Author Topic: NADAC Skills Webinar - Efficient Barrel Performances with Amanda Nelson  (Read 2673 times)

Amanda Nelson

• Fluid Motion Agility
  • Judge
  • Fluid Motion Agility-For the Athlete in Your Dog!
    • Fluid Motion Agility
The recording below is from the NADAC Skills - Efficient Barrel Performances Webinar,  I will be announcing more of these free webinars in the next two weeks!

Amanda Nelson
Online Classes and Private Lessons available!
--
For the Athlete in Your Dog!
www.fluidmotionagility.com

LeeAnne McAdam

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Lots of great information.  Thanks, Amanda!!
Lee Anne

Mary Kapner

Thank you -- didn't get home early enough to watch even though I had registered.  Sorry.  You answered a couple questions I would have had.  Also, a good refresher for me since I had taken an online class with you a while back regarding this subject.  I appreciate that you are so very clear on your explanations.
Mary Kapner
"Poodle This!"

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
The webinar was very informative and I've already tried the hoops around the barrel. My girls did great but we need more practice before I'll try it without the barrels.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Amanda Nelson

• Fluid Motion Agility
  • Judge
  • Fluid Motion Agility-For the Athlete in Your Dog!
    • Fluid Motion Agility
With all the discussion about barrels I thought I "bump" this webinar to the top. :-D

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Amanda Nelson
Online Classes and Private Lessons available!
--
For the Athlete in Your Dog!
www.fluidmotionagility.com

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
Thanks Amanda!  I'll have to take a listen as soon as I have some free time.

Gina and Abbey

Heidi Konesko

Thank you Amanda!
Heidi in NH
Heidi in NH with Hi Jack and newbie Maybelle
Sophie, Molly, and Penny waiting at the Bridge

A Jussero

I really have some concerns about the new barrel obstacles.  Placing fuzzy toy-type whiskers, cones that we use to train other things, stuff on the grass/floor--now the barrel has become four obstacles instead of one in addition to a required path.   In addition, the dogs will be facing three different obstacles at different trials depending on what each club uses and/or the running surface.  For those of us who train alone and without facilities, purchasing all these different items, determining what is going to be used at the few trials we get to attend is going to be a bit more of a challenge.  I actually trained barrels using the hoops back when, then faded out the hoops and now will try to re-train for various distraction obstacles (even the bonus line tapes that are often left on course).    I really wish you had left the wide path on a barrel as simply a time consuming issue as it is with all other obstacles.  Sorry to vent, just getting frustrated trying to keep up with the venue I love.

Ann J.

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
I really have some concerns about the new barrel obstacles.  Placing fuzzy toy-type whiskers, cones that we use to train other things, stuff on the grass/floor--now the barrel has become four obstacles instead of one in addition to a required path.   In addition, the dogs will be facing three different obstacles at different trials depending on what each club uses and/or the running surface.  For those of us who train alone and without facilities, purchasing all these different items, determining what is going to be used at the few trials we get to attend is going to be a bit more of a challenge.  I actually trained barrels using the hoops back when, then faded out the hoops and now will try to re-train for various distraction obstacles (even the bonus line tapes that are often left on course).    I really wish you had left the wide path on a barrel as simply a time consuming issue as it is with all other obstacles.  Sorry to vent, just getting frustrated trying to keep up with the venue I love.

Keeping it as a time issue as opposed to defining an acceptable path just wouldn't work in a fair way.  It would mean that a super fast wildly inefficient dog who may or may not even know he/she is performing a barrel could theoretically gain a Q.  A slower dog who performs the barrel nicely albeit slowly could miss out on a Q.  So the bottom line is there has to a performance criteria and there has to be an acceptable path deeming that the dog is performing the barrel.  There were perceived issues when left to the Judges "eye".....there were perceived issues when hoops were suggested.  I think the whiskers/beanbags or cone idea should be applauded IMHO.  The barrel is an amazing obstacle and yes you bet a challenging one where the path must be handled "precisely" by the handler.

Shirlene Clark
Australia

Janice_Shavor

A couple of us got together for a VT Weavers run using the Erie course set.  And my friend's comment on finishing the run (course had only 1 tunnel and only 1 barrel) was something to the effect that this was a prime example of a path fault for the bi-directional path for the barrel.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Lorelei Purdy

• Judge
Great video and info, thanks for sharing.
Lorelei Purdy
Lorelei Purdy
Forest Lake, MN