I was trying to figure out whether to build more gates (didn't have enough) or just go with the x-pens.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Aurinko

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:28 AM »
Gerry, I started that thread.  It is about the fifth down from the top.  I was trying to figure out whether to build more gates (didn't have enough) or just go with the x-pens.

Thanks Janice!

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 04:27:07 AM »
Will Xhoopers and barrelers be available for VT runs now that it is scored like the other classes?

This would give people incentive to set and train for these classes :) 

Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »
Will Xhoopers and barrelers be available for VT runs now that it is scored like the other classes?

This would give people incentive to set and train for these classes :)

At some point, but not for the next two months for sure.  We already have VT courses assigned and to add more isn't feasible right now.  We want to see the courses run in trials for at least two months before adding them to VT sets.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility