Author Topic: PVC lubricant  (Read 2094 times)

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
PVC lubricant
« on: December 24, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
I am using pvc tees plus a cross piece as a weave aid.  But sometimes I need to pull everything apart.  And some of the pvc fittings stick.  So, has anyone tried, for any reason, a pvc lubricant that worked?  Or just as important, substances that did not work and made undoing things much more difficult.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
Re: PVC lubricant
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »
I am using pvc tees plus a cross piece as a weave aid.  But sometimes I need to pull everything apart.  And some of the pvc fittings stick.  So, has anyone tried, for any reason, a pvc lubricant that worked?  Or just as important, substances that did not work and made undoing things much more difficult.
For me, the problem I have is that they slip too easily.  When not glued together, the dogs knock the weaves over.  But if you just HAD to lubricate them for some reason, why not Vaseline?
Richard Wolfe
Rumor and Raven
Sparkle HOF and Rowdy, Gold Achievement Cup waiting at the Bridge

Pam Kaye

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:07:14 PM »
I'm with Richard as far as wanting mine to stick instead of not-stick, but how about WD40?
Pam Kaye
Cash, Cirrus and Flame
Sequim, WA

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
Hi!

Big Box home improvement stores and auto parts stores sell pure, silicone, spray lubricants...............USE SPARINGLY........................a little goes a long way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al, Pelli & Katie
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Lynn in VT

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »

For me, the problem I have is that they slip too easily.  When not glued together, the dogs knock the weaves over.  But if you just HAD to lubricate them for some reason, why not Vaseline?
[/quote]

I've had continuing annoyance from my hoops slipping apart too easily -- And gluing them is out because I need to take them apart for storage.  I've found that if I slide a piece of surveyors tape over the end of the pvc that I am inserting into the T, that is about enough to make the joint tighter and keep them together while moving them about -- and it does not make them hard to disassemble when I need to.

Lynn in VT
Lynn in VT
& Mia & Zodi & Redi

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
That sounds good.  I usually fill the gap with folded paper.  A strip of emery cloth would be good also.
Richard Wolfe
Rumor and Raven
Sparkle HOF and Rowdy, Gold Achievement Cup waiting at the Bridge

Pam Kaye

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 04:49:03 PM »
Lynn,

Someone several years ago (was it Gary V?)  put lengths of inner tube on the hoops to keep the PEX in the PVC.  That works great.  (I should do it to mine, but would rather fight with them every time I move them around, I guess).  Just a couple of inches sort of attaches the PEX to the PVC
Pam Kaye
Cash, Cirrus and Flame
Sequim, WA

Lynn in VT

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »
Lynn,

Someone several years ago (was it Gary V?)  put lengths of inner tube on the hoops to keep the PEX in the PVC.  That works great.  (I should do it to mine, but would rather fight with them every time I move them around, I guess).  Just a couple of inches sort of attaches the PEX to the PVC

Thanks! I remember seeing NADAC hoops with that inner tube at the joint of the PVC and PEX -- I thought it would be a great way of keeping the rain from filling the tubing.  (I also thought it made the bare cut of the PVC less of a risk to the dog.)  Now I know the original reason!

Lynn
Lynn in VT
& Mia & Zodi & Redi

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »

Vasoline works.  I have the same issue with them sticking too tightly and not wanting to come apart.  Sometimes the vasoline must be wiped off, since dirt sticks to it.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 06:58:02 AM »
Great big thanks!  I didn't want to use anything that made the sticking worse in this case.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker