Author Topic: Approved Rubber for Contacts  (Read 2279 times)

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
Approved Rubber for Contacts
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:39:05 AM »
I did do a search but couldn't find a thread with a listing of approved surfaces.

I am aware of Shipp Belting but it would be $200 to cover an A-frame. Seems so crazy overpriced.

Rubber granules with the adhesive binding stuff would be $200+

What other options are there? I mean I can get treadmill rubber for free from busted treadmills, super gripy and not really any different from the Belting stuff. I mean, it is *meant* for running on and being grippy. I have a source for rubber from mine belts too, again, grippy rubber.

Online it says
Quote from: nadac equipment specs
Contact obstacles should always provide a non-slip surface that provides good traction for the dogs without being so rough as to damage the dog’s pads. Surfaces must be maintained on a regular basis so that dogs will not slip when performing these obstacles.

Most equipment builders have found that products such as Skid-Free, No-Skid, Skid-Tex, Deck-Tec or other such products will provide a better traction surface than using a large, coarse sand mixture. Most of these products, when mixed heavily with paint, will provide a non-slip surface that also works well when wet.

Rubber surfacing is highly recommended, but MUST be approved by NADAC.

So I guess my question is - what rubber is approved? I mean you can even get rubber matting from Home Depot for only about $2 a square foot that seems really nice. And for my contact trainer, I just used the rubberizing spraypaint from Rustoleam, two to three coats of that is a nice "sticky" but not rough surface.

Does anyone have a list of exactly which rubbers are approved? specifically questioning repurposing treadmill rubber and stuff. Seems like a good recycling usage from busted treadmills. they are great high quality non-slip rubbers!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:08:06 AM by Edraith »
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Approved Rubber for Contacts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:27:27 AM »
For NADAC, there are 2 rubber surfaces approved:  the Shipp Belting and the rubber granules found on the Clean Run web site.  Although the rubber granules come in colors, they make for very heavy skins and they cost far more than the Shipp Belting.

Part of the restriction is that for trials, surfaces need to be tested over time and in various weather conditions.  You can put whatever you want on your practice equipment.  For trials and VT runs, you must have approved surfaces.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

James Bell

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:23:48 AM »
So the next question would be whether there is a process for getting something else approved, e.g. use it on practice equipment and weather it and then send samples, or....?

She's got some interesting possibilities. If shock testing comparisons could be thrown in...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

James Bell

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
Yes, I would wonder as well. There is rubber non-skid kennel flooring that has texture like the Shipp stuff, and it would be only $80 (free shipping) to cover an A-frame. I understand you want quality, but there are a TON of great rubber options out there.
For example> RECYCLED rubber granules (there is one supplier and they supply all these colored rubber granules it is pretty durn obvious, not sure why you'd have to order from Clean Run) much cheaper than paying CLean Run's markup.

Tuff n Tastic anti-slip flooring, it is sold on a number of dog sites for bumped up cost but this is the more direct and hence no middle-man markup. $48 and a 4x8 sheet, get two and your A-frame is covered. It was designed for outdoor weather and is 1/8" thick to allow for cushioning, and is textured to be lightweight. I'm not sure how this could be said "no" to, because it is everything the rest is, at a better price point and even better (due to less weight!) http://www.rubberflooringexperts.com/industrial/anti-slip-flooring/tuff-n-lastic-anti-slip-flooring.html  I would think this falls under the anti-slip clause in the rules. It has to be much safer and better than sand!

I guess it is just this - agility is EXPENSIVE. We build our own stuff to get around the labor cost. But the rubber granules and specialty stuff are going to have HUGE markup because it is a limited market. There are a TON of appropriate - even potentially BETTER - products for LESS! Why? because they have been used for much longer, developed much longer, and for a much wider market so the cost is less, and the development process is already done!

So how do we get other surfaces approved? What is the process? Because I sure as heck am not spending $200+ for covering, I'll use the listed texture ad-ins to paint. I would MUCH rather have rubber! How can human tredmills, which have been worked on for decades for quality anti-skid rubber, for example, be terrible? Makes no sense to me...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:45:41 PM by Edraith »
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Karin

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »
Well there is cheap and there is tried and tested and stood up to thousands of dog paws.
We started trialing late 2006 and already encountered Ships belting on our first few Fun raisers. In all those years since there have been questions on where to get it and how to apply it, but not once have I come across a post as to how to get it off so it can be replaced..
Since you took the quote re, requirements out of the exhibitor book, lets just say that that is for trial purposes and Vt runs.
You can use what ever you see fit on your training equipment, as it won't get the same punishment as trial equipment.
Karin

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »
Everyone understands that, but only two products out of the hundreds (if not thousands) of rubber products seems...slim pickings. And I would assume there is a testing and approval method, as the judge above asked about? I mean shouldn't people be open to new ideas? Maybe I am just idealistic.  ;D
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Becky Woodruff

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:08:32 PM »
Everyone understands that, but only two products out of the hundreds (if not thousands) of rubber products seems...slim pickings. And I would assume there is a testing and approval method, as the judge above asked about? I mean shouldn't people be open to new ideas? Maybe I am just idealistic.  ;D
NADAC was the first to implement the use of rubber matted equipment many years ago.  We originally used horse stall mats that provided wonderful traction. However, it took an army to move the contacts.  We then tried the rubber matting that is used on the walls inside horse trailers, which worked as well as the stall mats and was lighter, however, it too was very heavy.  About that time, wheels on contacts were invented!  :)
A couple of our exhibitors investigated the use of the belting material, sent samples which we liked.  They obtained enough to cover their contacts and we evaluated it in use by a variety of dogs.   We then researched where to get it in bulk and found Shipp Belting in TX.  They never heard of agility but were very willing to work with us and cut the belting to our specifications.  NADAC acted as a clearing house, took orders from individuals and clubs and received shipments in massive bulk loads and then we shipped or delivered it to the majority of our clubs at the time.  The belting material is lighter, easy to handle when applying, very durable and most importantly has the right amount of traction in all weather conditions including very, wet.  It also does not get as hot as some other materials including sanded wood surfaces.  (We've proven this using a heat meter device).  We [NADAC] have some contacts that have had Shipp Belting on them for close to 10 years and have not been replaced.  It is also important to note that the belting material not only provides sufficient traction, it does not create too much traction, which is something to consider.
NADAC is open to considering additional rubber coating, material and you are welcome to research it and provide samples.  In order to be approved, we would need one of our representatives to be able to see the material "in action".  It would need to be applied to both contacts and we would need to be able to see and evaluate a variety of dogs performances in order to determine whether or not it meets our performance and safety standards.
For equipment to be used for sanctioned events, it must be pre-approved by NADAC.  Rules that pertain to a regular sanctioned trial also apply to our VT program.
As has been mentioned, you can use any material you want on your contacts for personal use.   If you find a material that meets the same standards as what we presently approve, you can certainly contact the NADAC Office and perhaps pursue the process for approval for use.
Thank you for this thread, it is always good to consider different options and to get clarification.
Becky
Becky Woodruff

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
Thanks for the good explanation!  Unfortunately I don't have the contacts to test new rubbers right now.  So I guess I'll stick with what is already approved. If somebody else could do it I think some of these options would be well worth looking into. Cheers !
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »
Shipp Belting is the only source of rubber matting that meets our criteria for "downhill" grip.  Almost all other rubber matting has "uphill" grip ratings.  We tested so many different types of matting, including 12-15 types made by Shipp Belting and the current "dog matting" is the only style that is made for conveyor belts that move all weight items on a downhill slope.  I don't have it in front of me, but it has to do with the length of upcurl and the amount of curl in the individual threads of the matting.  Under their ratings, the matting would last a lifetime for dog use!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lauri

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 07:48:49 PM »
I am looking into purchasing some contact equipment and want to make sure the rubber surfacing is approved before my purchase.
I am ordering a Dog Walk and an A-frame from Mad Agility. They are going to make them without slats for me but I would like to make sure that the surfacing material is approved. He (Mark) will be applying the fiberglass with rubber surfacing for me. Can you please verify that his material is approved.
Thank You,
Lauri Shields

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
I am looking into purchasing some contact equipment and want to make sure the rubber surfacing is approved before my purchase.
I am ordering a Dog Walk and an A-frame from Mad Agility. They are going to make them without slats for me but I would like to make sure that the surfacing material is approved. He (Mark) will be applying the fiberglass with rubber surfacing for me. Can you please verify that his material is approved.
Thank You,
Lauri Shields

I am not familiar with their equipment.  Maybe a judge or two that have judged where that surface has been used can send me input?

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »
I cant tell if it is rubber chips or what from their site, and so i dont know if this is useful, but in my extensive research there is one company that makes the rubber chips. All the agility places resell the same thing. That sort of redistribution is common. So i think, iirc, that rubber chips from one agility source is approved, so by extension, all rubber chips of that size (they come in 1mm, 3mm, and 5mm typically) so whochever size it is that agility place distributes, that size from any distributor should qualify.

Long scentence, sorry. Tldr there is one US source of rubber chips. So i would assume that so long as it is the same size used as the approved place uses, it should be fine. But should probably have permission from someone in this longer than i :)
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 07:27:39 PM »
I cant tell if it is rubber chips or what from their site, and so i dont know if this is useful, but in my extensive research there is one company that makes the rubber chips. All the agility places resell the same thing. That sort of redistribution is common. So i think, iirc, that rubber chips from one agility source is approved, so by extension, all rubber chips of that size (they come in 1mm, 3mm, and 5mm typically) so whochever size it is that agility place distributes, that size from any distributor should qualify.

Long scentence, sorry. Tldr there is one US source of rubber chips. So i would assume that so long as it is the same size used as the approved place uses, it should be fine. But should probably have permission from someone in this longer than i :)

I have had a very knowledgeable judge also report that it is basically "contact-a-coat" , which is an approved surface.

Just FYI, there are several distributors of the rubber chip material, some of which are not approved by NADAC.

The contact-a-coat is approved by NADAC and could be used, so you would be good!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lauri

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 08:21:25 AM »
Thank You everyone,
I emailed Mad Agility and the only information I got was that they use a rubber granule that they paint on. It is not a rubber mat. I have seen other equipment up at Sirius Ranch In Wasilla that came from Mad Agility and it seems very safe in all weather conditions and a great choice for contact surfacing.
Thank you again Sharon appreciate the quick reply.
Lauri