Author Topic: bonus runs  (Read 9741 times)

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
bonus runs
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
Sharon
I just wanted to confirm that bonus handlers can run either first or last in the class.
I assume that the club has the discretion regarding this.

Thank you
lisa
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: bonus runs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
Sharon
I just wanted to confirm that bonus handlers can run either first or last in the class.
I assume that the club has the discretion regarding this.

Thank you
lisa

Yes, I did confirm that.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Alanna Leach

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:19:05 PM »
So, you set the box and do your walk through and decide you want to try the bonus ... then run it after?

Alanna
Alanna Leach

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
Whoa Nellie! I must have missed something big.... Please tell me where to look for these changes. Bonus folks can run first *or* last? We set our own box??? My computer must have fizzled somewhere....

Thanks,
Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Alanna Leach

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »
Not 'set' our own box, lol! 

A

Sent by Alanna Leach from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Alanna Leach

Kyle

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:50:18 PM »
Thank you, Alanna! Obviously my eyes have fizzled, not my computer!  ;) But where do we find the new option of running first or last in the class? Will the judge let us know in the briefing or sometime else?

As far as your question...the way we've done them in the past is: when the judge and course builders are building the course they set down the box or line. Anyone that may *possibly* be interested in running the course as a Bonus gets 2 minutes of "private" walk through, then everybody gets to walk. Usually just before the end of the *whole* walk through is called, the gate steward or scribe or judge will ask who is going to run the Bonus and you must declare it then. Or, you can tell them ahead of time you want to do the Bonus. It's always been (but now maybe it's changed!) that the Bonus dogs ran first, the box or line was removed and then the rest of the class ran as scheduled.

Hope that helps,
Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Alanna Leach

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:56:48 PM »
Thanks Kyle.  I understand how bonus lines work currently  :). What I need to know is how it works if bonus dogs run last. 

Alanna
Alanna Leach

Kyle

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
Alanna - I'm darn curious about that too!! Want to be prepared in case a judge wants the Bonus runs at the end.... But it sure sounds like a pain in the derriere for the Course Builders who would have to set the box/line, at the end of the walk through have to pick it up, and at the end of the regular runs go out and set the darn thing again. (Having to help Course Build a lot, I figure I am allowed to gripe about double the work!  >:()

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Thank you, Alanna! Obviously my eyes have fizzled, not my computer!  ;) But where do we find the new option of running first or last in the class? Will the judge let us know in the briefing or sometime else?

As far as your question...the way we've done them in the past is: when the judge and course builders are building the course they set down the box or line. Anyone that may *possibly* be interested in running the course as a Bonus gets 2 minutes of "private" walk through, then everybody gets to walk. Usually just before the end of the *whole* walk through is called, the gate steward or scribe or judge will ask who is going to run the Bonus and you must declare it then. Or, you can tell them ahead of time you want to do the Bonus. It's always been (but now maybe it's changed!) that the Bonus dogs ran first, the box or line was removed and then the rest of the class ran as scheduled.

Hope that helps,
Kyle

Yes, that is the "normal" and "recommended" method of running bonus runs.  We have had one or two clubs want to run the bonus runs last, as they feel that makes their trial run more efficiently and the others don't have to "wait" for the bonus runs.  In those cases the lines would not be put down (like at champs) and the bonus handlers could look at the posted course and not see the lines until the end of the other runs.  My preference is to have them run first, but the clubs do have an option for running them last.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:05 PM »
Alanna - I'm darn curious about that too!! Want to be prepared in case a judge wants the Bonus runs at the end.... But it sure sounds like a pain in the derriere for the Course Builders who would have to set the box/line, at the end of the walk through have to pick it up, and at the end of the regular runs go out and set the darn thing again. (Having to help Course Build a lot, I figure I am allowed to gripe about double the work!  >:()

-Kyle

It is NOT the judges option, it is the club option.

If the bonus handlers run last, then the lines are not put down until the end.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »

-Kyle

I wouldn't expect it to ever come up.  It has been working well in the format we have been using.  So far, Lisa's club is the only club that has requested to have the bonus dogs run last, as they feel it will help with their running of the trial.  I will let them test it out and if the feedback doesn't support that format, then we will go back to bonus handlers always being first.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Many thanks for the clarity, Sharon! I got a little nervous there for a bit!  :P

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
The way I am understanding Lisa is that some dogs will run first and some last (bonus dogs that is )...same handler multiple dogs.  And that all bonus handlers have a choice as to if they want to run first or last.   I just would like to know since there are a couple trials coming up and want to have a correct answer for folks. 
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »
The way I am understanding Lisa is that some dogs will run first and some last (bonus dogs that is )...same handler multiple dogs.  And that all bonus handlers have a choice as to if they want to run first or last.   I just would like to know since there are a couple trials coming up and want to have a correct answer for folks. 
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good clarification.  I was definitely answering that they could ALL be either first or last, not both ways.   I understand that it is tough if one runs multiple dogs, but that is the handler choice on how many to run on any particular run as a bonus attempt.

No, I would not approve having dogs run both first AND last in the runs.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 11:10:49 PM »
From the amount of private input, it certainly does not appear to be a popular choice that some clubs let bonus dogs run first and some clubs let them run last after the handlers have been able to watch the running of the course for all of the previous dogs.  There are many excellent points being made for why the bonus dogs should not get that advantage.  Or that some get that advantage and others don't.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility