Author Topic: attaching rubber to new contacts  (Read 2263 times)

twomuttmom

attaching rubber to new contacts
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:20:53 PM »
Need to know what type of adhesive to use to apply NADAC approved rubber to wooden decking on aluminum contacts....also what tool is best to use to spread the  adhesive....any help with directions will be greatly appreciated...

Karen Pedersen
Fundog Agility
Northeast Illinois

Alanna Leach

Re: attaching rubber to new contacts
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:39:37 PM »
Not sure if this is in your budget ... but, if you put aluminum decking on instead of wood, you will have a 'lifetime' piece of equipment ... indoors or out.  I just screwed the rubber on my aluminum decking.  It will be very light as well.

Alanna Leach
Avalon Agility
Alberta, Canada

Sent by Alanna Leach from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Alanna Leach

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »
I have aluminum and was told to use contact cement to attach my rubber.  Haven't tried it yet.  Winter job.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:31:35 PM »
I use Chemrex 948 - it's an industrial adhesive that comes in caulk tubes.
Last time I got the larger tubes and all I needed was the caulk gun and a trowel.

Apply it to the surface, spread it out with the trowel, spray lightly with water, then let it sit for 20 min or so. After that apply the rubber and I usually turn the contacts rubber side down and weight them (especially on the edges and corners) and let them sit for a couple days to cure.

I have never had to use screws and this glue sticks, so make sure you really want it on there! :)
I used this with the older 3/4" rubber about 10 years ago and that stuff is still holding on just fine even after being outdoors full time the past 5 years. I've used it with both wood and aluminum surfaces. If you can rough up the aluminum a little before applying, that works best.

Lindsey
www.mountaindogsports.com

twomuttmom

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 03:15:52 AM »
thanks so much for all of your help

Karen
Fundog Agility

twomuttmom

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 03:04:38 AM »
Linda Anderson....found out our decking is aluminum and it has been suggested we use contact cement also....doing it this weekend so will let you know how it goes..

karen pedersen
fundog agility

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »
We use 3M 1300L to attach the rubber to fiberglass skin.  It is an adhesive used for rubber gaskets in aircraft windows, etc., and the best price I have found has been at SkyGeek.com http://search.skygeek.com/?vwcatalog=stylespilotshop&keywords=1300L&x=0&y=0

I usually use throw-away "chip" brushes to apply it because there is no getting the adhesive off of the brush.   It dries FAST, so you need 2 people. One person to "roll down" the rubber while the other applies the adhesive.  I also use a heavy pipe to roll out any bubbles. Then, like Lindsey, I put it contact side down and weight it overnight.  Then I trim the excess with a carpet/tile knife. 
Jeff L.

quamashbcs@yahoo.com

• Agility Junky
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »
What is a good source for aluminium decking for the AFrame?
Frances Hannan
NATCH2 V-NATCH Wednesday TN-E-600
FitzRoy IAC S-ICC S-IJC TN-E WV-I O-HP-I
Jessica & Blaze (angels)

twomuttmom

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
Linda Anderson....today we attached the rubber to our aluminum contacts using DAP Contact Cement.   It rolled on with a roller and used a brush to make sure it was on the sides, ends, and corners......let it cure for 15 minutes before we applied the rubber to the contact......make sure your work area is well ventilated.....was easier than I thought it would be. 

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »
Linda Anderson....today we attached the rubber to our aluminum contacts using DAP Contact Cement.   It rolled on with a roller and used a brush to make sure it was on the sides, ends, and corners......let it cure for 15 minutes before we applied the rubber to the contact......make sure your work area is well ventilated.....was easier than I thought it would be.
Thanks so much for the information.  I plan to get my son, an auto mechanic, to help me some time next month.  He can do it over the weekend at the shop where he works.   Wish us luck.
Linda

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »
Thanks so much for the information.  I plan to get my son, an auto mechanic, to help me some time next month.  He can do it over the weekend at the shop where he works.   Wish us luck.
Linda

Gee, can you send your son here for awhile?  Do you have another son who is a carpenter?  I keep my son so busy he doesn't have a minute left over for "other" stuff!!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 05:42:45 AM »
Linda
Sorry  =(  Since it's just me, I need him for all kinds of things.  I just have to have patience since he has a long "to do" list.
Linda

Gee, can you send your son here for awhile?  Do you have another son who is a carpenter?  I keep my son so busy he doesn't have a minute left over for "other" stuff!!!

Sharon

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »
Linda
Sorry  =(  Since it's just me, I need him for all kinds of things.  I just have to have patience since he has a long "to do" list.
Linda

Sharon
Sharon, your son is pretty amazing!  I'm like you, I only have one but I'm very grateful for him.  Maybe you can talk Chris into getting you a grandson!  LOL
Linda