Author Topic: bonus runs  (Read 9731 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: bonus runs
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 09:28:22 PM »
Let's be sure to keep the conversation civil and productive.    I was a big pusher for getting the forum to be un-moderated.  So let's keep things friendly so my idea can be a good one 8)

Deni

• Judge
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 11:25:09 PM »
I personally like going first, however I'll try a bonus whether I'm first, last or anywhere in the middle. I would also try if I just had a map to decide (or even to run). Frankly, I don't care where anyone else runs in the order either. It doesn't help or hinder me one way or the other. Whatever works for each team and helps people have fun with their dogs!

I will admit I've had 'ah ha' moments while watching other handlers, both before and after I've run. This is usually on a tricky spot that I needed to see in action in order to understand what my dog needed from me. These moments haven't seemed to change my success rate though. (Dang it!)

Looking forward to seeing what 2016 brings!  Good luck to all whether trying bonuses or not!

Denise

Denise

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 11:32:58 PM »
I will say that all judges whom have asked and clubs that have asked about the running order because of this discussion, I have answered all questions that the bonus dog/handler teams must run first with no option for running last.

We can continue to discuss and I love input and all opinions, but for the time being for total consistency, all bonus teams run first.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 06:23:54 AM »

1.) It *could* be said that if Bonus dogs are last, that those handlers with multiple dogs, one or more of which may *not* be doing Bonuses, have an unfair advantage over those who only have one dog that is only running the Bonus. Running with a dog might give you a better idea of what idiosyncrasies may be encountered on the course and then you would have the advantage to apply that to your Bonus dog. The person who has no dogs to run without the Bonus would not have that advantage. It could be considered unfair advantage. Let's be quite clear that I am *not* including Champs in this - that is completely different.

My Not So Humble Opinion,
Kyle

Don't people running multiple dogs have that same advantage whether they're running bonus lines or not?

Thanks for asking for civility Chris, I was beginning to wonder if I really ever wanted to participate in the bonus program.

Gina Pizzo

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 09:01:20 AM »
Don't people running multiple dogs have that same advantage whether they're running bonus lines or not?

Thanks for asking for civility Chris, I was beginning to wonder if I really ever wanted to participate in the bonus program.

Gina Pizzo

:) Actually, when I was tossing this around with my husband, he was the one who thought of this!  ;D I just kind of said, "Hmmm...interesting. Didn't think of it that way." That's why I put the "could" in *'s. (It was more of a "Devil's Advocate" thing I threw out there.) And, yes, I figure you would be totally correct if someone is concerned about "advantages".

Gina - If you have a question on whether or not you want to participate in the Bonus Program, why not give it a whack? You may find it to be the most exhilarating thrill! To find that, for just a few moments, there's nothing else in the world but you and your dog, having this private communication, this intense conversation about accomplishing something pretty darn fun and cool, is like nothing else...you're gonna LOVE it!  Please forgive a few moments of politically incorrect passion from some of us who have a reeeeeally bad addiction to this silly game.  ;D

Very Sincerely,
Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »

Gina Pizzo

:) Actually, when I was tossing this around with my husband, he was the one who thought of this!  ;D I just kind of said, "Hmmm...interesting. Didn't think of it that way." That's why I put the "could" in *'s. (It was more of a "Devil's Advocate" thing I threw out there.) And, yes, I figure you would be totally correct if someone is concerned about "advantages".

Gina - If you have a question on whether or not you want to participate in the Bonus Program, why not give it a whack? You may find it to be the most exhilarating thrill! To find that, for just a few moments, there's nothing else in the world but you and your dog, having this private communication, this intense conversation about accomplishing something pretty darn fun and cool, is like nothing else...you're gonna LOVE it!  Please forgive a few moments of politically incorrect passion from some of us who have a reeeeeally bad addiction to this silly game.  ;D

Very Sincerely,
Kyle

To be honest with you every run is like that for me.  My dog really likes her distance and requires it, but we don't have anywhere to train it.  No one here teaches distance and even if they did our training is mostly in fairly small spaces.  Running even without attempting a bonus is totally different than class because the size of the ring and layout of the course encourages the speed and distance that Abbey wants, but I don't have the timing and the cues down because we never get to practice what actually happens at a trial.  I often feel like I'm in no mans land because I can't find a place to handle from.  I can't be close and I can't be at bonus line distance (we lose the connection).  I really don't like "just trying things" at a trial because I think it's unfair to both of us.  I'm not really sure how I feel about the real bonuses, but the "mini" bonuses might be ok for us.  Looking forward to seeing some of them.

Gina

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »
As someone who doesn't run bonus lines, (I have attempted a few here and there, but my dogs just are not the bonus type dogs), I actually prefer the bonus dogs to go last.  I like to watch bonus line dogs, but running a 4/8" dog, I often run first and don't get to watch them run because I am getting my dog ready to run. 

Also, there is always a bit of confusion when the bonus dogs run first.  We never know if there are actually any bonus dogs running or how many may be running.  Therefore we never really know when we need to get to the line.  I have often rushed my dog to get to the line, only to have 4-5 bonus dogs in front of me that I didn't know about.  Other times, I have THOUGHT that there were bonus runs and there weren't.  I end up rushing my dog again because they are calling me to the line.   

As far as the line down, I have been at trials where they simply tell us where the line is and don't really put down a line anyway.  Maybe they can't do that anymore, but that is how I did my few bonus lines....

I don't think it gives ANY advantage to those who do bonus lines to go last.  Most of the people who do them are awesome handlers and have no need to watch someone else handle because they KNOW what to do with their dogs.  I can't see where it is a benefit either way for handlers who might try courses once in a while either as their attention is on their dogs not on the course.  It does give those of us who don't attempt the lines at this point the opportunity to watch them without worrying about our dogs run.  Heck, by being able to watch and see what it is all about, it may actually encourage some people to attempt those lines.
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »
As someone who doesn't run bonus lines, (I have attempted a few here and there, but my dogs just are not the bonus type dogs), I actually prefer the bonus dogs to go last.  I like to watch bonus line dogs, but running a 4/8" dog, I often run first and don't get to watch them run because I am getting my dog ready to run. 

Also, there is always a bit of confusion when the bonus dogs run first.  We never know if there are actually any bonus dogs running or how many may be running.  Therefore we never really know when we need to get to the line.  I have often rushed my dog to get to the line, only to have 4-5 bonus dogs in front of me that I didn't know about.  Other times, I have THOUGHT that there were bonus runs and there weren't.  I end up rushing my dog again because they are calling me to the line.   

You should let the clubs know those concerns.  Most gate stewards announce at the end of the walk through how many bonus dogs will be running first.

If the club is not letting the exhibitors know what is happening, that definitely causes frustration.  It is not something we can fix, it has to be addressed at the club level and how they organize their trials.  Be sure to let the club know that exhibitors would like to know at the end of a walkthrough if there are any bonus dogs running and how many.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility